Creative Corner > Writing Board

Six-word stories

(1/48) > >>

Jitter:
I am sometimes fascinated by really really short writing, such as the six-word story (or, well, by the haiku). So here’s a place for that! Challenge yourself to write a six-word story that conveys a situation or a feeling and maks the reader to come up with the context.

A classic of the so called genre is: ”For sale: baby shoes, never worn” attributed to Hemingway although his authorship is unclear. But nevertheles it gives you an idea.

This thread is for our six-word stories as well as discussion and comments about them. Other microfiction includes the drabble (exactly 100 words) and it’s multiples double or triple drabble, the 50-word “dribble” or mini-saga, and the 280 characters or less long format originating from Twitter. Any interest? I know some of you have written SSSS drabbles at least!

As an aside, microfiction is a lot easier in Finnish! The above piece would fit into three words: “Myytävänä: vauvakengät, käyttämättömät”. So I was kind of hoping to find an existing format of a few more words than six, but apparently this is what has been named. Howver I suggest we allow a title of up to three words in addition to the six in the story proper. So, maybe give it a try?

Perhaps post your six-word story in bold and comments etc in normal text. Feel free to comment without coming up with a ”story” as well.

Jitter:
So I’ll go first

Ever since, I’ve avoided all mirrors

tehta:
Ooh, another writing challenge! Happy to participate. (One point, though: as with the haiku challenge, I might actually find this easier if there were some prompts. Just to prevent that whole 'blank page, so many choices' paralysis.)

Also, since you welcome discussion, I would like to throw in this EM Forster quote:

The king died and then the queen died is a story. The king died, and then queen died of grief is a plot.

I would like my six-word efforts to be more plot than story... But we will see.

JoB:

--- Quote from: Jitter on August 29, 2021, 06:00:01 AM ---Challenge yourself to write a six-word story that conveys a situation or a feeling and maks the reader to come up with the context.

--- End quote ---
What?? Only six words? How in ... !?

tehta:
Birth, life, death, zombie apocalypse, undeath.

Sigh. That's more of a story than a plot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version