Author Topic: Unified Roleplay Round 3: Play  (Read 45655 times)

Kitty

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • blueberry juice
Unified Roleplay Round 3: Play
« on: December 08, 2020, 12:41:20 PM »
~~ Tour de Mediterranean ~~

Spoiler: Our crew! • show
Saga Viggósdóttir, 27, Icelandic skald and navigator
Harald 'Otsopoika' Heikki, 38, Finnish blacksmith
Astrid Nilsen, 25, Norwegian engineer and helmswoman
Dísa Ánnsdóttir, 23, Icelandic mage
Oliver Harwood, 23, British scout
Marianne Haugen, 22, Norwegian helmswoman and an ex-soldier
Ludvig Nyman, 34, Swedish medic and marine biologist
Leo Kalsea, 30, Finnish soldier and medic
Svenny, 4.5, Icelandic grade B cat. meow meow meow.

FAQ that nobody actually asked:
Spring-summer-autumn expedition to explore Mediterranean and other parts of Southern Europe, Northern Africa and Suez! We go by ship. The year is 130. Have fun :>

:is: "... Leif?"
:is: "Yes?"
"Why is the ship registered as Leif's Ånd."
"Oh? I named it that. I thought it would be fitting" he replies with a grin.
"You aren't even coming!"
"But my money is."
"Gods give me patience..." Saga continues flipping through the documents, while Leif starts a fun little monologue about how it was an appropriate name, because his ancestor discovered the American continent, while he is funding an unprecedented expedition to the Silent World. She listens with less than half an ear, looking at the files of the people he had hired. He hired... two and a half medics. And no metalworker to fix the ship, if the hull breaches. Or whatever else could happen on a ship that size.
Perhaps she should have been overseeing him a bit more, but she was overworked with planning out the details of the expedition, supplies, maps, recollections of other people about the seas both from this and previous age, convincing people that it was a better idea to sail the seas in summer to avoid the horrible storms that could plague both seas had they went in wintertime, and that they should definitely set out in spring.
Leviathans are temporary, but storms are forever?
You can kill a sea beast, but not the creation of gods' rage?

Whatever.
The people should be all coming here today... Is there time to find a metalworker in the docks...?
Probably not, but she should still try.
So far, nobody came knocking into a small building Leif bought and filled to the brim with radios, maps, and numerous files and sets of information about the lands they were about to visit. It is honestly an incredible mess, but at least she managed to keep the table and the chairs clear, so that the people coming would have a place to sit while they hold their final briefing...
There is time, she decides.
"I'm going out. I need to find us someone that can fix the not-engine parts of the ship" she says, grabbing her light spring jacket.
"What?"
"It's a massive ship! We can't just have an engineer on board, what if we need to fix or replace larger parts of the ship? Or if we need a new part that she can't just bring forth out of thin air?"
Leif's face pales, although it's hard to notice it. "I... did not think of that."
"Yes, I noticed. I'll go get someone now. If anyone comes, be polite, don't show off all the things you have, and offer them tea or coffee." He probably knows how to make a warm drink. Right?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 04:57:59 PM by Kitty »

Native: :hr:
Fluent: :gb: :us: :ba: :rs:
Can kinda understand but not really: :si:
Not really: :de:

Ragnarok

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
Re: Unified Roleplay Round 3: Play
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 12:58:32 PM »
Thud. Thud. Thud.
Whatever was outside the office, it's heavy, and judging from how it was getting louder and starting to make the water in Leif's glass ripple, coming closer.
Thud. Thud. Thud.
The noise stops outside the door.
There's a very polite knock.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 01:05:40 PM by Ragnarok »
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Kitty

• blueberry juice
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 01:11:10 PM »
Thud. Thud. Thud.
Whatever was outside the office, it's heavy, and judging from how it was getting louder and starting to make the water in Leif's glass ripple, coming closer.
Thud. Thud. Thud.
The noise stops outside the door.
There's a very polite knock.

As the loud noises begin outside, Saga pauses by the door, hesitating to open it. The knock confuses both her and Leif, and after exchanging a look, Leif just shrugs.
:is: "It's Höfn. The noise could've came from anything" he says. Not just some random, unknown and questionable person I may or may not have hired to share a ship with you for months, he doesn't say.
Saga shrugs in return and opens the door.

