About the Site > Troubleshooting Archive

Forum Restructuring Plans

(1/9) > >>

viola:
Hello Everyone!

We, the forum team would like to make a few big announcements.

The first big announcement is that we are going to do some restructuring of the site's layout. This will involve moving some threads around, moving some boards around, and also creating some new sections to help the community move forwards together. We have some ideas for the restructuring, but this is a community and we want your input on these ideas. We want to know what you think of the proposed structures, what your favourites are and why. We want to know if we left anything out or if there are some areas that should be better titled. We'd love to hear what your thoughts are! We can't promise we will incorporate everything though, as some things will be limited by the site and the abilities of the team, but we will try to listen. The topic will be open for about a month for everyone to discuss.

The examples of different structures we've come up with are as follows:

Spoiler: SSSSeparate from fandoms • show
(Grouping - Main Board - Sub-board - special permissions )

Worlds and Stories
- Writing
- Art/audiovisual media
-18+
- Fun Stuff (Fandoms in general)
- Webcomics discussions
- Books discussions
- Movies / Series discussions
- etc.

About Anything
General Discussion Board:
- Politics / personal
Languages

Minna's Comics:
- ssss
- PerSSSSonas
- artd (potential to demote to childboard)
- COH (potential to integrate into larger SSSS stuff)
- 'Minna's New Stuff' (If we want it)

Website stuff:
- website help/rules
- archive

Spoiler: Within Fandoms but with grouping • show
(Grouping - Main Board - Sub-board - special permissions)

Worlds and Stories
- Writing
- Art/audiovisual media
- 18+
- Fun Stuff (Fandoms in general)
- Webcomics discussions
- Books discussions
- Movies / Series discussions
- etc.
- ssss
- PerSSSSonas
- artd (potential to demote to childboard)
- COH (potential to integrate into larger SSSS stuff)
- 'Minna's New Stuff' (If we want it)

About Anything
General Discussion Board:
- Politics / personal
Languages

Website stuff:
- website help/rules
- archive

Spoiler: one last example • show
(Grouping - Main Board - Sub-board - special permissions)

Worlds and Stories

Discussion Board A place to talk and exchange ideas about fictional Worlds and Stories
  Child board: Recomendations (suggestions on books, comics, games, series, movies, etc...)
SSSS and ARTD Board A place to talk about Stand Still Stay Silent and A Redtail's Dream (CoH topics would go here)
  Child boards: A Redtail's Dream, PerSSSSonas
Mature Content Board The board for all your 19th century art and literature ;)

Creative Area

Art/Audiovisual Media A place to enjoy, post and talk about any kind of artwork, original or based on existing stories
  Child board: Original Art
Writing A place to enjoy, post and talk about any kind of writing, original or based on existing stories
  Child board: Original Writing
Role-play
Academy (Tutorial, Tips, etc...)

About Anything

General Discussion Board
  Child boards: Politics, Personal
Languages
History and Mythology

Website stuff:

Website help/rules
  Child Board: Anonymous Suggestions and Critique
Archive
  Child Board: Events

The next big announcement is that we will be looking for some temporary skalds in July probably to help us move some of the threads around. There will be more posts about that in the recruiting skald thread. They wouldn't be permanent team members, just skalds to help with the restructuring and then would go back to being regular members, but would retain a special title on their profile in thanks for their help. There will be training sessions on how to move and split/merge threads closer to the restructuring.

The third announcement is that this fall I will be retiring. I've been the admin here for a long time, and I'm not as active in the community as I used to be. It might seem like this has something to do with what's been going on with Minna and the Lovely Bunnies comic, but it's actually something I was considering and planning for this summer before all of that happened. I've been finding myself overwhelmed with grad school and working on my thesis, and I want this community to have an admin that is involved in the community and has the time and energy to help lead all of you into the future of this site. I've learned so much and grown these past nearly 6 years that I've been admin, and I really appreciate the opportunity that I've had. I don't plan on leaving entirely, I'll probably still be around in some of the other threads, of course.

