Author Topic: Recipe swap (and other food related stuff)  (Read 72161 times)

Sparky Dragon

• Scout
  • [Insert witty/amusing phrase here.]
Re: Recipe swap (and other food related stuff)
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 05:17:38 PM »
One time I managed to forget 2/3 of the flour...in bread. Fortunately my mom noticed that the dough was curiously liquidy and we figured out what happened.

Chapter Breaks Survived: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Runner-Up in the International Mirror-Throwing Games, Year 89

Faust

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 05:52:45 PM »
A favourite of mine is rice and cheese based with veg and I preffer using spring onions and lettuce.
A 15m meal.
A kettle of water to speed up the pot boiling, get the rice started.
Grate a block of cheese.
Chop / prep the veg.

Drain the rice and put it back in the pot then add everything else and stir like mixing cement.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 06:35:10 PM »
Bake in the oven at 375 Celsius for about 40-45 minutes or until the top is a light brown color and it smells amazing.
I had to run down and check, and yes -my oven can't reach that kind of temperature. Are you sure you don't mean fahrenheit?
It's a mistranslation from the Icelandic original, and should read "bake oven in nearest volcano at ...". ;D
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 07:00:06 PM »
I had to run down and check, and yes -my oven can't reach that kind of temperature. Are you sure you don't mean fahrenheit?

It's a mistranslation from the Icelandic original, and should read "bake oven in nearest volcano at ...". ;D

"Bake until the crust and oven turn incandescent and release thermal radiation at 0.65 micrometer wavelengths".

I guess the whole metric-imperial/fahrenheit distinction can be tricky for US-Rest of the world recipe exchanges.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 07:02:14 PM by Fimbulvarg »

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2014, 07:53:43 PM »
Eh. Hehe. I probably should avoid this thread. Just today I burned a pizza ;_;

Awww! I too, made pizzas last night and actually thought of you (I was thinking "how can Nimphy not like mozzarella cheese?!") But they turned out rather well for once, so I was happy. The best bases are the made-from-scratch bases, and they're really fun to knead XD

My favorite dessert is a chocolate self-saucing pudding. But you can easily substitute the chocolate with extra vanilla or whatever flavor you want :) (I made a choc-chip one once) and it has extreme minimal washing up! I usually put it in the oven just as the family sits down for dinner, so that it's ready juuuuuust in time for dessert :)

Equipment needed: 1 butter knife, 1/2 measuring cup, 6-cup capacity oven/microwave proof dish, scales for weighing butter.

1. Preheat oven to 180/160°C. Put 60g chopped butter into dish and melt in the microwave for 20-30seconds. Pour in 1/2 cup of milk and 1tsp of vanilla essence and mix with butter-knife. 8)

2. Add 3/4 cup of caster sugar, then sift or sprinkle 1 cup self-raising flour and 1Tbsp of cocoa. Stir with the kniffffffe until it's a cool and tasty batter :)

3. Sift/sprinkle 3/4 cup brown sugar and 1Tbsp cocoa powder over the top like a sugary layer.

4. Gently pour 2 cups boiling water over the top, and place in the oven for 40 minutes.

5. Use this time to wash up the measuring cup and knife= the only washing up!!

~serve with cream or ice cream for extra yum~
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2014, 02:30:46 AM »

My favorite dessert is a chocolate self-saucing pudding. But you can easily substitute the chocolate with extra vanilla or whatever flavor you want :) (I made a choc-chip one once) and it has extreme minimal washing up! I usually put it in the oven just as the family sits down for dinner, so that it's ready juuuuuust in time for dessert :)

Mmmm... that looks yummy.  Easy, too.
Just a couple of questions re: translating this into American terminology/ingredients.

* What texture is "caster" sugar?  When I've seen it mentioned in British cookbooks, sometimes it seems to be the same as what we call plain white sugar -- relatively fine-crystalled, but our standard for baking, putting in coffee, etc.  Other times, "caster" sugar seems to = "powdered" sugar, i.e. extremely fine-textured (almost floury) sugar, prepared with a small amount of cornstarch to keep it dry and fluffy.  In the U.S., we usually use that to sprinkle over fruit, pancakes, desserts, etc., or to make frostings or certain cookies/frostings.

