Author Topic: ✼ Heeded Highbound: Reboot ✼ {RP}  (Read 72609 times)

Kitty

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • blueberry juice
Re: ✼ Heeded Highbound: Reboot ✼ {RP}
« Reply #570 on: November 15, 2019, 02:42:10 PM »

As Runar made his way towards the music and Jack's Haven the music slowly became more and more distinct. He had changed the time from a more somber tone to something more upbeat.

It finally becomes clear that Jack is actually singing along to the tune as well,
"Last thoughts of a life by candlelight,
Halfway, between the black and gray
It's no place for a life to fade away,"

His voice and violin echoed across the bogs and soft earth separating the Haven's and the group of silvery ghosts at the edge of Jack's haven continued to sway and twist in time to the song.

Hmm...
His magic was certainly very interesting.

Rúnar really wanted to ask him some questions, but he'd feel somewhat awkward if he just waltzed in during the concert and started interrogating... The guy clearly wanted some peace. He didn't want to bother, now that he made sure the origin of the music wasn't dangerous.

But what if they need to talk later...? With his broken Norwegian or Axel's translations...

He decided to wait for a few more moments, standing outside the stranger's place. If Jack spots him and doesn't try to talk to him, he'll leave. That sounded reasonable enough.

Native: :hr:
Fluent: :gb: :us: :ba: :rs:
Can kinda understand but not really: :si:
Not really: :de:

Solokov

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #571 on: November 15, 2019, 03:19:19 PM »
Hmm...
His magic was certainly very interesting.

Rúnar really wanted to ask him some questions, but he'd feel somewhat awkward if he just waltzed in during the concert and started interrogating... The guy clearly wanted some peace. He didn't want to bother, now that he made sure the origin of the music wasn't dangerous.

But what if they need to talk later...? With his broken Norwegian or Axel's translations...

He decided to wait for a few more moments, standing outside the stranger's place. If Jack spots him and doesn't try to talk to him, he'll leave. That sounded reasonable enough.

Jack continued his music for some time before finishing up the concert.

After a few moments the silvery outlines of the ghosts faded off into the ether.

He glanced around and noticed Runar there, and just stood there for a bit and fidgeted a little with his violin, not sure what to do.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Kitty

• blueberry juice
« Reply #572 on: November 15, 2019, 04:26:15 PM »
Jack continued his music for some time before finishing up the concert.

After a few moments the silvery outlines of the ghosts faded off into the ether.

He glanced around and noticed Runar there, and just stood there for a bit and fidgeted a little with his violin, not sure what to do.

...oh gods. We're the same.
After just looking at his fidgeting for a moment, Rúnar was certain this man would never start a conversation with anyone.
So this time, he had to act. Otherwise, it would just be even more ridiculously awkward.

"Good evening" he greeted.

Solokov

« Reply #573 on: November 15, 2019, 05:46:44 PM »
...oh gods. We're the same.
After just looking at his fidgeting for a moment, Rúnar was certain this man would never start a conversation with anyone.
So this time, he had to act. Otherwise, it would just be even more ridiculously awkward.

"Good evening" he greeted.

Jack nods silently, "..... You're not here to hit me with pots and pans too right?"

I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.

Kitty

• blueberry juice
« Reply #574 on: November 15, 2019, 05:51:46 PM »
Jack nods silently, "..... You're not here to hit me with pots and pans too right?"

"Nnnnnnnnnnnnno. No. I do not usually do that. No" he said. "I overreacted to Axel's actions and I deeply regret that. I have apologized to him" he informed him. "I have enjoyed your concert. You are a very good violinist" he said, trying to change the subject.

Solokov

« Reply #575 on: November 15, 2019, 06:31:27 PM »
"Nnnnnnnnnnnnno. No. I do not usually do that. No" he said. "I overreacted to Axel's actions and I deeply regret that. I have apologized to him" he informed him. "I have enjoyed your concert. You are a very good violinist" he said, trying to change the subject.

Jack nods quietly. "Thanks.."

Jack tries to come up with something to talk about, and glances about for a bit before seizing on something, "your wards, why do you only use a greatward and no wardnet?"

I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,

Kitty

• blueberry juice
« Reply #576 on: November 15, 2019, 07:03:56 PM »
Jack nods quietly. "Thanks.."

Jack tries to come up with something to talk about, and glances about for a bit before seizing on something, "your wards, why do you only use a greatward and no wardnet?"

