Poll

Best Start Date for you (Please vote for as many as you'd participate in)

May 15-ish
9 (13.4%)
June 1-ish
13 (19.4%)
June 15-ish
16 (23.9%)
July 1-ish
19 (28.4%)
Later
10 (14.9%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Art Discussion  (Read 62332 times)

Aierdome

• Ranger
  • The Emperor Protects.
Re: Art Critique Thread
« Reply #525 on: December 27, 2016, 07:56:53 AM »
Just wondering, but is there a specific board were I can get feedback on character designs or would I be able to do that here? I'm trying to start a comic and would like some second opinions on some of the art for the characters.

There's the OC Showcase thread in the Personal board, I suppose you could also try there.
When I think of deep psychological insight, I think of three names: Freud; Jung; Grignr.
-----
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Silent

• I don't know how I'm still sane
« Reply #526 on: December 27, 2016, 04:03:45 PM »
thank you.

PickleChip

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • c[]xxx[]:::::::::::::::>
  • Preferred pronouns: all of them, they're all mine now, i stole them
« Reply #527 on: December 31, 2016, 06:02:37 PM »
Thanks for help with my Galaxy guys! I'll post an improved one soon.  Is there a thread for tutorials? If not, does anyone have one for drawing rain?
If I'm both pan and genderfluid, then no matter who I like, it's gay and I think that's beautiful
Fluent: :usa:
Learning: all?
:chap12::book2::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #528 on: January 01, 2017, 12:19:16 AM »
Thanks for help with my Galaxy guys! I'll post an improved one soon.  Is there a thread for tutorials? If not, does anyone have one for drawing rain?

There is a thread for tutorials, in fact. Right over here! I'm not certain, but someone may have posted what you're looking for already. Also, it seems that Minna also made a tutorial about drawing water, including rain. Hope this helps!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Unlos

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #529 on: January 19, 2017, 04:39:43 PM »
Unlos, I don't really have any critiques, those just look pretty. I couldn't say how much they resemble real CT images, so I'll just leave it at that  :)

Thank you! (They don't really look like CT images at all. They're just meant to explain why stuff look like they do)
It's been dormant for a while, but I made progress today! (Ripoff of Minnas tree but hers is so pretty and I want that for more stuff!)
Now, even more incomprehensibly, in norwegian. Hopefully it will be legible - at least when it is displayed in proper size. It's huuge.

Spoiler: show

P__

« Reply #530 on: January 20, 2017, 05:16:34 AM »
Thank you! (They don't really look like CT images at all. They're just meant to explain why stuff look like they do)
It's been dormant for a while, but I made progress today! (Ripoff of Minnas tree but hers is so pretty and I want that for more stuff!)
Now, even more incomprehensibly, in norwegian. Hopefully it will be legible - at least when it is displayed in proper size. It's huuge.

looks good and is legible, but totally not understandable (bar a few words) XD
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
« Reply #531 on: May 02, 2017, 11:00:10 PM »
*cracks knuckles*
Time for some thread necromancy!

I've currently gotten obsessed interested in Mob Psycho 100, and I wanted to draw some art of it in the form of a desktop background. Problem is, I can't seem to get things quite right. Specifically, the general shading and the psychic "aura" don't look right, and I can't figure out how to get the effect to work. Help is greatly appreciated!

Some reference pics, if you haven't watched it (though I heartily recommend you do!)

:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #532 on: May 02, 2017, 11:38:05 PM »
I feel like maybe part of the problem is that it's usually against a solid, dark, coordinating background? But I have a pretty limited sample size of what it's supposed to look like, so
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #533 on: May 03, 2017, 04:39:55 AM »
Ana Nymus, if you're working in Photoshop, try this:
1. make a new layer on top of everything and set it to "linear light".
2. get a big, soft, round brush and set it at about 30% flow. Select a light, saturated blue and brush along the edges of glowing objects. This achieves glow. You can play around with the brush size and opacity until you get what you want (I find that a really big brush at low opacity works best).

