Spoiler: Our crew! • showSaga Viggósdóttir, 27, Icelandic skald and navigator
Harald 'Otsopoika' Heikki, 38, Finnish blacksmith
Astrid Nilsen, 25, Norwegian engineer and helmswoman
Dísa Ánnsdóttir, 23, Icelandic mage
Oliver Harwood, 23, British scout
Marianne Haugen, 22, Norwegian helmswoman and an ex-soldier
Ludvig Nyman, 34, Swedish medic and marine biologist
Leo Kalsea, 30, Finnish soldier and medic
Svenny, 4.5, Icelandic grade B cat. meow meow meow.

FAQ that nobody actually asked:
Spring-summer-autumn expedition to explore Mediterranean and other parts of Southern Europe, Northern Africa and Suez! We go by ship. The year is 130. Have fun :>

:is: "... Leif?"
:is: "Yes?"
"Why is the ship registered as Leif's Ånd."
"Oh? I named it that. I thought it would be fitting" he replies with a grin.
"You aren't even coming!"
"But my money is."
"Gods give me patience..." Saga continues flipping through the documents, while Leif starts a fun little monologue about how it was an appropriate name, because his ancestor discovered the American continent, while he is funding an unprecedented expedition to the Silent World. She listens with less than half an ear, looking at the files of the people he had hired. He hired... two and a half medics. And no metalworker to fix the ship, if the hull breaches. Or whatever else could happen on a ship that size.
Perhaps she should have been overseeing him a bit more, but she was overworked with planning out the details of the expedition, supplies, maps, recollections of other people about the seas both from this and previous age, convincing people that it was a better idea to sail the seas in summer to avoid the horrible storms that could plague both seas had they went in wintertime, and that they should definitely set out in spring.
Leviathans are temporary, but storms are forever?
You can kill a sea beast, but not the creation of gods' rage?
Whatever.
The people should be all coming here today... Is there time to find a metalworker in the docks...?
Probably not, but she should still try.
So far, nobody came knocking into a small building Leif bought and filled to the brim with radios, maps, and numerous files and sets of information about the lands they were about to visit. It is honestly an incredible mess, but at least she managed to keep the table and the chairs clear, so that the people coming would have a place to sit while they hold their final briefing...
There is time, she decides.
"I'm going out. I need to find us someone that can fix the not-engine parts of the ship" she says, grabbing her light spring jacket.
"What?"
"It's a massive ship! We can't just have an engineer on board, what if we need to fix or replace larger parts of the ship? Or if we need a new part that she can't just bring forth out of thin air?"
Leif's face pales, although it's hard to notice it. "I... did not think of that."
"Yes, I noticed. I'll go get someone now. If anyone comes, be polite, don't show off all the things you have, and offer them tea or coffee." He probably knows how to make a warm drink. Right?

Ragnarok:
Thud. Thud. Thud.
Whatever was outside the office, it's heavy, and judging from how it was getting louder and starting to make the water in Leif's glass ripple, coming closer.
Thud. Thud. Thud.
The noise stops outside the door.
There's a very polite knock.

Kitty:

--- Quote from: Ragnarok on December 08, 2020, 12:58:32 PM ---Thud. Thud. Thud.
Whatever was outside the office, it's heavy, and judging from how it was getting louder and starting to make the water in Leif's glass ripple, coming closer.
Thud. Thud. Thud.
The noise stops outside the door.
There's a very polite knock.

--- End quote ---

As the loud noises begin outside, Saga pauses by the door, hesitating to open it. The knock confuses both her and Leif, and after exchanging a look, Leif just shrugs.
:is: "It's Höfn. The noise could've came from anything" he says. Not just some random, unknown and questionable person I may or may not have hired to share a ship with you for months, he doesn't say.
Saga shrugs in return and opens the door.

Ragnarok:

--- Quote from: Kitty on December 08, 2020, 01:11:10 PM ---As the loud noises begin outside, Saga pauses by the door, hesitating to open it. The knock confuses both her and Leif, and after exchanging a look, Leif just shrugs.
:is: "It's Höfn. The noise could've came from anything" he says. Not just some random, unknown and questionable person I may or may not have hired to share a ship with you for months, he doesn't say.
Saga shrugs in return and opens the door.

--- End quote ---

There's a very large man in the door. That, or a small bear. The man is heavily bearded, and nearly two meters tall. His face looks like it's been chiseled out of stone, and he's wearing a button-top shirt, pants, and a thick apron. He is carrying an anvil on one shoulder, and a huge pack is on his back, with a two-handed hammer with a head the size of Saga's own strapped to it.
He is carrying an anvil on one shoulder. It doesn't appear to bother him in the slightest.
The man looks down at her impassively. :no: "This is the meeting room for the expedition, yes?" he asks, in a voice so deep it rumbles inside the chests of everyone present. "Do you need any further crew members?"

Kitty:

--- Quote from: Ragnarok on December 08, 2020, 01:30:08 PM ---There's a very large man in the door. That, or a small bear. The man is heavily bearded, and nearly two meters tall. His face looks like it's been chiseled out of stone, and he's wearing a button-top shirt, pants, and a thick apron. He is carrying an anvil on one shoulder, and a huge pack is on his back, with a two-handed hammer with a head the size of Saga's own strapped to it.
He is carrying an anvil on one shoulder. It doesn't appear to bother him in the slightest.
The man looks down at her impassively. :no: "This is the meeting room for the expedition, yes?" he asks, in a voice so deep it rumbles inside the chests of everyone present. "Do you need any further crew members?"

--- End quote ---

Saga steps back as soon as she sees him, more out of instinct than genuine fear.
Behind her, Leif meeps.
She recovers from the initial surprise and offers him a friendly smile. :no: "Yes, we need a metalworker. Or... a blacksmith? You seem to be one...?" she says, opening the door fully and waving him to come in. She sits down at the table, facing him. "Have you any experience working on ships? Any letters of recommendation, perhaps?"
:is: "Why are you letting him in?! Who is that?"
:is: "A metalworker, it seems." She turns back to Harald quickly, easily going back to ignoring Leif. :no: "My name is Saga Viggósdóttir, and that is Leif Erikson" she says. "What is your name, and would you like a cup of coffee? Or tea?"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version