Author Topic: Recipe swap (and other food related stuff)  (Read 72153 times)

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: Recipe swap (and other food related stuff)
« Reply #240 on: October 11, 2017, 10:56:29 PM »
Ana, those sound like what we called Jam Kisses when I was a kid. They were for fancy events and important visitors, the oatmeal ones were just for the family, but I thought they tasted better.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Shine

• Ranger
  • I'm probably a person.
« Reply #241 on: October 12, 2017, 04:16:12 PM »
You guys are literally the best.
When I remember and have time (the two rarely overlap) I shall think of you and thank you for the cookie-y deliciousness.

Sorry, I'm sleep-deprived and a little dramatic.
Native :italy:
Fluent :uk: :germany:
Want to learn :norway: :finland:

Survived:        :chap5::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18:

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #242 on: October 12, 2017, 10:41:15 PM »
Ana, those sound like what we called Jam Kisses when I was a kid. They were for fancy events and important visitors, the oatmeal ones were just for the family, but I thought they tasted better.

Huh! I never had a name for them, just "Grandma's cookies". I'll have to try these oatmeal ones sometime!

You guys are literally the best.
When I remember and have time (the two rarely overlap) I shall think of you and thank you for the cookie-y deliciousness.

Sorry, I'm sleep-deprived and a little dramatic.

You can thank us by posting pictures of the cookies whenever you get around to baking them  ;) And I shall lament the lack of smell-o-vision!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
« Reply #243 on: October 22, 2017, 02:55:47 PM »
I tried making Mélusine's Zimtsterne yesterday, and they're really good! Thanks for the recipe! :D

someone needs to come and stop me before I eat them all
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 07:08:15 PM by Luth Nightbreeze »
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Athena

« Reply #244 on: November 08, 2017, 11:53:52 PM »
I've had some sage growing for quite a while now, but I feel bad because it's been going to little use. Does anyone have recipes for sage? Thanks! :)

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #245 on: November 09, 2017, 01:04:01 AM »
I've had some sage growing for quite a while now, but I feel bad because it's been going to little use. Does anyone have recipes for sage? Thanks! :)
I like mushrooms cooked with sage and thyme and butter and a little salt, that's always tasty. Doesn't use that much, but it's a nice side dish that goes with lots of different stuff (and you could probably put, like, sausage or something in it to make it a whole meal)
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Róisín

« Reply #246 on: November 09, 2017, 02:39:57 AM »
Sage goes nicely with mushrooms indeed, and also in omelettes. Nice sprinkled on baked vegetables, with roast meats and in stuffing for poultry, especially fatty poultry like duck or goose. There are a lot of recipes for Sage and Onion stuffing, basically finely chopped onion or leek, breadcrumbs, sage, maybe other herbs such as tarragon, thyme or oregano, and a bit of egg, milk or apple juice to bind it to a stuffing consistency. Good with pork, veal or poultry, and has long been popular for Christmas goose or turkey.

Sage leaves can be burned as incense, infused as a tea (good for colds and fevers, also as a gargle for sore throat or mouthwash for sensitive gums and bad breath). A decoction of sage makes a good antiseptic wash, also helps to cover up grey hair in dark-haired people, and as a hair conditioner, again for dark-hair. It's a good plant to grow for bees, they love the nectar in the flowers, and drinking sage tea is purported to keep the mind alert and the cerebral circulation in good shape, hence its reputation as a useful herb tea for old folk to drink.

Sage is the symbolic herb of wisdom, and back in the days before toothpaste and toothbrushes it was the herb for cleaning your teeth, either on its own or mixed with salt.

Athena

« Reply #247 on: November 09, 2017, 01:37:46 PM »
Róisín, Thanks for all the information! I never guessed it was so versatile! I tried making a tea of it this morning, because I have had a sore throat lately, and I really like the taste as well.