This leads me to the last part of this post: We are proud to announce @Keep Looking 's promotion to admin in training. Starting with the facilitation of the discussion in this thread, they will be taking over more and more of my responsibilities until I retire in the fall. This is to give them some time to get used to the site and to facilitate the change over.

I will ask that responses to this thread be explicitly related to the restructuring proposals. Interest in being a temporary skald can be posted in the skald recruiting thread once we are finished deciding on the new structure and the recruitment is announced. Posts regarding Keep Looking's promotion and my retirement can go in the promotions thread.

Tarnagh:
A couple of questions: Do we know if Minna will retain a link to these forums from the SSSS page once she's finished with that story? Or that she will provide a link to these forums on any of her new works?

The answers to those questions may be a deciding factor on the first two structures that include 1) "Minna's Comics" as a whole, and; 2) "Minna's New Stuff." In the event that it happens that no new traffic is being directed here, it might be easier to (sadly) lump these into the "Webcomics discussions" sub-boards.

I like the "one last example" layout best, I think.

Keep Looking:

--- Quote from: Tarnagh on May 28, 2021, 10:06:21 PM ---A couple of questions: Do we know if Minna will retain a link to these forums from the SSSS page once she's finished with that story? Or that she will provide a link to these forums on any of her new works?

The answers to those questions may be a deciding factor on the first two structures that include 1) "Minna's Comics" as a whole, and; 2) "Minna's New Stuff." In the event that it happens that no new traffic is being directed here, it might be easier to (sadly) lump these into the "Webcomics discussions" sub-boards.

--- End quote ---

Although we haven't had any explicit word from Minna about this subject as far as I know, I think we've been running on the assumption that Minna will not link this forum to her new works - this is, after all, the 'Stand Still Stay Silent' fan forum and not the 'All-Inclusive Works of Minna' fan forum. We won't be asking her to link the forum to her new works, and Minna does seem aware that many SSSS fans are unlikely to be the target demographic of the new direction which her work is taking. I do think it is fairly likely that the link will remain on the SSSS page, though, so that might provide some amount of new users.

JoB:
As someone who jumps right into the Unread Page and checks (sub)topics off from there, each on its own merit, I can't say that I have much of an opinion on what tree of topics should be constructed atop those. Well, decision by dice throw (and "flat hierarchy by steamroller") possibly excepted. ;)

However, it could become relevant to me again once visibility comes into play. As of now, we make very sparing use of the feature of setting boards to nonpublic - only Personal, 18+, and Politics IIRC. As the total range of topics becomes broader by losing the focus on SSSS / Minna, members' interest in deselecting subtopics (say, a specific storyverse) from their forum view would likely increase. Are there any such plans on the horizon?

thegreyarea:

--- Quote from: Keep Looking on May 29, 2021, 04:15:52 AM ---Although we haven't had any explicit word from Minna about this subject as far as I know, I think we've been running on the assumption that Minna will not link this forum to her new works - this is, after all, the 'Stand Still Stay Silent' fan forum and not the 'All-Inclusive Works of Minna' fan forum. We won't be asking her to link the forum to her new works, and Minna does seem aware that many SSSS fans are unlikely to be the target demographic of the new direction which her work is taking. I do think it is fairly likely that the link will remain on the SSSS page, though, so that might provide some amount of new users.

--- End quote ---
I think you're right, Keep

Now, it's a detail, but considering the last example, that I prefer, maybe we should put the SSSS board first inside the Worlds and Stories section. This is, after all and until the day we decide to change, the SSSS forum.

JoB, do you mean users having to apply to access a board about a certain "universe", even if it's rating is normal (opt-in) or the ability to choose to hide that item from their tree (opt-out)?
I don't know if the later is easy to implement, but it may become more interesting if the Forum grows substantially. I'd let things as they are and see what happens. I'm sure we will have to make more adjustments as this place shifts from "Minnacentric" to a more general approach.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version