You may want to try moving the glow layer under the character if it gets overpowering, and adding a bluish cel-shaded glow around its contours instead (kinda like you already did for the character's hair, but use a slightly bluer color).

And some bonus tip on shading metallic surfaces, though you're doing a good job already:

1. never color things plain grey unless you're entirely working in black and white or some other restrictive color scheme, it just looks dead and unrealistic. Light bounces around a lot, and objects always "borrow" some of each other's colors irl. This is especially true for reflective surfaces. A good place to start is pick a color that's prominent in your background (let's say purple here) and desaturate it ALMOST completely. Use that for your grey. (If you color pick the greys in the spoon from the first ref image you linked, you'll see it's actually very desaturated green.)

2. Don't be afraid to add bright spots and dark reflections with a hard-edged brush even on rounded objects. It makes it more realistic.

3. Use a full range of (coloured) grey, going all the way to white and black or almost-black, to suggest clean, new, polished metal.

4. When drawing objects you actually have around, like cutlery, it really helps to keep one next to you and actually look at it. We think we know what things look like but that's hilariously false, even for people who draw every day xD
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 04:52:05 AM by Sc0ut »

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
« Reply #534 on: May 03, 2017, 11:32:32 AM »
Thank you for the advice!

Noodles: I'm not exactly sure what you mean? It seems to work against a variety of backgrounds. But yeah, sample size is limited, sorry for that.

Sc0ut: Thanks for the tips! I'm not working in photoshop, but the program I have has similar settings that I can play with. And the desaturated color is something I hadn't thought of for the spoons and such. I wish I could get some silverware out and have an actual, real-life reference, but everything I have right now is plastic! I've been trying to work from stock photos.

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

AquaAurion

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #535 on: June 02, 2017, 08:57:41 AM »
Um, hi again. I would really appreciate some feedback on my drawing. I tried to rework the things I didn't like and I think it looks better now, but I would really appreciate a second opinion.

Spoiler: old ver • show

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3

Rhynerd

• Ranger
  • Positively Rhynerdy!
« Reply #536 on: June 27, 2017, 04:02:11 PM »
I've been trying to so a somewhat silly drawing of a Hoppip wearing a party hat and using a party blower, but I'm a bit stuck currently, mostly because I'm not sure with the direction I should take with the last part of this little critter.

Here's my progress so far:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17:
This fellow here Is responsible for my current avatar.

AquaAurion

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #537 on: June 27, 2017, 05:12:57 PM »
I've been trying to so a somewhat silly drawing of a Hoppip wearing a party hat and using a party blower, but I'm a bit stuck currently, mostly because I'm not sure with the direction I should take with the last part of this little critter.

It's so cute!
Are you thinking of adding more details to the pokémon or maybe some kind of background?  If you want to make it more festive, maybe you can add some party streamers or balloons?

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3

Rhynerd

• Ranger
  • Positively Rhynerdy!
« Reply #538 on: June 27, 2017, 09:55:43 PM »
First, I need to finish the hoppip out of it's two sets of leaves, I've only done one. I'll worry about the background (which will at least have some confetti lying around the hoppip) once I can find a good direction to draw that set of leaves.
If you look closely, you can see some ribbon-like erased marks of ideas I've rejected.
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17:
This fellow here Is responsible for my current avatar.

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #539 on: June 29, 2017, 03:14:29 AM »
Um, hi again. I would really appreciate some feedback on my drawing. I tried to rework the things I didn't like and I think it looks better now, but I would really appreciate a second opinion.

Spoiler: old ver • show

Aah I forgot to comment on this but I like the reworked version best, it's super beautiful!

Hm, the leaves are attached to the hoppip at the top of it's head, right where the party hat is placed, aren't they? Maybe make some gimmick with the last leaf rotating on top?