Author Topic: Recipe swap (and other food related stuff)  (Read 73408 times)

faea

• Super-Newbie
Re: Recipe swap (and other food related stuff)
« Reply #225 on: April 21, 2017, 01:30:15 PM »
OMG that list looks amazing.  I am totally going to try a few. 

Can I add one: my fav is fishcakes.

Unfortunately where i currently reside I cannot get salted cod, so i have to suffer with fresh pacific cod.  Oh, my measurements are rough.

1 ½ pounds salt dried cod
¼ cup butter
1 small chopped onion
6 cups mashed potato
1 beaten egg
2 tbsp dried savoury (optional)
½ tsp black pepper

1. soak your cod overnight. (I can't get salt dried where i'm at currently so i buy fresh and add extra salt when making it)
2. boil the cod for 15 mins.
3.  mix all together.  mashed potatoes, cod, butter, egg, and spices.
4. roll into balls and then flatten. 
5. toss in flour then fry them until golden on either side.

nistalgia is hitting me now.  :)

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #226 on: May 12, 2017, 10:48:04 PM »
Bump just to indicate that all recipes are now on the list (here).
Could a mod please update the 1st post?
Ooops, sorry that took so long. First post now updated!
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #227 on: May 13, 2017, 01:42:02 AM »
While I was ghosted I found a really nice easy (for bread) bread recipe that makes super delicious soft/fine-textured sandwich-type bread! also, the only perishable ingredient is the yeast (which you can get in packets that don't have to live in the fridge), so it's really nice as a recipe to just keep the stuff lying around for and make it whenever you want, and if you were planning to but don't get to it this week it's fine.

Ingredients (in imperial unfortunately but hopefully those not in the US can convert? sorry about my country):
1 cup warm water
1 packet/2 1/4 tsp yeast
1/2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp oil
2 1/4 cup flour (plus about half a cup to a cup more for kneading)
Optional: fillings (mushrooms, cheese, the sky's the limit), seasonings (I like dill with a cheese filling, or rosemary, but you could do whatever -- you won't need more than 1 tbsp and it'll be much less for stronger stuff like rosemary), 1 egg + splash of milk for egg wash

Instructions:
Mix everything but the flour (and optional ingredients if using) in a biggish bowl. Let sit 10 minutes until the yeast foams up.
Add the flour (and any spices) and combine thoroughly, then turn out onto a floured countertop and knead until smooth and springy -- about 5-10 minutes (it tends to be very sticky for the first bit of this, keep adding flour and try to remove as much of what sticks to your hands as you can. You will get messy. I'm sorry. Your counter will also get messy. Try to get as much flour underneath as you can to minimize later cleanup.
Put back in bowl, cover, and let rise about an hour someplace warmish. Punch it down to release the bubbles, and give it another 15 minutes. At this point, it should be slightly clammy/damp, but only a little sticky (if you poke it, it shouldn't stick to your finger when you pull it out)
Stretch the dough into a big rectangle (I like to do about 25-30x45-50 cm, it's ok if it's a little uneven and it will be thicker on the edges than in the middle). Put filling on it if you're going to. Roll up the dough into a loafshape from a short end, then set it with the seam facing down on your cookie sheet (or in a loaf pan if you have one) and tuck the ends under so none of the spirally part shows. Score the top lightly with a sharp knife and cover with a clean dishtowel.
Let sit about half an hour. Preheat the oven to 375F (190C) in the middle of this, and if you're putting an egg wash on it, beat up your eggs and milk and brush it on the top of your loaf thinly (because you can't have less than one egg, there'll be a lot of extra. it's good for scrambled eggs, if you like those. the egg wash is 100% not necessary, but it does make the top nice n shiny so if you're giving the bread to someone it's prettier that way).
Bake for about 20-25 minutes (time will vary; it's done when it's golden brown on top + bottom and makes a hollow sound when you tap on the bottom). Let it cool a few minutes before slicing.
It'll keep about 4 days to a week (depending on your staleness standards) in an airtight container, although good luck keeping it around that long.

Photos under the cut!
Spoiler: show

None of these have egg wash on them, I don't keep eggs around at school and don't tend to photograph cooking at home.

and for reference here's what the dough looks like before and after kneading (I added some dill in that phase when I made this loaf, I was planning to add it with the flour but forgot. it turned out fine though). you can see it gets a lot nicer and more cohesive, it'll feel real soft and stretchy/springy.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 01:44:32 AM by Noodles »
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
« Reply #228 on: May 19, 2017, 04:03:35 PM »
Noodly: I just tried that recipe, I have two loaves in the oven right now. I made a double recipe, one loaf with apples and cinnamon and one with just dill. They're looking really good so far! :D
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #229 on: May 19, 2017, 04:09:13 PM »
Noodly: I just tried that recipe, I have two loaves in the oven right now. I made a double recipe, one loaf with apples and cinnamon and one with just dill. They're looking really good so far! :D

Ahhh nice! I've never tried making it with sweet filling, I should try that sometime. Tell me how it goes!
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Athena

« Reply #230 on: May 19, 2017, 04:35:05 PM »
Ahhh nice! I've never tried making it with sweet filling, I should try that sometime. Tell me how it goes!

Update on that, the dill one is soo good with cream cheese, and the apple cinnamon one turned out really well! The apples are really soft and perfectly cooked and the bread makes a good "crust". Thanks for the recipe! ;D

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

Athena

« Reply #231 on: June 29, 2017, 05:48:39 PM »
Last weekend at the farmers market I bought a bottle of dried rose petals. (I could have harvested them myself - there's a lot of wild rose bushes around where I live, but the dried ones are especially flavourful.) So, I tried making syrup out of them. I was originally thinking of making some sort of pastry, but I realized that syrup would probably be a vital ingredient for that anyway, plus it could be used for flavouring drinks. Here's the recipe I used:

Rose Simple Syrup (From this site.)
(I used double for all the ingredients because I wanted more, but this is the base recipe. The measurements are all very imprecise of course, feel free to tweak it to your tastes.)