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 01:30:08 PM »
As the loud noises begin outside, Saga pauses by the door, hesitating to open it. The knock confuses both her and Leif, and after exchanging a look, Leif just shrugs.
:is: "It's Höfn. The noise could've came from anything" he says. Not just some random, unknown and questionable person I may or may not have hired to share a ship with you for months, he doesn't say.
Saga shrugs in return and opens the door.

There's a very large man in the door. That, or a small bear. The man is heavily bearded, and nearly two meters tall. His face looks like it's been chiseled out of stone, and he's wearing a button-top shirt, pants, and a thick apron. He is carrying an anvil on one shoulder, and a huge pack is on his back, with a two-handed hammer with a head the size of Saga's own strapped to it.
He is carrying an anvil on one shoulder. It doesn't appear to bother him in the slightest.
The man looks down at her impassively. :no: "This is the meeting room for the expedition, yes?" he asks, in a voice so deep it rumbles inside the chests of everyone present. "Do you need any further crew members?"
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Kitty

• blueberry juice
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 01:47:04 PM »
There's a very large man in the door. That, or a small bear. The man is heavily bearded, and nearly two meters tall. His face looks like it's been chiseled out of stone, and he's wearing a button-top shirt, pants, and a thick apron. He is carrying an anvil on one shoulder, and a huge pack is on his back, with a two-handed hammer with a head the size of Saga's own strapped to it.
He is carrying an anvil on one shoulder. It doesn't appear to bother him in the slightest.
The man looks down at her impassively. :no: "This is the meeting room for the expedition, yes?" he asks, in a voice so deep it rumbles inside the chests of everyone present. "Do you need any further crew members?"

Saga steps back as soon as she sees him, more out of instinct than genuine fear.
Behind her, Leif meeps.
She recovers from the initial surprise and offers him a friendly smile. :no: "Yes, we need a metalworker. Or... a blacksmith? You seem to be one...?" she says, opening the door fully and waving him to come in. She sits down at the table, facing him. "Have you any experience working on ships? Any letters of recommendation, perhaps?"
:is: "Why are you letting him in?! Who is that?"
:is: "A metalworker, it seems." She turns back to Harald quickly, easily going back to ignoring Leif. :no: "My name is Saga Viggósdóttir, and that is Leif Erikson" she says. "What is your name, and would you like a cup of coffee? Or tea?"
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 01:50:51 PM by Kitty »

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 01:51:27 PM »
Leo silently sips his coffee as he strolls through the dockyard. With his hair tie having broken when he'd attempted to tie it back this morning his hair was floofed out like the mane of a lion's with not attempt made to tame it.

While the docks at home were never quite this busy at home, he still slides through the crowd fairly easily while he checks the hand drawn map he had made based off his new employers directions.

He pauses a ways from the building and watches the interaction between someone carrying a giant pack and whoever is within the building. Leo then arches an eyebrow as he notices the anvil being carried on one of the man's shoulders.

He sips his coffee and waits, moving out of the way of people hauling gear and line through the dockyard as needed.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 02:06:41 PM »
Saga steps back as soon as she sees him, more out of instinct than genuine fear.
Behind her, Leif meeps.
She recovers from the initial surprise and offers him a friendly smile. :no: "Yes, we need a metalworker. Or... a blacksmith? You seem to be one...?" she says, opening the door fully and waving him to come in. She sits down at the table, facing him. "Have you any experience working on ships? Any letters of recommendation, perhaps?"
:is: "Why are you letting him in?! Who is that?"
:is: "A metalworker, it seems." She turns back to Harald quickly, easily going back to ignoring Leif. :no: "My name is Saga Viggósdóttir, and that is Leif Erikson" she says. "What is your name, and would you like a cup of coffee? Or tea?"

:no: "Harald. Coffee. I am a blacksmith, but did not bring any letters."
Harald sets the anvil down with an audible thump, his oversized pack joining it a moment later.
"I do not have any real experience with ships," the man says quietly. "Still, I would like to join."

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2020, 02:18:26 PM »
Leo silently sips his coffee as he strolls through the dockyard. With his hair tie having broken when he'd attempted to tie it back this morning his hair was floofed out like the mane of a lion's with not attempt made to tame it.

While the docks at home were never quite this busy at home, he still slides through the crowd fairly easily while he checks the hand drawn map he had made based off his new employers directions.

He pauses a ways from the building and watches the interaction between someone carrying a giant pack and whoever is within the building. Leo then arches an eyebrow as he notices the anvil being carried on one of the man's shoulders.

