Author Topic: Learning Russian  (Read 22010 times)

Hrollo

• Ranger
Re: Learning Russian
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2017, 08:17:22 PM »
Back when I studied Russian a bit, I made a little cheat sheet for vowel reductions: http://thelegion.free.fr/russianvowels.htm (requires some basic knowledge of Russian pronunciation and/or of IPA to be usable).
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

kuzzzma

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2017, 09:03:24 AM »
Another Russian-native speaker.
Any questions are welcome, I'm also open to chat with anyone wanting to brush-up on their Russian skills.
Native:
Fluent:

Morgan

• Scout
  • aka UrsaMinoris
  • Preferred pronouns: Her/she
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2018, 03:33:37 PM »
Hi, this is a quite dusty thread, but I think it would be the only place for me to ask my question.  :V

My Russian proficiency is still very, very poor, as in I'm still not 100% certain on what sounds all of the letters make. But I'm getting there I swear.

Anyway, for some reason I thought it was a good idea to try and write a Finnish name in (Russian) Cyrillic. (Hint: it was not a good idea) I'm wondering if anyone would be able to lend a hand to see if I got the letter pronunciations and stuff correct. And if not, if you could kindly point me in the right direction  ;D

Spoiler:  the name and stuff • show
The name I'm trying to translate, I guess, is Kirsi Jokinen. Apparently Jokinen is pronounced something like YOH-key-nen (in english sounds).

I came up with Кирси Йохкинен, and I think the first name might be right. I'm nearly 100% sure the last name is not though  :'D
Fluent: :canada: :france:
Learning: :germany: :russia:
Can (mostly) count to ten and say a few words: :southkorea:

my art: instagram.com/the_great_tree_massacre
:chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:
:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Kis

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Ugh
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2018, 04:39:38 PM »
Hi, this is a quite dusty thread, but I think it would be the only place for me to ask my question.  :V

My Russian proficiency is still very, very poor, as in I'm still not 100% certain on what sounds all of the letters make. But I'm getting there I swear.

Anyway, for some reason I thought it was a good idea to try and write a Finnish name in (Russian) Cyrillic. (Hint: it was not a good idea) I'm wondering if anyone would be able to lend a hand to see if I got the letter pronunciations and stuff correct. And if not, if you could kindly point me in the right direction  ;D

The name I'm trying to translate, I guess, is Kirsi Jokinen. Apparently Jokinen is pronounced something like YOH-key-nen (in english sounds).

I came up with Кирси Йохкинен, and I think the first name might be right. I'm nearly 100% sure the last name is not though  :'D

!!!
Actually, you were almost right! The surname would be "Йокинен". Finnish names are usually pretty easily translated, for most cases you can use transliteration
Somehow I became very excited about your progress. You're doing well  :V
Native: :russia:
Somewhat okay: :uk:
Know a few words: :sweden:

Morgan

• Scout
  • aka UrsaMinoris
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2018, 04:50:26 PM »
!!!
Actually, you were almost right! The surname would be "Йокинен". Finnish names are usually pretty easily translated, for most cases you can use transliteration
Somehow I became very excited about your progress. You're doing well  :V

Oh cool! That's the closest I've ever been when sounding something out!  ;D Thank you so much for your help and advice!!!

And thank you again! Sometimes I get sad that I can't understand more Russian than I do. Yesterday I had some customers (I work as a cashier) who were speaking in Russian. I was sad that I couldn't speak to them like I do with my French customers. But I knew that they were speaking Russian! I guess that's a good start! Haha  :'D

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2018, 04:52:46 PM »

I hesitate to have a go, because I'm not sure either.  (But I will.  Take my suggestions with a chunk of salt.)  Russian speakers, do chip in!
I would definitely ditch the x, because the Finnish doesn't have the huff before the к that an x would bring.   
Edit: Kis answered this one: As for the Jo (which would be closer to Yaw than Yoh but it goes by so fast it's hard to detect), you might be right, or it might be Ю (although that's more like Yu than Yaw, I suppose).
I'm also under the impression Kirsi will want a й added to the end as well.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Morgan

