Author Topic: Comic of the Month  (Read 31798 times)

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
Re: Comic of the Month
« Reply #405 on: August 16, 2023, 10:09:22 PM »
I'm just now getting to the graveyard scene and, suffice to say, uh-oh.

Edit: Having now finished chapter 6, suffice to say, uh-oh.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 10:43:14 PM by Linebyline »
"Dialogue is not all we need. Just pure communication is not an end in itself. But it's a start, and if we refuse to start, how can we expect to finish?"
- Simcha Fisher

Mastodon: @Linebyline@bytetower.social

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #406 on: August 18, 2023, 08:54:31 AM »
It’s indeed very uh-oh. It’s been a while since I read this for the first time, and I’ve forgotten much of the details, especially the fun details. But the overall uh-oh
Spoiler: show
caused by Cross behaving oh so ”protectively” towards Ada
was ingrained in my mind!

In the other hand I did remember Chazei is fun, but not what an absolute lovable idiot she is! Both of them are! ”I do what I like”, as you should girl.

(End chapter 5 at this poimt of my reread)
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #407 on: August 18, 2023, 09:32:13 AM »
Oh shoot p 6-27,
Cross you bstard.

Seriously the artist is SO good at subtly building certainty of just how ducked up this is. I knew it and still it wrenches my heart.

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #408 on: August 24, 2023, 07:24:03 AM »
I finished War in the Shade a few days ago and wow, yeah - it was really good and definitely kept me hooked. The different perspectives and motivations are very compelling
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #409 on: August 30, 2023, 09:26:15 PM »
"WheeZe!"
Very good expressions in this comic.

"No time for sad boy feelings"
Some great lines, too.

Aaaaaaaah!??
(Links to pages in chapters 7, 8, and 9, respectively, for the spoiler-averse)

Edit: And done! That was a good read. Thanks again for the great recommendation, Jitter!

By the way, am I the only one who thought
Spoiler: "Ch 6 I think?" • show
Ada killed Cross when she pulled the knife on him and she and Khimaera ran away?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 09:37:19 PM by Linebyline »
"Dialogue is not all we need. Just pure communication is not an end in itself. But it's a start, and if we refuse to start, how can we expect to finish?"
- Simcha Fisher

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #410 on: August 31, 2023, 05:52:04 PM »
It’s now September here in Finland, and @dmeck7755 you are on!

How can it be September already? Why? What happen?

dmeck7755

« Reply #411 on: September 01, 2023, 09:01:07 AM »
OK.  Wow time flew...
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

dmeck7755

« Reply #412 on: September 01, 2023, 11:08:17 AM »
Apparently YIH is not dead yet.  The creator left a message 10 days ago

"The plan currently is to get about a 100 pages done before I start uploading and I've done 40 pages worth of buffer to this date. ^^ Can't predict a schedule for it, but that's the plan I'm sticking to"

-Frank Zappa

dmeck7755

« Reply #413 on: September 01, 2023, 02:11:24 PM »
Comic of the month.  I picked this, as I did not see it mentioned previously.  I think some people do follow it.  I hope you all like it..I do!!

The comic I'm presenting this month is called How to be a Werewolf.  This comic has been going since 2015.

It is written by Shawn Lenore.  It is a hiveworks comic.

The link to the first page is https://www.howtobeawerewolf.com/comic/coming-february-3rd

About page:
https://www.howtobeawerewolf.com/about

I am going to cheat and take the some of the FAQ's right from the webpage:
Quick FAQ:
Since being bitten by a strange wolf as a child, Malaya Walters has attempted to live a quiet life…hopefully a life free of attempting to eat her family or the customers at her family’s coffee shop. Being the only werewolf she’s ever known, Malaya has managed her condition by keeping tight control on herself and the world around her, with lackluster results. That is, until a strange guy wanders into her shop one day and introduces her to a whole world she never knew existed…
What age range is this comic appropriate for?: Well, there’s cursing in it? Sex-related stuff is very tame, and for a werewolf story, the violence is pretty light. There are some themes of emotional abuse that are pretty strong and might upset some people.
Is Malaya ever going to hook up with [insert character here]?: Nope! My game plan is to keep Mal unattached. You’re welcome to imagine her with whoever, but the story I’ve always wanted to read was one featuring a female protagonist who just exists. She’s figuring out her life and her problems and her fears while growing into a stronger, better person. That’ll remain my focus :).

Things I like:
This is a story about finding yourself, about the value of friendship.  The characters are engaging, and the art is nice.  Plus it updates 2x a week.

