Author Topic: Prompt of the week!  (Read 33212 times)

dmeck7755

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: Prompt of the week!
« Reply #495 on: May 22, 2022, 12:49:06 PM »
Spoiler: show

Michael intentionally sent Mikkel to the Silent World on a grossly underfunded expedition, nearly a suicide mission?  Wow.

Maybe he did not know.  He can’t know all the goings on.  Especially for an underfunded suicide mission to silent Denmark….or maybe he did.

🤔
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #496 on: May 22, 2022, 12:49:57 PM »
Michael wouldn't have known that Mikkel would be hired, would he? When the decision was made, the team had not been picked.

Hadn't they?  Trond might have already decided on Mikkel -- or possibly Michael told him to hire Mikkel as a condition of funding at all.  And even if not, Michael could have warned Mikkel, or taken action to increase funding once he learned Mikkel was going.  Though I kind of like the first idea, that Michael tried to use the expedition to rid himself of his unloved twin.

tehta

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #497 on: May 22, 2022, 01:04:12 PM »
I do agree that this is a great, dark idea!

On my own side, i.e. that of stupid comedy, I might consider making Emil the surprise son of Michael, Mikkel's twin, who is believed to be dead.
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #498 on: May 22, 2022, 02:06:12 PM »
Wait, y'all want wild ideas?

Michael and Mikkel were together in the military effort that resulted in the Great Defeat of Kastrup. Mikkel was kicked out in time, Michael presumed dead - but in reality, he had jumped the bandwagon to the other side, having had the idea of bringing back valuable books from Denmark back then already. Which he pursued full-time once he had been declared dead, with remarkable success, right up until the expedition did the "we brought back books ... oops, how come these sell for a fair price!?" routine and thus drew the government's attention to the fact that there's riches to be claimed - or taxed. Unaware of the news, Michael got caught smuggling in his next boatload of books, then identified, his entire family interrogated (but found innocent, of course), thus learning the true fate of Michael, then Michael served jail time - all while hard feelings have festered some more on both sides.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #499 on: May 22, 2022, 02:23:36 PM »
Ooh, nice.  It's occurred to me as well that Kastrup would be a great opportunity for somebody to desert, flee to Sweden or Norway, and start a new life.  While all the boats and ships in Silent Denmark would be probably decayed beyond usefulness (though maybe there was something in a good drydock...), there ought to be enough sound wood to build a raft.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #500 on: May 22, 2022, 02:32:08 PM »
That question of finding usable boats some years post-apoc is a hard one. I explored it a bit in one of my ‘Very Far to the South’ stories, in which Warri needs to cross the Bight, and makes some very improvised low-tech repairs to a canoe. I really should finish and post the last chapter of that fic…..
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

JoB

« Reply #501 on: May 22, 2022, 05:29:03 PM »

While all the boats and ships in Silent Denmark would be probably decayed beyond usefulness (though maybe there was something in a good drydock...), there ought to be enough sound wood to build a raft.

The Danes built piers for their reclamation attempt, and Prøvesten is quite a ways from the Drogden tunnel's mouth and Kastrup airport, where they got steamrollered. I'd've been looking for a left-behind vessel there.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
« Reply #502 on: May 22, 2022, 05:49:03 PM »
This came to me a bit late (although I have had the basic idea for years), but it's till the 22nd somewhere!

It was a dark and stormy night. Boom! Boom! A loud knocking echoed in the main hall of Madsen Farm.
“Who could it be? This late at night?” Maja wondered.
“Well, whoever it is, they’ll have to come back tomorrow. I’m not getting up to open the door for anyone” Jens, her husband, grumbled. Jens pulled the bed covers up to his chin, but Maja got up.

In the entrance hall she met her brother. “Who do you think it is? Surely not him?”
With a frown, Michael responded “I haven’t heard from him in months. Which probably means he’s in trouble again. And that means…” Michael opened the door.

And of course it was him. Their brother Mikkel was standing at the porch, soaking wet in the rain. “Oh, finally! There you are, my beloved siblings!”
“What” asked Michael, his frown deepening, “are you doing here at this time of night?”
“Well, it is my home.” Mikkel defended himself, flashing them his most lovable grin. Neither of his siblings were fooled.
“You surely don’t treat it like that. We could have used your help during potato planting. And the calving. And…” Mikkel made a nonchalant gesture.
“Mind if we take this inside? I’m kind of getting wet here.”