He sips his coffee and waits, moving out of the way of people hauling gear and line through the dockyard as needed.

:is:"Uhm, sorry? Do you speak Icelandic? I´m not sure whether I´m in the right place..."

A young woman with brown, curly hair in two pigtails is speaking. She had been standing in the middle of the dock looking kind of lost for a while now. She is carrying a huge backpack with two harpoons sticking out, a belt with even more small bags and a guitar-case for some reason. It seems she had been watching the interaction between the bearman with the anvil and the person inside too.
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Kitty

• blueberry juice
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2020, 02:24:22 PM »
:no: "Harald. Coffee. I am a blacksmith, but did not bring any letters."
Harald sets the anvil down with an audible thump, his oversized pack joining it a moment later.
"I do not have any real experience with ships," the man says quietly. "Still, I would like to join."

:is: "Make a coffee for the man, will you?" Saga says to Leif.
Leif throws his hands into the air. "Do everything for a girl, and she still has demands" he says dramatically, off to brew Harald a cup.
:no: "Hmm... I am not sure if it would be the best... I'd prefer if you came with some recommendation. Do you have anyone to vouch for you? And any examples of your work? It is a very dangerous journey, we need people with as much experience as possible."
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 02:39:08 PM by Kitty »

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2020, 02:30:33 PM »
:is: "Make a coffee for the man, will you?" Saga says to Leif.
Leif throws his hands into the air. "Do everything for a girl, and she still has demands" he says dramatically, off to brew Harald a cup.
:no: "Hmm... I am not sure if it would be the best... I'd prefer if you came with some recommendation. Do you have anyone to vouch for you? And any examples of your work? It is a very dangerous journey, we need people with as much experience as possible."

:is: "Ah! Hello!" Leif greets her, happily abandoning the task of making coffee. "Come in, come in. Once everybody gathers, we will have a small briefing and then you'll be off~. I am Leif Erikson, the man who hired you all. Please wait for a few moments, Saga is talking to the last person we need for the journey."

Harald shrugs, and pulls the hammer off of his pack. :no: "Would this suffice? I made it myself."
The hammer is obviously well-made, if more meant to be functional than pretty. It's clearly a weapon rather than a tool, one side blunt and the other ending in a sharp spike.
:no: "If not," Harald rumbles, "allow for the fact that I brought my own tools and forge, and do not care about payment."

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2020, 02:37:29 PM »
:is:"Uhm, sorry? Do you speak Icelandic? I´m not sure whether I´m in the right place..."

A young woman with brown, curly hair in two pigtails is speaking. She had been standing in the middle of the dock looking kind of lost for a while now. She is carrying a huge backpack with two harpoons sticking out, a belt with even more small bags and a guitar-case for some reason. It seems she had been watching the interaction between the bearman with the anvil and the person inside too.

Leo glances in her direction and sips some more coffee.

:fi: "Personal space?" This earns him a chuckle from one of the passing dockworkers that caught what he said, he sighs after realizing that none of the dockworkers are going to stop and help the girl, and speaks up,  :is: "Some. Here for," he pauses as though trying to find the words, "work in southlands on boat?"

« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 02:40:45 PM by Solokov »
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Lallicat

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they/it
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2020, 02:45:17 PM »
Astrid arrived on the docks, excitement bubbling in her chest. She could hear the new lands waiting to be explored calling out to her. A smile split on her face so wide it hurt. Unable to suppress it, she hid it by pretending to double-check her bag. As if she hadn't quadruple checked it before she left home, and a few dozen more times on the boat ride here. Looking around, the smell of the sea assaulting her nostrils, she felt a shiver snake along her spine. Gathering up her stuff, she started to walk along the boats docked up, trying to remember the instructions to the expedition office. Another burst of excitement took over her, and she started skipping for a good 3 meters before she realized that it was very unprofessional. She got lost a few times trying to find her way, but her pride would not let her ask for help. When she finally arrived, she knocked three times on the door, placing one hand on the handle to try and steady her nerves. Stupid move. The door opened and she promptly fell inside, her pack falling open, and quite a few cat treats spilling on her. Well, this was embarrassing.
Fluent in :us: and :fr:

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2020, 02:52:02 PM »

Leo glances in her direction and sips some more coffee.

