Author Topic: Recipe swap (and other food related stuff)  (Read 74276 times)

Opaque

• Scout
Re: Recipe swap (and other food related stuff)
« Reply #345 on: April 10, 2021, 06:33:09 PM »
I think I've had chocolate crackles before. Really good stuff. While baking is more my thing I'll still go for no-bake sweets cause they're so easy and so yummy. Unfortunately now a days I have to limit my sugar intake or I'll get a stomach ache. Having a sweet tooth but not having the stomach for it anymore is definitely one of the bad things of not being a kid anymore.

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #346 on: July 31, 2021, 02:19:48 PM »
The recipe says "take a cake and put blueberries on top", followed by nonsensical instructions that would best fit the package of an instant soup ("let it simmer for five minutes", etc).

I remember that during my first week in Norway - at the time I was an exchange student there - I attended a presentation on the local culture and customs. It was tailored to be entertaining to us foreigners and meant to be both true and facetious at the same time. It was combining suggestions on how to spend our free time, like "we're all about winter sports and chess, you should join!", and silly random facts, like "we invented the cheese slicer" (or the paperclip, I'm not sure at the moment). At a certain point we were told that [a certain brand of] frozen pizza was Norway's most typical dish, and that Norwegians usually try to prepare food as fast as possible, and eat equally fast, in order to save time to go and enjoy life(!).

There I sat, squeezed between a French student to my left and a Spanish student to my right, all coming from places where the concepts of "enjoying life" and "eating food" are basically one and the same... looking at each other very confused and wondering whether we had heard that right. (:

Hehe, excellent recipe, and fun story behind it! :D If anyone would like an actual recipe for a blueberry cake, I came across this one last week which is wonderful—I had bought a 5lb box of blueberries the day before since they were on sale and in good shape, and it was an excellent way to use them!

Blueberry Lemon Cake
originally from here, with my modifications.
(dear europeans and the rest of the world, please excuse my non-metric measurements...)
  • Preheat oven to 375˚F, and butter + flour a 9in springform pan (I've used a 7.5in pan in the past which works fine fine but it will need about an extra 20-25min to bake through)
  • Beat until thick and light in colour:
    • 1 cup sugar
    • 2 eggs
  • Add:
    • 1/2 cup oil (vegetable or canola though olive might be an interesting flavour addition too)
    • 1 cup greek yoghurt (can use sour cream as per in the original recipe, but I've only done it with greek yoghurt)
    • vanilla extract (1tsp), almond extract (1/2 tsp), or as your heart desires
    • a good pinch of salt
  • In another bowl, whisk together:
    • 2 cups flour
    • 2 tsp baking powder
  • In a third bowl, toss:
    • 1 lb (16oz) fresh blueberries, washed and dried, with
    • 1 tsp lemon juice
    • 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
  • Stir into the batter:
    • a goodly amount of freshly grated lemon zest, maybe half a tbsp,
    • 1 tbsp lemon juice, then,
  • Add flour to the batter in three parts, mixing just until smoothly blended between additions.
  • Pour half the batter into your prepared pan, then add the blueberries and pour the other half of the batter overtop.
  • Bake for 55min (or longer in a smaller pan, as noted above!), until a toothpick in the middle comes out clean, or at least, clean of batter—it will definitely be stained purple. :D
Spoiler: photo, hidden for length, and stretched for some reason? nevertheless • show

tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #347 on: August 01, 2021, 11:58:43 AM »
Nice recipe, Athena! When making similar cakes in the past I have substituted grapeseed oil for other oils or butter - I still think butter gives the best flavour, but grapeseed oil has the least obtrusive odour and flavour of the vegetable oils, which is why I also use it alone or mixed with almond oil as a base for massage oils and cerate ointments. And it is good to use if you need to adapt cake recipes to non-dairy diets.

The other ingredient that matches well with blueberries is hazelnuts, either as slivered toasted nuts in the filling or as hazelnut meal substituted for part of the flour in the batter.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Athena

« Reply #348 on: August 02, 2021, 04:33:37 AM »
Nice recipe, Athena! When making similar cakes in the past I have substituted grapeseed oil for other oils or butter - I still think butter gives the best flavour, but grapeseed oil has the least obtrusive odour and flavour of the vegetable oils, which is why I also use it alone or mixed with almond oil as a base for massage oils and cerate ointments. And it is good to use if you need to adapt cake recipes to non-dairy diets.

The other ingredient that matches well with blueberries is hazelnuts, either as slivered toasted nuts in the filling or as hazelnut meal substituted for part of the flour in the batter.

Interesting! I don't believe grapeseed oil is very common here; I'm used to canola being the most neutral and flavourless oil available, probably because canola is a major crop in Alberta iirc.