* I'm assuming your "self-raising" flour = our "self-rising" flour, which is plain flour plus baking powder and salt.  I've seen different formulas for how much baking powder and salt to add to each cup of plain flour for self-rising, but is there an Australian standard?
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2014, 02:41:45 AM »
Does anyone have any recipe requests or particular interests?  I love to cook, and after 20 years and some disasters, I've mostly worked the bugs out.  (I'll only allude to the Flaming Yam-in-Microwave Incident and the Exploding Wine Bottle-in-Freezer Incident, not to mention the Giant Bread Dough Lump that tried to take over my kitchen...)

If anything, I have too many favorite recipes, so I don't want to inundate people.

I was thinking of focusing here on Scandinavian dishes -- in particular, things the people of the Known World could plausibly eat.  So the split pea and ham soup I made last week would fit, but not anything using exotic warm-weather crops such as chocolate, cinnamon, black pepper, bananas, mango, artichokes, olives, lemons, etc.  I'd only share recipes I've personally tried and can comment on.

Any suggestions?
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Bobriha

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2014, 02:49:23 AM »
Finnish Kalakukko http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:C:2001:235:0012:0014:EN:PDF ! I have never baked it before, but it is something I wish to bake once I get my own apartment (which I beleive is going to happen next year).
And here is recipe of borsch the way my mom cook it:
Prepare meat broth (but you may use mushroom broth as well).
You will need following vegetables: onion, carrot, cabbage, potato, beetroot, tomato, paprica pepper, all sliced into small pieces.
Fry onion and carrot in vegetable oil, then add beetroot, tomato and paprica pepper and stew it all with tablespoon of tomato paste and a bit of the broth for about 20 minutes.
Cook potatos in broth till they get halfcooked then add the vegetables you stewed and the cabbage and cook till potatos get soft.
You may stew cabbage with the other vegetables, it's just my mom who likes cabbage to be a bit crispy. Spices are simple - black pepper and bay leaf and maybe some parsley roots for the broth.
Serve borsch with sour cream and green-stuff.
Btw, the best borsch is the borsch cooked a day before :)
majavanainen

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2014, 03:26:38 AM »
Mmmm... that looks yummy.  Easy, too.
Just a couple of questions re: translating this into American terminology/ingredients.

* What texture is "caster" sugar?  When I've seen it mentioned in British cookbooks, sometimes it seems to be the same as what we call plain white sugar -- relatively fine-crystalled, but our standard for baking, putting in coffee, etc.  Other times, "caster" sugar seems to = "powdered" sugar, i.e. extremely fine-textured (almost floury) sugar, prepared with a small amount of cornstarch to keep it dry and fluffy.  In the U.S., we usually use that to sprinkle over fruit, pancakes, desserts, etc., or to make frostings or certain cookies/frostings.

* I'm assuming your "self-raising" flour = our "self-rising" flour, which is plain flour plus baking powder and salt.  I've seen different formulas for how much baking powder and salt to add to each cup of plain flour for self-rising, but is there an Australian standard?

D8

Where I am, they're just....sold....as standard types...?
But I found this:
http://m.aww.com.au/food/expert-q-a/2013/11/how-to-make-self-raising-flour/
And here it says American sugar should be fine:
http://www.nigella.com/kitchen-queries/view/Caster-Sugar-Substitute/3360

Is that.......better? D'8

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2014, 03:33:26 AM »
Does anyone have any recipe requests or particular interests?

One thing I love about Scandinavian cuisine is their wholehearted embrace of, er... "non-western" fish preparations. I have a favorite mixture I use for curing salmon (sugar, salt, and dill... and time, obviously. Usually two-three days in the fridge is ideal but I am very impatient...) but I would love to learn others!