Sighing, Michael stepped back, letting in his prodigal brother. “Look, I’m too tired to sort this out tonight. I have been working all day.”
“Well, I have been walking all day to get to my family!”
“Oh yeah, that means you desperately need something again. Whatever it is, let’s discuss it in the morning. Night.” Maja left her candle with Mikkel, when she and Michael withdrew to their parts of the big house.

All the numerous Madsens who happened to be at the home farm, were finishing their breakfast in the large hall, when Mikkel slogged in. The news of his arrival had already reached also the families living in the smaller houses, so most just greeted him. Some of the younger children ran to him, asking for stories and sweets, which their adventurous uncle usually brought when he (rarely) visited the home farm. “Sorry kids, I didn´t bring any this time. I … left in a hurry.”

“Ooo! Were you chased by a troll?” “Are you in trouble? Mum says you are in trouble!” “Did you make a mayor angry again?” Mogens, Margarethe and Mathias were all talking at the same time. But as no candies appeared to be forthcoming, they soon lost interest.

After a while, it was just Michael, Mikkel and a couple of their siblings in the kitchen.
“So, spit it out. What brings you here?” Maja, who had a husband and children, was more or less the head of household. But in matters between the siblings, Michael as the eldest took the lead.
“Come on guys. I just wanted to see my family. Just look how little Maria has grown!”
“Her name is Margaret. You are not fooling anyone. You only show up, when you need money, or a place to hide. Which one is it?”
“Well, you see, it’s a funny story actually…”

Michael groaned. “Don’t tell me. You need both.”
“Well, my dear brother, in a word: yes. Due to circumstances entirely out of my control, it turns out I owe a sizable sum of money to certain parties in Mora.”
“Why don’t you just go to Iceland then? You have business there?”
“Yes, ah, the business in Reykjavik wasn’t quite as profitable as I was led to believe, so…”
“Fine, Norway then.”

“Norway is part of the problem. Or more specifically, a certain General Andersen. I owe him a favor, and he’s decided to call it in now. But his scheme is far too dangerous for a fine gentleman such as myself.”
“That’s our Mikkel all right. Always so “ready for adventure”, but when things get dangerous, he comes running home.” Malthe sneered.
“So, anyways, you have to hide me. And take care of this little monetary transaction.” Mikkel slipped a piece of paper to Michael.

“What! Are you crazy! 20 000 kronor! What makes you think we have such money!”
“I know we do. Just cough it up, I am also an owner of the farm.”
“You have some nerve! You never show, you never ever help, and now you are demanding 20 000 kr just like that!”
“Plus I need to lie low until autumn. I’m not going to go to that expedition that crazy old man is planning!”

“You know what. I am fed up with you. This time you will earn the money you are taking.”
“I’ll do anything! Seriously, I’ll make it worth your while! In fact, I have just the thing in mind where the family could stand to gain serious return on investment!”
“Don’t think you can lure us into your schemes. We’ll think about this, and how you will make up for this.”

In the evening, Mikkel and Michael are sitting together at the fireplace of the drawing room.
“I have made my decision. We’ll pull you out of the water one more time.”
“Great! I knew I could trust you! Blood is thicker than…”

“I’m not finished! There are requirements for you. Here’s what we’ll do. I will go to this General Andersen of yours, and send the money to Mora. You will stay put here.”
“I like this plan already!”
“I’m sure you do. You will shave, and…”
“I never shave! My sideburns are my pride and joy!”

“Exactly. The plan hinges on it. I will go as you, and you will stay here at the farm as me.” Mikkel paled visibly at this. “You see, I’m bored at the farm. I’ve been stuck here for years and years, while you are travelling the entirety of the Known World. I have spent my time well, and I know a lot of the world. But I want to see it outside of Bornholm. And I want you to take some responsibility for a change.”
“I… but… I’m not a farmer. I cannot stay here.”

“These are the options. Either you stay here as Michael, and take care of the farm, or you will leave empty handed and sort out your Mora and Andersen issues by yourself.”
“Not to forget Reykjavik” Mikkel muttered, more to himself than his brother. “But you are a farmer. What use could you possibly be for General Andersen’s expedition?”

“Like I said, I have read a lot. And I am a decent medic.”
“You tend to animals!”
“Yes, but also to humans. You are never around, you have no idea how often I need to patch up someone after a fall or a run-in with an irritated cow. And I can cook.”
“Since when can you cook? I’m sure Jens still does most of the cooking!”
“Well, ok, I’m not necessarily good at it. But I will be helpful. More helpful than you, because I have a sense of responsibility! Now, let’s go, we’ll trade clothes and I can be on my way in the morning.”

