Author Topic: Series (TV and streaming) thread  (Read 492 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Series (TV and streaming) thread
« on: March 12, 2023, 02:22:44 PM »
Anyone interested in discussing and recommending TV or streaming series that would be of interest to our crowd? It’s a bit tricky as they are not generally available the way books are, let alone webcomics, but it might work?

So, let me know which series you are watching or have enjoyed, and why? Spoilers should go under spoiler tags, but general description of what it’s about can and should be included openly.

The point being the open part is intended to let people know something might be worth checking out, but any discussion about what actually happens beyond the beginning is geared to others who have watched already. Please indicate what the spoilers cover, e.g. ”entire Season 1” or ”S3 E5”. As always, if there’s more discussion about any title, a dedicated thread can be opened although even then the tags may be needed as people have different availability for series.

I have a couple that I want to recommend.

Firstly, Beforeigners. If you can find it somewhere, it’s definitely worth a try! The premise is fascinating and I think it holds some particular interest for SSSS fans. Some inexplicable phenomenon is causing people from several historical periods to appear in the current time. The series takes place in Oslo, where people from the 1800`s, Stone Age and in particular Viking times are showing up in the Oslofjorden.

The series starts at least several years after this has started occurring, but more people still turn up. There are many cleverly written consequences of this, such as stone age hunters seen in city parks. The main characters a two police officers, one a modern day Norwegian man and the other a Viking woman. They investigate a series of crimes against the beforeigners, while encountering their own challenges, which include Lars Haaland’s burnout and the timeism Alfhildr Enginsdottir has to face from her colleagues in the police force. The series is in Norwegian, mostly modern but the Viking characters also speak real Old Norse.

The two seasons made so far were on HBO, until their merger with Discovery which resulted in ditching of most of their European shows. Apparently the rights have been transferred to a new service SkyShowtime, but I don’t know about the current availability. It is on Amazon Prime Video, again availability varies by region. There’s also mention of availability via service Spectrum Streaming on Demand, which I don’t know anything about. But there’s also information from this year that the production company is seeking financing from the state of Norway for Season 3, so hopefully it’s not dead yet. HBO had already renewed it, but things went bad with the merger. Anyways Season two opened further storylines so I definitely hope it will find a new home.

There is occasional violence, pretty much like your normal crime series. No details of autopsies or something like that so not likely anything a n SSSS fan would find too unsavory. The age ratings seem to vary from 10 to 18 but 18 is definitely overkill. I’d rate it at 13 (or 12 as is the category in Finland), although I don’t remember every episode in n full, some might be closer to 16. But not 18!

If anyone has seen it, I’d love to discuss!

The second one is The Last of Us. Despite being based on a game, it’s an interesting and very well made post apocalyptic drama / adventure / action / horror show. Seriously, the story is good, the characters are good, and the horror effects are good but not so good that I would be unable to watch :) It’s fresh out on HBO Max as well as some direct TV. Season 1 started this January and the latest episode (S1E8) was out last week. Based on Wikipedia there may be another still tonight.

The starting point is pretty much your run of the mill zombie pandemic apocalypse. It’s caused by a human variant of the ant zombie fungus (real thing in ants, not transferable to humans), which is universally transmitted by a bite from an infected person. The incubation period is from minutes to days only, which allows a higher survival rate than the Rash, but still the society has collapsed and Things Are Bad all round, There is an overall arc but several of the episodes also have interesting stories about various aspects of survival in or after the apocalypse.

There’s loads of violence and very graphic too, this I’d definitely rate at 18 as does HBO. NOT suitable for children. There are the infected but there’s also human on human violence, so if you like SSSS particularly because there isn’t any, then maybe Last of Us is not your show. In addition to gore there’s some body horror and other unpleasantries. I’m not much into horror and I haven’t had trouble stomaching it, but if you are faint of heart, proceed with caution.

Edited to add: The Last of Us is rife with horrible language. I don’t mind the slightest, but since it is one of the grounds for ratings I suppose it should be mentioned. It’s not so much some F-bombs than an F-automatic gun.

I prefer series ro movies because I want to grow attached to the characters, which is harder in two hours than in ten. I love it when series run and run :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 04:51:10 PM by Jitter »
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
Re: Series (TV and streaming) thread
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2023, 03:24:56 PM »
I think it's a great idea for a thread. :)

I tried to find Beforeigners on Amazon Prime, but it didn't show up. Probably some region restriction... Seems quite interesting. Maybe I'll find it on other source... I'll let you know.

I've been watching The Last of Us and it's indeed good! Just watched until ep. 5 so far, and enjoyed each, but particularly ep. 3, that is particularly touching, and tense, because I was  waiting all the time for something terrible to happen...

Now i'm a bit short on time to write more, but I'll be happy to discuss. :)

On my side... oh, there are so many! I'm in for a long list*, but perhaps I could suggest The Peripheral (Amazon Prime), that has a very intriguing premise and is very well done, even if sometimes a bit confusing because there is (a kind of) time travel involved (see spoiler below). To be honest I'm still unsure if they will make this work... First Season is done, Second is "on talks", AFAIK. Be warned, the very first episode has one violent scene that got me in the guts (which is uncommon) and one plot hole (that only becomes evident later)

* like The Expanse (Amazon Prime), Supernatural (idem), Rings of Power (idem), Westworld (HBO), Game of thornes/House of the Dragon (HBO), Stranger Things (Netflix), Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul (idem), Sandman (idem), etc... I could be here a loong time...

Mild spoiler for The Peripheral:
Spoiler: show
They go for the Multiverse approach. Actually they take advantage on it inside the story. So paradoxes are not that annoying thing. Still things may be confusing, and as I said I'm not sure if the authors will be able to make it work.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 04:09:12 PM by thegreyarea »
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
Re: Series (TV and streaming) thread
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2023, 06:39:48 AM »
I'll have to have a look for Beforeigners, it sounds really interesting! The Last of Us is already on my radar. I haven't played the games but every single person I know who does loves them for the characters and story as well as the gameplay and how the two interact, and I've only heard positive things from them about the show - so I'd say it's probably worth giving the first game a shot if you like the series and also like games!

It's been a while since I've watched any proper series, it's mostly been anime when it's been anything. The latest of which is Castlevania - been enjoying that one a ton. On Netflix, original language is interestingly enough English so that's what I've been watching it in. You could stick to first season only, it's a good story arc. Maybe because it has Richard Armitage voicing one of the main characters, and only really has adult characters, but it feels to me more a TV series than a mainstream anime. Good writing, has gore but the rating here is only 12 (I'd imagine it would go higher in other places but since it's mainly violence and gore with incidental f-bombs I doubt it'd go that high). Animation can sometimes be a little janky but they save the budget for the scenes that count (and oh boy do they count), and since it's Castlevania designs and backgrounds are beautifully detailed.

Oh yeah, and rereading thegreyarea's list... latest non-animation series I've watched is Sandman! Huge recommendation from me there. Would maybe recommend looking up on a site like doesthedogdie or something - though it doesn't ever cross a line, some scenes are heartbreaking and rough. There's one in particular I'm thinking of where it might hit parents very hard and it might need skipping or fast forwarding depending on your headspace. It was a joy to watch, though. Interesting stories and characters galore, and how things were shot and edited, too. Very textured, I think is the word I'd use. I'm someone who appreciates having details that matter in that way - I enjoy Wes Anderson films partially for that reason.

Am notified of private messages via email.