NOTE: It is on hiatus until end of October-ish

Things I don't like:
Like most webcomics, the story can take a while

Art:
It is pleasant to me.  They do people really well.

Sex/Relationships/Nudity:
Familial type of relationships, no sex, no nudity  Rarely mentioned.  There are same-sex relationships

Initially, the about pages stated the relationships of the characters would be a sloooow boil.  The most recent chapter features a same-sex kiss.  Many readers were *waiting* for this.  It is definitely cute and fluffy.. Mind you this is the end of chapter 12 and 7 years into the comic!!

Violence:
Yes, not hard core, but there is blood.   Tinge of horror maybe..

There is one really creepy scene where the earth swallows some one up.

Consistency:
Mostly consistent updates Tuesdays and Wednesdays. There are updates if something happens, you will know.  Chapter 12 just finished, and they are on hiatus until October.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 02:34:49 PM by dmeck7755 »

-Frank Zappa

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #414 on: September 01, 2023, 11:12:22 PM »
Oh yeah, I read this one. The characters are all pretty endearing (except for the ones that deliberately aren't).

One thing you <em>won't</em> find in How to Be a Werewolf, in my opinion, are villains you love to hate. There's not a Mr. Luxuria, a "Halea," a Tadio, or even a Goops. Maybe they're just too real for that. They don't chew the scenery. They are just awful people; fantasy versions of people many of you have probably had the displeasure of knowing. Every scene they're in is just uncomfortable. Even that floaty guy, as over the top as he can be, still isn't a fun villain. I don't want to root for him to get his comeuppance; I just want him to go away and stop hurting my precious main characters! Gwendolyn from Daughter of the Lilies is much the same kind of villain as HTBaW's two main baddies, but Syverud gives her a stage presence that Lenore seems to deliberately avoid giving to her abusive dirtbags.

That's not a critique, to be clear. HTBaW is doing something different with its villains. I dig it, but I don't read those scenes for fun.

Speaking of DotL, it's currently back on hiatus, with very tentative plans to resume in the next few days. Phantomarine just took an month off. Vainglorious and Suihira also remain on hiatus, as does Rising Sand. Edit: Vainglorious is tentatively looking at returning in November.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 06:26:37 PM by Linebyline »
- Simcha Fisher

Keep Looking

• Bragi
« Reply #415 on: September 02, 2023, 05:41:43 AM »
I've actually read HTBaW as well, although it's been a year or two since I last caught up on it! It's a great webcomic and this is giving me an excuse to re-read and catch up, so thank you for the recommendation!

Ruler of Changi Airport

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #416 on: September 02, 2023, 06:38:31 AM »
It is good. I don’t follow it myself but Star does and he has occasionally shown me scenes from it. Don’t have much time for reading a lot these days, madly busy, but Star being mostly bed-bound at present has far too much time for reading. It keeps him from going spla with boredom.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Keep Looking

• Bragi
« Reply #417 on: September 02, 2023, 08:47:16 AM »
It is good. I don’t follow it myself but Star does and he has occasionally shown me scenes from it. Don’t have much time for reading a lot these days, madly busy, but Star being mostly bed-bound at present has far too much time for reading. It keeps him from going spla with boredom.

Sounds about right. My Nana has advanced Parkinson's disease (onset started in her 40s and she's in her mid 70s now) so her motor function is very limited and over the last few years she's also lost vision. We're very thankful for the invention of audiobooks! She listens to a lot of audiobooks that keep her from going mad with boredom, and also late-night BBC world service on the radio when she can't sleep. It does mean that she often has interesting things to discuss with me from what she's listened to (I see her very often as her and my grandad live on the same property as my parents and I so we're able to help out and step in if things go south, which they certainly have at times).

(also, this is my 1000th post! i've been watching the post count tick up and was considering making a special post for it but honestly i'm fine with an ordinary reply)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #418 on: September 04, 2023, 01:14:32 PM »
Congrats on the 1,000th post, Keep Looking!

And yeah, it can be very rough having a functional mind in a not-very-functional body. We cope, and it helps that we would spend hours at a time talking about anything and everything even before he became damaged enough to be stuck in bed. Ironically, Star is a lot younger than I am, and I always hoped he would long outlive me, what with me being not only older but the one with the more hazardous lifestyle, but life is as it is, and all you can really do is live with it. Fortunately, he is well worth the trouble.

I hope your Gran continues to have as good a life as is possible for her. Parkinson’s disease is nasty.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

dmeck7755

« Reply #419 on: September 21, 2023, 10:48:06 AM »
Its kinda a bummer that it is on hiatus, so not much chatter..

-Frank Zappa