Other than that, I wholeheartedly agree with this premise!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 03:35:05 AM by Solovei »
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2014, 03:51:42 AM »
Any suggestions?

I'd think that savory and sweet pies and tarts would be pretty popular in SSSS because you just need to make a pastry, and then put in whatever's available as the filling. So fish, game, basic vegetables and fruits, and then maybe even egg custards :) Plus they last and travel fairly well.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2014, 01:55:52 PM »
I'll put my recipe in english and german, so those who want to learn german can write it down in origin (and the germans around here speaking better english than me can root the errors out ;) ). Depending on the water added and pumpkin/carrots used it is for 1-3 persons.

kürbissuppe:  (Pumpkin soup)
1 Fingerbreite Ingwerscheibe klein gehackt - half an inch of ginger
1-2 Zehen Knoblauch (Optional) - toes of garlic
3 Lauchzwiebeln - spring onions
ca. 1 Spann Lauch - 3-4 inches of leek
1 TL Olivenöl - Teaspoon of olive oil (you can take more if you like)
20-30g frische Kokosnuss (Optional) - fresh kokonut (must be about one eigth of a fresh fruit)
200-300g Möhren - carrots (about 3-5 carrots depending on size)
150-250g Kürbis - pumpkin (I had a small one, hokkaido, was about a quarter)
50-80g Kartoffel (optional) - potatoe (1 potatoe, you can put up to three middle sized ones)
ca. 100g Magerquark - curd
Kreuzkümmel, Salz, Pfeffer, Gelbwurz - cumin, salt, pepper, curcuma

1. Cut ginger, garlic, leek and kokonut to small pieces and roast gently with cumin in the oil.
2.Add carrots and after roasting shortly add some water. Put the lit on the poot and stew.
3. While doing this cut pumpkin and potatoe in small pieces and add together with the curcuma. Roast shortly.
4. Add water as needed and stew until everything is soft. Add salt and pepper as you prefer.
5. If you can, puree everything.
6. When finished cooking and hearth is out add the curd.

Original:
1. Ingwer und Knoblauch/Lauch/Lauchzwiebeln und Kokosnuss kleinhacken und zusammen mit Kreuzkümmel im Olivenöl leicht anbraten.
2. Karotten und einen Schuss Wasser dazu, Deckel drauf und andünsten.
3. Derweil Kürbis und Kartoffel kleinmachen und zusammen mit Gelbwurz in den Topf geben und kurz anbraten.
4. Wasser nach Bedarf dazugeben und kochen, bis alles weich ist. Mit Salz und Pfeffer nach Bedarf abschmecken.
5. Nach Möglichkeit pürieren.
6. Wenn der Herd aus ist, den Magerquark unterrühren.

As it is apple time here ad well I sometimes add an apple or two to the soup.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2014, 03:44:11 PM »
I'll put my recipe in english and german, so those who want to learn german can write it down in origin (and the germans around here speaking better english than me can root the errors out ;) ). Depending on the water added and pumpkin/carrots used it is for 1-3 persons.

kürbissuppe:  (Pumpkin soup)
1 Fingerbreite Ingwerscheibe klein gehackt - half an inch of ginger
1-2 Zehen Knoblauch (Optional) - toes of garlic
3 Lauchzwiebeln - spring onions
ca. 1 Spann Lauch - 3-4 inches of leek
1 TL Olivenöl - Teaspoon of olive oil (you can take more if you like)
20-30g frische Kokosnuss (Optional) - fresh kokonut (must be about one eigth of a fresh fruit)
200-300g Möhren - carrots (about 3-5 carrots depending on size)
150-250g Kürbis - pumpkin (I had a small one, hokkaido, was about a quarter)
50-80g Kartoffel (optional) - potatoe (1 potatoe, you can put up to three middle sized ones)
ca. 100g Magerquark - curd
Kreuzkümmel, Salz, Pfeffer, Gelbwurz - cumin, salt, pepper, curcuma

1. Cut ginger, garlic, leek and kokonut to small pieces and roast gently with cumin in the oil.
2.Add carrots and after roasting shortly add some water. Put the lit on the poot and stew.
3. While doing this cut pumpkin and potatoe in small pieces and add together with the curcuma. Roast shortly.
4. Add water as needed and stew until everything is soft. Add salt and pepper as you prefer.
5. If you can, puree everything.
6. When finished cooking and hearth is out add the curd.