I like mushrooms cooked with sage and thyme and butter and a little salt, that's always tasty. Doesn't use that much, but it's a nice side dish that goes with lots of different stuff (and you could probably put, like, sausage or something in it to make it a whole meal)

That's a good idea, thanks! I asked my mom to pick up some mushrooms while she's out, I think I'll try making that tonight. I'll let you know how it goes! :)

Athena

« Reply #248 on: November 14, 2017, 12:29:02 PM »
If you want to experience what Lalli felt when he tasted Mikkel’s cookies, try this very easy recipe:

Vaniljekranse (Danish Butter Biscuit)

Just made these the other day, and they are really good! Note to self if I ever try it again: use a proper piping bag, a sandwich bag with the corner cut off is not good enough.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 12:32:56 PM by Luth Nightbreeze »

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #249 on: November 15, 2017, 02:31:39 PM »
I tried making Mélusine's Zimtsterne yesterday, and they're really good! Thanks for the recipe! :D

someone needs to come and stop me before I eat them all
Oh, I hadn’t checked this thread recently ! I am glad that you like them :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Prizrachniy_Gek

• Veta
« Reply #250 on: November 23, 2017, 12:53:51 PM »
I rarely cook something special lately, mainly because I do not have an oven, but I'll listen very carefully. Oh, and I can give you a recipe for cold vegetable soup. But it is eaten, mostly in the summer, so...
Fluent: :russia:
Learning: :germany: :sweden: :uk:
Understand, but  say is not very good: :ukraine: :germany:

Róisín

« Reply #251 on: November 23, 2017, 04:24:37 PM »
It's always summer somewhere!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #252 on: November 24, 2017, 04:52:22 AM »
I rarely cook something special lately, mainly because I do not have an oven, but I'll listen very carefully. Oh, and I can give you a recipe for cold vegetable soup. But it is eaten, mostly in the summer, so...

I made a batch of cold borscht from my spring crop of beetroot and cabbage (and our own chicken broth).  It was a variant I hadn't tried before, and my husband enjoyed it mightily (not really my thing).
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

beergood

« Reply #253 on: December 03, 2017, 02:55:30 PM »
One of the most Scandinavian things you can eat, and indispensible at Christmas, is of course pickled herring. And since one of the great things about it is that you can use basically any flavouring for it, I decided to try to make a few batches of my own this year.

First attempt: Ginger herring and Guinness herring, both of which turned out fine! Both are basically variations on a basic recipe:
1. Soak herring filets in brine (water with dissolved salt) in fridge for 24 hours. (If you live in Sweden, you can buy pre-brined herring. Admit it, you're jealous.)
2. Make a basic 1-2-3 pickle: 1 part 24% white vinegar (NOT white wine vinegar, but the distilled stuff), 2 parts sugar, 3 parts water. Boil this with some peppercorns, mustard seeds and bay leaves in it. Let cool. (If you can't get 24% white vinegar, use correspondingly more weaker vinegar and less water.)
3. Chop onions (preferably a few different kinds). You'll want roughly as much onion as you have herring.
4. Take herrings out of brine, wash them in cold water and chop them up into bite-size bits.
5. Mix herrings and onions in glass jar. Pour pickle over. Put lid on and put in fridge for at least 24 hours.
6. Eat with potatoes, sour cream and bread, plus beer and aquavit.

For Guinness herring, just use Guinness instead of water in the pickle. On tasting, I'm thinking an imperial stout would be even better. Gives you a nice, round, malty taste.
For ginger herring, add fresh chopped ginger and chili to the onions. I used one small ginger root and one small chili pepper for about 200 grams of herring, and got just enough of a hint of heat.

Any other ideas? I'm thinking I'd like to try somethinig citrusy as well.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 03:03:25 PM by beergood »
Native: :sweden:
Pretty much fluent: :uk:
Getting along in: :germany:
Can ask for directions in: :spain:
Can order up to three beers in: :finland:
Understand: :norway: :denmark:

Róisín

« Reply #254 on: December 03, 2017, 04:32:01 PM »
Might go well with the juice and grated rind of a couple of limes.