Author Topic: (Re)reading The Silmarillion  (Read 7222 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
(Re)reading The Silmarillion
« on: August 23, 2021, 12:30:39 PM »
Here’s the forum’s first Tolkien topic!

It was discovered in a discussion that at least a few of us have been contemplating rereading the Silmarillion but haven’t gotten around to it. In many things, the more the merrier, so why don’t we read together?

RanVor suggested we start in the beginning of September. In addition to that, how should we go? I’m thinking in a sort of book club fashion where we agree dates by which participants will read up till a certain point? I would suggest to not make the schedule too tight to allow busy people to participate. Any thoughts on this?

Also I’d like to hear your thoughts on the book in general - why do you want to read it? Why do you want to reread it? Did you like it the first time around? Etc.

I was very much into the Lord of the Rings as a kid and teenager, when I read it many times. The Silmarillion I read once, and found it terribly tedious.  I’ve been low key planning to take another go probably for 25 years or so, because I suspect I may have been too young and rash to appreciate it at the time. For about two years now it’s been on my reading list, I know many Tolkien fans like it best and I’m curious too see if I can find that magic too. So, making a reading pact will hopefully be what it takes to get started!

Updating reading schedule below on this same page
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 10:56:45 AM by Jitter »
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

tehta

• Ranger
Re: (Re)reading The Silmarillion
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 02:42:38 PM »
I think this is partially my fault. I hope people aren't too bored.

What I found interesting about the Silmarillion is the parts that aren't there. The fan theories that would make the crazy world-building make sense, the stories glossed over, (most of) the personal detail. For me, it's a bit like reading historical sources and letting your imagination fly. Also I enjoy a good tragedy.

I would also agree that a leisurely schedule would be best. And yes, a book club thing, where on a certain date people are asked to post their reactions.

fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

RanVor

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: he/it/that thing
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 03:10:20 PM »
I think the first week of September is more than enough time to read Ainulindalë (the first part), as it isn't very long. In fact, each of the parts with the exception of Quenta Silmarillion should be easily doable in a week even for busy people, and as for the main part itself, well, we can decide how to divide it up when we get to it. Of course, we can adjust those periods as we get a better idea of everyone's reading speed. Keep in mind that as a fast reader, I may be a bit biased, so if you disagree with my assessment, don't hesitate to intervene.

The Silmarillion is a tough read for sure. In its nature, it's more a collection of fictional myths and legends than a cohesive narrative. The overabundance of difficult names and complicated relations to remember doesn't make it any easier. However, the way it expands the world of LotR, imbuing it with rich history and putting the stories of Bilbo and Frodo in a different, more mystical context makes it worth reading in my opinion.

I sound like I was trying to write some literary treatise here, and I have no idea why.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 03:20:57 PM »
Ran, I like your analysis! I hope I’ll be able to appreciate that sort of thing better than when I was 15 :)

And I agree that one-week reading periods would be good. Fast readers can of course go faster, the schedule is just to facilitate discussion. On the other hand if the pause for reading is too long, probably the interested ones will just go on reading and the not-so-interested ones drop it again. I for one am looking for community support to manage this :)

So, discussion about the Ainulindalë starting Monday 6th of September? Everyone happy with that?

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 03:23:22 PM »
I would want to join a silmarillion rereading event. But I have no useful Idea how to organzie this.

RanVor

• Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 03:41:24 PM »
I would want to join a silmarillion rereading event. But I have no useful Idea how to organzie this.

Don't worry, just reading and participating in the discussion is enough!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 03:45:43 PM »
I don’t think we need much organisation, just the dates so that it’s easier to discuss when everyone is on the same page (pun intended).

I suppose we could also agree for someone to “lead” the discussion i.e. open for each week, but I suggest we do that only if it seems that spontaneous discussion doesn’t happen.

And it’s not a closed club, anyone can join at the start or later!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2021, 03:46:28 PM »
Ran is absolutely right!