As it is apple time here I sometimes add an apple or two to the soup.

Dear Kex:

Your soup sounds delicious!  I like the exotic note of the coconut, cumin, and turmeric (as "curcuma" is known in the U.S.) with all the root vegetables.

I've taken the liberty of editing your recipe to flow better in U.S. English.  (However, I've left your metric quantities the same; I may translate those later.)  I also inserted a few queries.  I hope this doesn't crush your spirit -- I'm a copy editor by training and a great believer in exactitude.  When I cook, I'm totally OK with experimenting, but I know a lot of people get anxious in the kitchen and need all quantities, processes, etc. spelled out without any room for doubt. 

With that said...

German Pumpkin Soup

½ inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated (or minced small)
1-2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
3 spring or green onions, minced
3-4” piece of leek
1 T. olive oil  [Note: I upped this from 1 tsp. (1/3 of a tablespoon) based on my experience of sauteing vegetables]
20-30g fresh coconut (optional) – about 1/8 of a fresh coconut  [Note – should it be grated?  Otherwise, fresh coconut in pieces might take a while to soften in cooking.]
200-300g carrots – about 3-5 depending on size, peeled and chopped
150-250g pumpkin or other winter squash, peeled, seeded, and diced [Note: Americans tend to use the term “pumpkin” ONLY for Cucurbita pepo, the Halloween pumpkin, with everything else being called “winter squash” or by its varietal name.  "Hokkaido" = the beautiful red kuri squash.]
50-80g potato (optional) – about one large baking potato or 2-3 smaller ones, peeled and diced
1 ½-2 cups water, or as needed
about 100g quark or farmer’s cheese [Note: Quark is hard to find outside of big cities in the U.S.  Could plain yogurt, sour cream, or something similar be substituted?]
Cumin, salt, pepper, turmeric  [Quantities? I adore cumin but would probably recommend starting with ½ tsp.  Making it for myself, I’d probably put in 1 tsp.]

1. Cut ginger, garlic, leek and coconut into small pieces and fry gently with the cumin in the oil.  [See note above about how small to chop/grate the coconut.]
2.Add carrots and continue frying until they have softened a bit.  Add the water and bring to a boil.  Then reduce to a simmer, cover the pot, and let it simmer.
3. While doing this cut pumpkin and potato in small pieces and add together with the turmeric. [How much turmeric?  And when you say “Roast shortly,” do you mean fry in a separate pan, or just add to the soup and let cook a few minutes before adding the water?]
4. Add water as needed and stew until everything is soft. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. If you can, puree everything.  An immersion blender is ideal.
6. When finished cooking, turn off the heat and add the curd.  [As a topping, like sour cream on borscht, or mixed in to make it creamy?] Serve.

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2014, 04:33:05 PM »
Awww! I too, made pizzas last night and actually thought of you (I was thinking "how can Nimphy not like mozzarella cheese?!") But they turned out rather well for once, so I was happy. The best bases are the made-from-scratch bases, and they're really fun to knead XD

When it's on pizza, mozzarella cheese is the best invention ever. But when it's plain old mozzarella (especially the mozzarella di bufala), it's just to squishy and milky. Bleah. I'm pretty sure it's linked to a little incident where I almost choked on milk as a kindergartener, and hated milk and anything vaguely milky-tasting for the rest of my life. Even now, a glass of milk in the morning usually makes me feel sick.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2014, 11:54:27 PM »
Pumpkin soup recipes! Very good timing, as there are accidental pumpkins in the backyard that I must harvest today.