Hazlenuts are a wonderful idea. I have a small amount stored away from my great aunt's tree that she gave me last summer; now you've got me thinking I could surprise her with one of these cakes with those mixed in...:)

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

Róisín

« Reply #349 on: August 03, 2021, 08:01:47 AM »
Glad I could help. I do a lot of cooking for young relatives who either have restricted diets for medical reasons or who are vegetarian, and I have had a lot of practice at making healthy food that still tastes good.

Yastreb

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • May her brightness be among the stars.
« Reply #350 on: February 19, 2022, 04:15:43 PM »
I found an interesting channel on recipes from across history...

https://www.youtube.com/c/TastingHistory/featured
"Life is all we are. Life is what defines us. In the end, Life is the answer."

Ruler of Bartolomeu de Gusmão Airport.

Róisín

« Reply #351 on: February 20, 2022, 02:48:26 AM »
Yastreb, I have been watching this for years - even got Star interested. Glad you enjoy it too. We should watch some together next time you visit. He did a similar series on beverages called, I think, ‘Drinking History’? I have done a lot of cooking for Mediæval Fairs, SCA feasts and the like, as well as helping Rhí with her spicery, so have a lot of experience with that style of cookery. The ‘Forme of Cury’ is fascinating. Have you read ‘Take a Thousand Egges or More’?.

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #352 on: February 20, 2022, 12:38:12 PM »
Here is a YT channel I've been watching. Townsends is a reenactor supply company where I buy most of my clothes and about half of my gear. A few years ago one of the founder's sons began making videos, starting with cooking and branching out to many 18th century colonial activities.
   https://www.youtube.com/user/jastownsendandson
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #353 on: February 21, 2022, 09:47:35 AM »
Hi folks! I was wondering if any people here might have any good recipe suggestions for me? I'm getting a bit sick of sitting down the night before it's my day to cook dinner and realising I have absolutely no idea what to make, hah. Honestly, just any recipes you enjoy cooking and would want to share with someone else (although ideally they'd be ones with some red meat in them because my dinner night is also a Meat Night in my household). If I try out your recipe, I'll let you know how it went!
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Róisín

« Reply #354 on: February 21, 2022, 11:07:17 AM »
Ever tried kangaroo stir fry? Really easy. It is an extremely low-fat red meat (consider the diet and lifestyle of a roo and you will see why). Basically you finely chop an assortment of vegetables suitable for stir-frying such as carrots, celery, broccoli (use the finely sliced stems as well as the head), bamboo shoots, baby corn, water chestnuts, shredded cabbage, onion, spring onion, bean sprouts and whatever other vegetables you enjoy. Sauté the vegetables quickly until just tender in hot oil, push them to the side of the wok or pan and cook the diced or finely sliced kangaroo meat until just browned but only lightly cooked. Season with a dash of sesame oil, soy sauce, finely sliced fresh ginger and/or turmeric root and Five Spice powder with salt, or whatever other spices or herbs you fancy, and when it is browned mix the vegetables back into the meat, toss together for a few minutes over a high heat. Serve with boiled or steamed rice or noodles. Quick and simple.

As with any stir fry recipe, this works much better if you cut up all your ingredients before you start and cook them as quickly as you can. Makes everything tender and crisp. If you don’t have access to kangaroo meat you can use finely sliced beef, venison or goat meat - I have made the dish with all of these. The elderly Chinese gentleman who showed me how to make this meal used to keep a roll of frozen lean beef in his freezer, take it out an hour or so before he cooked, and use paperthin slices from the roll that only needed a minute or so in a hot pan to cook, hence the usage of cooking the vegetables first. Let me know how this works for you!

dmeck7755

"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

Athena

« Reply #356 on: February 03, 2023, 10:32:05 AM »
Just wanted to share a photo of some blueberry muffins I made the other day. I got the recipe (which I have since modified) from a bakery/cafe I worked at over the summer. I like to include cardamom and almond extract which I find compliments the blueberries excellently. As a habit from working at the bakery and consequence of the recipe I tend to bake in large batches these days (about 60 per batch), and my housemates always enjoy having lots in the freezer ;D I can type up the recipe later if anyone likes, though I'm not going to creep over to the kitchen for my notebook now, because my friend is sleeping in the living room and it's still rather early ;)

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #357 on: February 03, 2023, 09:35:37 PM »
Oh, wow, those look delicious!
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #358 on: March 19, 2023, 12:00:40 PM »
St. Patrick's Day was celebrated American style this weekend. I made a loaf of Irish soda bread and corned beef and cabbage in my Dutch oven. 

:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #359 on: March 19, 2023, 12:35:06 PM »
midwestmutt, what an American-style feast!

Also, a belated thank-you for calling my attention to the Townsends' YouTube channel. I'm learning a lot from them.

Even more belated: Athena, if you're still willing to type up your recipe for those delicious-looking blueberry muffins, I'd be most grateful!