-  1 cup water

-  1/2 cup Rose Water (Could have bought it, but its pretty easy to make so I spared myself the extra trip - just a cup [or a third of a cup is using dried] of rose petals boiled in water for about 5 minutes, then strained. I reused the petals for the syrup later, plus some extra.)

-  1 cup sugar

-  1 heaping cup rose petals, rinsed (the darker your petals, the more color you will get)

Heat the water, rose water, sugar and rose petals in a small saucepan until it comes to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the sugar.  Simmer gently for 5 minutes.

Let the liquid cool, then strain into a jar or bottle with a tight fitting lid.

Refrigerate until ready to use.  It will keep for a month.

It's quite good, and I already tried mixing a few drinks with it. Not sure what to call this drink, but its my favourite:

Put about 2 tablespoons of the syrup (or more/less to taste) in a mug.

Add a tablespoon of heavy cream and then fill the rest of your mug with milk.

Mix, and heat up. It's absolutely delightful!

Athena

« Reply #232 on: October 08, 2017, 12:11:02 AM »
Hey, I know this thread's been quite inactive for a while now, but I've been wanting to try this recipe and I was wondering if there was a cheaper alternative to vanilla paste? (it seems difficult to get in Canada too) Would ground beans, maybe mixed with a bit of water, work just as well?  Any advice would be appreciated!

If you want to experience what Lalli felt when he tasted Mikkel’s cookies, try this very easy recipe:

Vaniljekranse (Danish Butter Biscuit)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #233 on: October 08, 2017, 02:19:44 AM »
Luth, I would be inclined to try a similar quantity of crushed vanilla pod. Make sure you include the tiny seeds - they taste amazing! If you want to mix the crushed pod into something, use milk, cream or caster sugar: water doesn't bring outhe flavour nearly as well. Can you get vanilla essence in Canada? Be sure to get one labelled 'Natural Vanilla Essence', not 'Vanilla Flavour'. To me the synthetic vanilla always has an undertone of kerosene in the taste.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Athena

« Reply #234 on: October 09, 2017, 03:03:48 AM »
Luth, I would be inclined to try a similar quantity of crushed vanilla pod. Make sure you include the tiny seeds - they taste amazing! If you want to mix the crushed pod into something, use milk, cream or caster sugar: water doesn't bring outhe flavour nearly as well. Can you get vanilla essence in Canada? Be sure to get one labelled 'Natural Vanilla Essence', not 'Vanilla Flavour'. To me the synthetic vanilla always has an undertone of kerosene in the taste.

Thanks! I know a place nearby where I can buy vanilla pods, so that should work well. I'll probably end up using a bit of cream, that sounds good.

I'm not sure if its the same thing, but we have Vanilla Extract here, its basically just vanilla flavoured alcohol, so the flavour is usually pretty mediocre, but it doesn't seem to be synthetic, at least.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #235 on: October 09, 2017, 04:13:18 PM »
Thanks! I know a place nearby where I can buy vanilla pods, so that should work well. I'll probably end up using a bit of cream, that sounds good.

I'm not sure if its the same thing, but we have Vanilla Extract here, its basically just vanilla flavoured alcohol, so the flavour is usually pretty mediocre, but it doesn't seem to be synthetic, at least.

If you have a bit of glucose (aka light corn) syrup, that also makes a good shelf-stable substrate for the vanilla seeds and pulp.  You don't need much.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Róisín

« Reply #236 on: October 09, 2017, 04:51:10 PM »
Wavewright is correct, glucose works. And vanilla essence is like vanilla extract, just a bit more concentrated.

Shine

• Ranger
  • I'm probably a person.
« Reply #237 on: October 11, 2017, 03:51:45 PM »
I've been trying to find a generic recipe for cookies with, like, a jam filling, or whatever, so it could easily be adapted. Please help, I have inspiration, but not enough willpower to look it up on my own.

Just an explanation on how they work would be enough, I don't need measurements.
Probably.
Native :italy:
Fluent :uk: :germany:
Want to learn :norway: :finland:

Survived:        :chap5::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18:

Róisín

« Reply #238 on: October 11, 2017, 06:01:27 PM »
Jam cookies are pretty basic. The simplest recipe I know is to mix half a cup of butter with half a cup of sugar and a sprinkle of cinnamon, heat the mixture gently, stirring until it is warm and the sugar has all dissolved, add about a tablespoonful of honey or golden syrup and then slowly stir in fine oatmeal until the mix is about the consistency of porridge. This generally takes around a cupful of oatmeal, but varies with how fine it is, and how moist, so just add oatmeal slowly until the consistency is right. Drop spoonsful of the mixture onto a greased baking sheet. It should hold together, if too runny add a little more oatmeal. Flatten the top of each lump, making a little hollow in the top, and drop about a teaspoonful of jam into each hollow. I put in a few flaked almonds as well, and have seen others add coconut. Preheat the oven to around 180C, bake the cookies until brown and set, usually 12-15 minutes. Leave on the tray until nearly cool, then enjoy.

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #239 on: October 11, 2017, 08:10:56 PM »
The cookies my grandma makes are similar to the ones Róisín describes, but instead of oatmeal-based dough, it's shortbread. I don't know the exact recipe, but I imagine any decent shortbread will do. Portion out, put a divot in the middle, and add jam, then bake. They're consistently my favorite cookies out of the bunch!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!