• Scout
  • aka UrsaMinoris
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2018, 04:57:12 PM »
I hesitate to have a go, because I'm not sure either.  (But I will.  Take my suggestions with a chunk of salt.)  Russian speakers, do chip in!
I would definitely ditch the x, because the Finnish doesn't have the huff before the к that an x would bring.   
Edit: Kis answered this one: As for the Jo (which would be closer to Yaw than Yoh but it goes by so fast it's hard to detect), you might be right, or it might be Ю (although that's more like Yu than Yaw, I suppose).
I'm also under the impression Kirsi will want a й added to the end as well.

I have been (probably mistakenly) using й at the end like in Артемий/Artemiy as a longer, iiiii sound. If it would be Кирсий I feel like that would be slightly too long of a time on that last sound? Just my thoughts though.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2018, 05:00:16 PM »
I have been (probably mistakenly) using й at the end like in Артемий/Artemiy as a longer, iiiii sound. If it would be Кирсий I feel like that would be slightly too long of a time on that last sound? Just my thoughts though.

I would have thought so too, but I'm going with names like Yuri, which have a similar length in speaking, and do have the й at the end.

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

Morgan

• Scout
  • aka UrsaMinoris
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2018, 05:02:31 PM »
I would have thought so too, but I'm going with names like Yuri, which have a similar length in speaking, and do have the й at the end.

Ah neat so there are examples of this sound (somewhat) being transliterated before

Kis

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Ugh
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2018, 05:40:19 PM »
That feeling when you're not sure if you know your native language anymore...
I wouldn't depend on examples of transliterarion of russian names now. For instance, Юрий can also be written as Yury or Yuriy (which in my opinion is a little bit more correct). I just can't remember any opposing examples so I might be wrong too, but I'll say that you simply don't use й when translating names which end with a single i
Thus, Кирси

Morgan

• Scout
  • aka UrsaMinoris
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2018, 06:56:03 PM »
That feeling when you're not sure if you know your native language anymore...
I wouldn't depend on examples of transliterarion of russian names now. For instance, Юрий can also be written as Yury or Yuriy (which in my opinion is a little bit more correct). I just can't remember any opposing examples so I might be wrong too, but I'll say that you simply don't use й when translating names which end with a single i
Thus, Кирси

Oh don’t worry about that aha I get that feeling basically once a day. I’ll blame it on us being able to understand multiple languages well ;)

That makes sense to me, and I think I will go with that. No offense intended, Wavewright, I’m just more inclined to follow the guidance of a native speaker.

But it’s sort of like the name Bailey in English, where the ey would work similarly to ий. Compare that to umm... Christie. It COULD be shortened to Christi, because that makes the same sound. The и sound. Idk I think I’m rambling at this point haha :V

Kis

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Ugh
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2018, 11:37:37 PM »
Oh don’t worry about that aha I get that feeling basically once a day. I’ll blame it on us being able to understand multiple languages well ;)
Heh :3

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2018, 12:28:59 AM »

That makes sense to me, and I think I will go with that. No offense intended, Wavewright, I’m just more inclined to follow the guidance of a native speaker.

Hey, no offense taken, I totally defer to a native speaker!   I get to learn something as well, which makes this a good day indeed.

Morgan

• Scout
  • aka UrsaMinoris
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2018, 06:02:06 AM »
Hey, no offense taken, I totally defer to a native speaker!   I get to learn something as well, which makes this a good day indeed.

Yay! Learning all around!

So thread is not near as inactive as I expected, can I ask another question, if that’s alright? (Kis you’ve been such a great help! ;D)

This one actually has to do with learning the language haha

Kis

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Ugh
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2018, 04:56:55 PM »
So thread is not near as inactive as I expected, can I ask another question, if that’s alright?

Of course! That's what these threads exist for
(and thank you, I was glad to help)