“Trade clothes? You are going to take my beard, and my clothes? I will look like a farmer!”
“This is, indeed, the gist of the plan.”
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #503 on: May 22, 2022, 05:55:08 PM »

The Danes built piers for their reclamation attempt, and Prøvesten is quite a ways from the Drogden tunnel's mouth and Kastrup airport, where they got steamrollered. I'd've been looking for a left-behind vessel there.

You mean a vessel left behind in the reclamation attempt?  I didn't think they'd have left any.  If there weren't any, I'd think the thing to do would be to go up to Helsingør and try to get across on a raft or whatever else you could find that floats, as that looks like the closest approach that wouldn't take you near the bridge.  This is just based on the map according to Wikipedia.

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #504 on: May 22, 2022, 06:09:49 PM »
Jitter, very clever! And how sad for Mikkel that Michael has now acquired a taste for adventure, not to mention the patronage of an influential Norwegian. He'll be stuck on that farm for a while. (I was going to say something about having to worry about the deception being discovered, but, hmm, would anyone on the team actually care about which of two similar names their medic/cook/team dad goes by?)

I suppose this could be yet another way in which the expedition got lucky: they got Sigrun, who definitely possesses skills above the expedition's pay-grade, and the Hotakainens, who, in spite of lacking any common sense, possess many relevant skills--and now Michael, who is presumably more useful than his failure of a brother! One might also say that Emil, the master of first impressions, is more competent than one would expect upon talking to him for five minutes. This all lends more credence to the theory that somebody wanted the mission to fail, and just got very unlucky when trying to assemble a team of losers.
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
« Reply #505 on: May 22, 2022, 06:21:09 PM »
This is something I came up with as an explanation for Mikkel’s (our Mikkel’s) shady Resume, when he clearly is very dependable. Or at least decently dependable. And it would go some way towards explaining his terrible shooting despite his military background.

But it’s a one-off, not part of my actual head-canon.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

dmeck7755

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #506 on: May 22, 2022, 06:47:30 PM »
Jitter,
So much fun.  Michael was In the silent lands. I like it!

Thank you
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #507 on: May 22, 2022, 09:19:24 PM »
Wait, y'all want wild ideas?

Michael and Mikkel were together in the military effort that resulted in the Great Defeat of Kastrup. Mikkel was kicked out in time, Michael presumed dead - but in reality, he had jumped the bandwagon to the other side, having had the idea of bringing back valuable books from Denmark back then already. Which he pursued full-time once he had been declared dead, with remarkable success, right up until the expedition did the "we brought back books ... oops, how come these sell for a fair price!?" routine and thus drew the government's attention to the fact that there's riches to be claimed - or taxed. Unaware of the news, Michael got caught smuggling in his next boatload of books, then identified, his entire family interrogated (but found innocent, of course), thus learning the true fate of Michael, then Michael served jail time - all while hard feelings have festered some more on both sides.

I hope it's okay with you that I wrote a story based on this.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #508 on: May 23, 2022, 12:21:46 AM »
Some of this stuff hits close to where my WIP is going!
(although I haven't much appetite for conspiracy/espionage stories)

Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

JoB

« Reply #509 on: May 23, 2022, 02:36:41 AM »
You mean a vessel left behind in the reclamation attempt?  I didn't think they'd have left any.

A ship needs a crew to return to base, and if the grossling situation at Prøvesten was even a quarter as bad as at the airport, a couple ships might be easily be out of enough crew to render them unusable.

And then there's the possibility that a crew - say, of five - had been ordered to stay and wait for any survivors coming out of the chaos. Imagine a band of twenty showing up, and waiting until the ship's out at sea (well, out in the Øresund) to "tell" the crew that they do not intend to return to post-Rash Denmark ... nobody would take notice of yet another crew that suddenly vanished "at Kastrup".

If there weren't any, I'd think the thing to do would be to go up to Helsingør and try to get across on a raft or whatever else you could find that floats, as that looks like the closest approach that wouldn't take you near the bridge.

Yes, BUT. First off, pre-Rash Helsingborg and Helsingør, taken together, had half as many inhabitants as Malmö, more than Vejle (of Werehouse fame) and thrice as many as Kastrup proper - so you'd be truckin' through a serious assembly of trolls. Second, connecting the Baltic Sea to the Kattegat (which ultimately connects to the open sea), the Øresund has notable currents, and those tend to be worst where the sund gets particularly narrow ...