:fi: "Personal space?" This earns him a chuckle from one of the passing dockworkers that caught what he said, he sighs after realizing that none of the dockworkers are going to stop and help the girl, and speaks up,  :is: "Some. Here for," he pauses as though trying to find the words, "work in southlands on boat?"

A hopeful glow appears in the girl´s eyes. ":is: Yes! thank you. Uh... :fi: Finnish better? I not good, but can try." She searches for words for a bit. "Uhm... is this house?" She points at the building the  man from earlier had just disappeared in, and a red-haired woman is now knocking at.
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Kitty

• blueberry juice
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2020, 02:55:52 PM »
Harald shrugs, and pulls the hammer off of his pack. :no: "Would this suffice? I made it myself."
The hammer is obviously well-made, if more meant to be functional than pretty. It's clearly a weapon rather than a tool, one side blunt and the other ending in a sharp spike.
:no: "If not," Harald rumbles, "allow for the fact that I brought my own tools and forge, and do not care about payment."

:no: "Uhh... I'll ask, but let me have a look, please" she says, getting up and having a look at the hammer. She doesn't try to touch it or to pick it up, who knows what it could have hit... perhaps even a beast or a troll? But from her vague knowledge of what proper tools should look like, she decides it looks solid. And if he brings all the tools necessary... and he is bringing them...
:is: "Leif, he says his name is Harald, he has no recommendations, never worked on a ship..." she starts.
"Obviously, that's a no."
"...and that he doesn't care about payment, made this very well-made hammer, and is bringing the whole forge and all the tools with him."
"Obviously, that's a yes. Welcome aboard!" Leif says in a friendly voice, giving Harald a hot cup of coffee.
"We should at least ask him for some documents. And we don't have any proof that he truly did make this hammer."
"Of course, we need to add him on the crew list, ask who should we contact should anything happen and all that." He gives her a look that tells her she should be the one to do it. A look that tells her he only listened to what he wanted to hear. Again.
Well, if she asks for papers, she could at least use them to ask around...? Leif's Norwegian military contacts could be reached before they set out, right?
:no: "Do you have any documents with you? And who should we contact in case anything happens to you?" she asks.

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2020, 02:58:42 PM »
:no: "Uhh... I'll ask, but let me have a look, please" she says, getting up and having a look at the hammer. She doesn't try to touch it or to pick it up, who knows what it could have hit... perhaps even a beast or a troll? But from her vague knowledge of what proper tools should look like, she decides it looks solid. And if he brings all the tools necessary... and he is bringing them...
:is: "Leif, he says his name is Harald, he has no recommendations, never worked on a ship..." she starts.
"Obviously, that's a no."
"...and that he doesn't care about payment, made this very well-made hammer, and is bringing the whole forge and all the tools with him."
"Obviously, that's a yes. Welcome aboard!" Leif says in a friendly voice, giving Harald a hot cup of coffee.
"We should at least ask him for some documents. And we don't have any proof that he truly did make this hammer."
"Of course, we need to add him on the crew list, ask who should we contact should anything happen and all that." He gives her a look that tells her she should be the one to do it. A look that tells her he only listened to what he wanted to hear. Again.
Well, if she asks for papers, she could at least use them to ask around...? Leif's Norwegian military contacts could be reached before they set out, right?
:no: "Do you have any documents with you? And who should we contact in case anything happens to you?" she asks.

Harald puts the hammer down, rummages through his pack a bit, and pulls out a battered passport. :no: "I have no living family or friends," he says calmly. "So there is no need to contact anyone."
Astrid arrived on the docks, excitement bubbling in her chest. She could hear the new lands waiting to be explored calling out to her. A smile split on her face so wide it hurt. Unable to suppress it, she hid it by pretending to double-check her bag. As if she hadn't quadruple checked it before she left home, and a few dozen more times on the boat ride here. Looking around, the smell of the sea assaulting her nostrils, she felt a shiver snake along her spine. Gathering up her stuff, she started to walk along the boats docked up, trying to remember the instructions to the expedition office. Another burst of excitement took over her, and she started skipping for a good 3 meters before she realized that it was very unprofessional. She got lost a few times trying to find her way, but her pride would not let her ask for help. When she finally arrived, she knocked three times on the door, placing one hand on the handle to try and steady her nerves. Stupid move. The door opened and she promptly fell inside, her pack falling open, and quite a few cat treats spilling on her. Well, this was embarrassing.

Harald slowly gets to his feet, walks over to the woman, and offers her a hand up.