"Ah, yes." The reason he came. "We need to talk. I do not understand a single thing you are saying. Are wards the runes that I drew? What is a wardnet? What dangers will await us when we head to the south?"

Solokov

« Reply #577 on: November 15, 2019, 08:24:58 PM »
"Ah, yes." The reason he came. "We need to talk. I do not understand a single thing you are saying. Are wards the runes that I drew? What is a wardnet? What dangers will await us when we head to the south?"

Jack arched an eyebrow, ".... Yes... But no. Not quite..."

He sighed and motioned for Runar to enter his haven and began drawing in the dirt using his violin bow. The first thing he drew was basically the wardings that Runar had painted onto the tank.

"So, a greatward, it more or less acts as your basic protection and pushes most things away. Most towns have a large one build into the town square using paving stones in the correct pattern.... A wardnet... "

He began pulling wooden plates from his pockets and setting them around the large time,

"Does that and pushes off the dark creatures that can still think, like hags, malevolent ghosts and the occasional still thinking kelpie... Most travellers just use a wardnet... It's basically the same magic, it's just when you make the ward plates when making it you also mix in a corresponding herb in the paint and then flow your magic through it while you write it."

He glanced at Runar to make sure he was still following what he had said.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,

Kitty

• blueberry juice
« Reply #578 on: November 16, 2019, 05:03:27 AM »
Jack arched an eyebrow, ".... Yes... But no. Not quite..."

He sighed and motioned for Runar to enter his haven and began drawing in the dirt using his violin bow. The first thing he drew was basically the wardings that Runar had painted onto the tank.

"So, a greatward, it more or less acts as your basic protection and pushes most things away. Most towns have a large one build into the town square using paving stones in the correct pattern.... A wardnet... "

He began pulling wooden plates from his pockets and setting them around the large time,

"Does that and pushes off the dark creatures that can still think, like hags, malevolent ghosts and the occasional still thinking kelpie... Most travelers just use a wardnet... It's basically the same magic, it's just when you make the ward plates when making it you also mix in a corresponding herb in the paint and then flow your magic through it while you write it."

He glanced at Runar to make sure he was still following what he had said.

Rúnar silently observed as he talked, following him into the haven.

"I see" he said. "We use something relatively similar, I suppose. We carve runes into fences. Usually, what you call a greatward is more than enough to keep evil beings away from the group. Why would a wardnet be a necessity? Why is it a better alternative?" he asked. "...and I would also like to know what kelpies and hags are. It appears we use different words for same creatures..."

Solokov

« Reply #579 on: November 16, 2019, 08:27:14 PM »
Rúnar silently observed as he talked, following him into the haven.

"I see" he said. "We use something relatively similar, I suppose. We carve runes into fences. Usually, what you call a greatward is more than enough to keep evil beings away from the group. Why would a wardnet be a necessity? Why is it a better alternative?" he asked. "...and I would also like to know what kelpies and hags are. It appears we use different words for same creatures..."

Jack considered the question for a bit, "Like I said, a greatward only pushes fiends away, the ones that cant think and it also only reaches so far enough... the wardnet goes around that and creates.. well a net of magic around the greatward and act like a...."

He trailed off thinking of the proper word, "...the glass thing that magnifies pictures... it makes the power bigger, and the herbs in the wards on the plates are what push the smarter ones away."

He waited for any followup questions before giving a quick rundown of the infected creatures of the scottish highlands, "Fiends are what we call most animals that are infected and can spread the infection, kelpies are people and animals that have been infected and got changed by it into monsters... hags are.... they're magi that tapped into the dark magics that the the kelpies create... I don't hear the songs of any of them near here though.... you can hear it on the weave of magic...well I can... and in the dream if any are around.... anyway kelpies and hags are usually smarter than fiends and can throw things, and use tools to poke through the magic of the greatward to get at people, the wardnet pushes the effect far enough out that they can't get in."

Jack deigned to not mention that hags can just walk through the magic of a greatward, and that's why a wardnet have nightshade and ground houndstoungue in their ink
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,

Kitty

• blueberry juice
« Reply #580 on: November 17, 2019, 04:39:56 AM »
Jack considered the question for a bit, "Like I said, a greatward only pushes fiends away, the ones that cant think and it also only reaches so far enough... the wardnet goes around that and creates.. well a net of magic around the greatward and act like a...."

He trailed off thinking of the proper word, "...the glass thing that magnifies pictures... it makes the power bigger, and the herbs in the wards on the plates are what push the smarter ones away."