Annuil

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2021, 08:17:17 AM »
*SCREAAAAAAAAM in the manner of a Noldor who saw a Silmarill*
I can talk about this book for ages! I’m so glad you guys started this, I want to read the Silmarillion in English, I’ve only read it in Russian, twice. And I flipped through it a few times so I learned to navigate it. It’s a beautiful book. It had such a great resonance with my heart…. In any case, I’d love to join in!  ;D
Native:🇷🇺
Fluent:🇺🇸(🇬🇧)
Can say some phrases:🇫🇷🇩🇰
Learning:🇫🇮🇸🇪🇪🇸
Want to learn: 🇮🇸🇩🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

RanVor

• Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2021, 07:47:57 AM »
Uhh, I don't think reading in English should be a prerequisite, should it?

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2021, 09:17:11 AM »
No, I think any language version is good! May open some avenues for discussion, with potential differences in translation.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2021, 10:51:33 AM »
So, it's September (here in Europe at least) and our quest deep into the history of Arda shall begin!

As discussed, we'll do it in week-long chunks. This is the discussion schedule - you can of course read faster (or slower) but discussion of each section and the work up to that section shall begin on Monday of each week.

Schedule: Read by / discussion starts

Ainulindalë - 6 September
Valaquenta - 13 September

Quenta Silmarillion:
Chapters 1&2 - 20 September
Chapters 3&4 - 27 September
Chapters 5&6 - 4 October
Chapters 7&8 - 11 October
Chapter 9.     - 18 October
Chapters 10, 11, 12 - 25 October
Chapters 13&14 - 1 November
Chapters 15&16 - 8 November
Chapters 17&18 - 15 November
Chapter 19 - 22 November
Chapter 20 - 29 November
Break for holidays preparations
Chapter 21 - 27 December
Chapters 22&23 - 3 January
Chapter 24 - 10 January

Akallabeth - 17 January

Rings of power and the Third Age - 24 January 2022

and so on. We can adjust the length of the reading chunk as we go along, this seems like a very relaxed pace but let's at least start slow.

Any language version is ok. Just remember that others may have a different version, so some names and places may have different names, but I'm sure we can clear any confusion.

This is intended as a bit of book club thingy, so you don't need to only praise the work, all sort of discussion is welcome. You don't even need to like it at all! Although it's probably more fun, if you have some interest at least :)

Anyone can join now or later! You can even participate in the discussion without reading the book at this time, but please don't spoil the future events in the parts that are still upcoming in the reading schedule! Calling @RanVor @tehta @moredhel @Annuil @thegreyarea and others!

If I've forgotten something, please add!

« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 05:15:39 PM by Jitter »

Annuil

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2021, 05:17:55 PM »
Yaaaaay! I’ll be silent as a dead balrog! :'D
A little note: if you’re reading the Silmarillion for the first time be prepared to not understand what in the world is going on. One good person told me, “you need to read it 20 times in order to comprehend it.” There’ll be a ton of names and events, so it’s like a history textbook but about the Middle Earth.
Enjoy! And hopefully this will be a great discussion!  ;D :headbang:
Native:🇷🇺
Fluent:🇺🇸(🇬🇧)
Can say some phrases:🇫🇷🇩🇰
Learning:🇫🇮🇸🇪🇪🇸
Want to learn: 🇮🇸🇩🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2021, 01:39:37 AM »
Yeah, if you know it by heart, it may still be good to follow the reading timetable to make sure you know what you can discuss and what is in the future for the other readers :)

We are fortunate to have an enthusiast (or several?), I’m sure this will make an interesting discussion!

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2021, 01:32:17 PM »
A little note: if you’re reading the Silmarillion for the first time be prepared to not understand what in the world is going on.
But it is still a book you can enjoy without understandig it. And as far as I can say even when rereading it multiple times, I always discover some nice details I did not notice or understand in the previous readings.