He waited for any followup questions before giving a quick rundown of the infected creatures of the scottish highlands, "Fiends are what we call most animals that are infected and can spread the infection, kelpies are people and animals that have been infected and got changed by it into monsters... hags are.... they're magi that tapped into the dark magics that the the kelpies create... I don't hear the songs of any of them near here though.... you can hear it on the weave of magic...well I can... and in the dream if any are around.... anyway kelpies and hags are usually smarter than fiends and can throw things, and use tools to poke through the magic of the greatward to get at people, the wardnet pushes the effect far enough out that they can't get in."

Jack deigned to not mention that hags can just walk through the magic of a greatward, and that's why a wardnet have nightshade and ground houndstoungue in their ink

"Let us see... That means fiends are... beasts. Kelpies are beasts and trolls. And hags are basically the Finnish kade" he said. "I will assume at least some of these are spirits, but it got lost in translation..." Rúnar mumbled. "Very well. I can guarantee you that all of the things you counted so far, with possible exceptions being hags, can be easily stopped by my runes. Some experiments might be necessary with the spirits, but I do not think a wardnet would be necessary. But, if it would put your mind at ease, I will attempt to create one tomorrow night, after my group stops to rest. I am assuming you will not go with us any further south?"

Nellie McEnt

• Scout
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they/he/it
« Reply #581 on: November 17, 2019, 09:22:29 AM »
Sanni finally made it off to bed, curled in the corner of her bunk.

She opened her eyes in a forest. Darkly wooded, tall trees rising around her as far as she could see. Shafts of golden light threaded through the branches from somewhere high above and traced shifting patterns on the mossy ground. Sanni uncurled herself and sat ponderously for a moment on the banks of the quiet river she knew so well.
Speaks: 🇺🇸/🇬🇧
Learning (and not particularly good at): 🇨🇳, Latin
carpe diem

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Solokov

« Reply #582 on: November 17, 2019, 02:13:17 PM »
"Let us see... That means fiends are... beasts. Kelpies are beasts and trolls. And hags are basically the Finnish kade" he said. "I will assume at least some of these are spirits, but it got lost in translation..." Rúnar mumbled. "Very well. I can guarantee you that all of the things you counted so far, with possible exceptions being hags, can be easily stopped by my runes. Some experiments might be necessary with the spirits, but I do not think a wardnet would be necessary. But, if it would put your mind at ease, I will attempt to create one tomorrow night, after my group stops to rest. I am assuming you will not go with us any further south?"

Jack shrugged and decided not to mention he had mail that he would be taking south of here. "Dunno what a...you called it a kade... is...... what is it? sounds ominous?... mind if I play some? A couple ashrays are back."

He motioned to the edge of the haven where a set of silvery ghosts had formed up at the waters edge and were fidgeting. Unlike the normally black shadowy spectres of the silent world, these ghosts seemed to retain at least some of their humanity, vauge features and the implication of clothing. A faint semblance of who they once were.

I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,

Kitty

• blueberry juice
« Reply #583 on: November 17, 2019, 02:22:59 PM »
Jack shrugged and decided not to mention he had mail that he would be taking south of here. "Dunno what a...you called it a kade... is...... what is it? sounds ominous?... mind if I play some? A couple ashrays are back."

He motioned to the edge of the haven where a set of silvery ghosts had formed up at the waters edge and were fidgeting. Unlike the normally black shadowy spectres of the silent world, these ghosts seemed to retain at least some of their humanity, vauge features and the implication of clothing. A faint semblance of who they once were.

"I am not completely certain what kade are. I heard of them, I have never seen one, and a lot of it probably got lost in the translation. We do not have them in the areas where I served, and what I heard from the Finns was... very poor Swedish, mostly. Evil mages, I assume. I cannot tell you much else" he said. He gave him a nod. "Do not mind me. Go ahead."

Solokov

« Reply #584 on: November 18, 2019, 08:29:00 AM »
"I am not completely certain what kade are. I heard of them, I have never seen one, and a lot of it probably got lost in the translation. We do not have them in the areas where I served, and what I heard from the Finns was... very poor Swedish, mostly. Evil mages, I assume. I cannot tell you much else" he said. He gave him a nod. "Do not mind me. Go ahead."

Jack shrugged and slowly drew his bow across his violin starting up another song, it sounded quit somber, and for a time, he didn't actually sing to the tune, though the two ashrays slowly waltzed to Jack's rendition of the song.

"To ride the storm, to an empire of the clouds, To ride the storm, they climbed aboard their silver ghost..."

I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,