Author Topic: WordNerding  (Read 31803 times)

Scots

• Super-Newbie
  • Dreamer of giant dreams
  • Preferred pronouns: He/him you
Re: WordNerding
« Reply #135 on: August 20, 2016, 03:04:49 PM »
I know this thread is probably dead, but I'll go ahead and throw my 2 cents in.

I really like the Portuguese words dezenove and agradável, which mean 19 and nice, respectively.

I also like selvfolgelig and hyggelig, Norwegian for "of course" and nice/nice to meet you. Norwegian has a lot of words i think are cool, like appelsiner, motbydelig, and ikke.

I mean, jeg liker ikke appelsiner is just enjoyable å snakke.
Fluent: :usa: :uk: (I can do the accent)
Took a little in High School: :france:
Can read decently, speak ok, and understand some: :brazil:

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
« Reply #136 on: August 31, 2016, 09:41:53 PM »
I actually have several lists of words I like. XD I don't know if anyone said these before, but here's some words I like:

Petrichor - the smell of the rain hitting the ground after a long period of hot, dry weather
Apricity - the warmth of sunlight in winter
Defenestrate - throw someone out of a window
Oneironaut - a person who travels through dreams
Valediction - the act of saying farewell
Yerd - to beat an object with a stick
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :canada: :usa: :australia: :uk:
Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #137 on: August 31, 2016, 11:37:29 PM »

Oh, I never knew there was a word for that! Though it's a feeling I know quite well ^-^
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
« Reply #138 on: September 01, 2016, 01:26:21 AM »
I actually have several lists of words I like. XD I don't know if anyone said these before, but here's some words I like:

Petrichor - the smell of the rain hitting the ground after a long period of hot, dry weather

Wow, I never knew any of these before! Cool that there's a word for that smell, I love petrichor.
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
« Reply #139 on: September 18, 2016, 03:07:09 PM »
Oh, I never knew there was a word for that! Though it's a feeling I know quite well ^-^
It's always such a nice feeling. ^-^
Wow, I never knew any of these before! Cool that there's a word for that smell, I love petrichor.
Eee, so glad I got to share words with y'all! You want to know any more weird words, I could prolly help. ;D (I'm such a nerd, I have so many more written down in a huge assortment of lists. I actually have a friend who writes songs, and he's asked me several times for words with specific meanings and sounds to fit in his songs.)

Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Mersey

• Tumblr
  • Artist and Archivist in the Deepest South
« Reply #140 on: September 27, 2016, 08:29:30 PM »

Petrichor is such a good word and sensation! <3

My fave from English is "Yips" meaning little tremors or shakes, often in the hands. I'm kinda clumsy, so often at home I'd blame my accidents on a case of the yips, haha.

My love for Russian words knows no bounds though, because they LOVE to take English words and russify them, with really fun to say pronunciations! (Hamburger turns into Gambuyrgyer, Henna turns into Hkkhhna, essay is tyeext, so good.)

As a word on its own merits though, copok meaning 40 is such a cool Russian word because it doesn't match the numbering pattern at all and its origins are unknown. I really wonder where it came from and why!
fluent in

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #141 on: September 27, 2016, 09:12:04 PM »
Petrichor is such a good word and sensation! <3

My fave from English is "Yips" meaning little tremors or shakes, often in the hands. I'm kinda clumsy, so often at home I'd blame my accidents on a case of the yips, haha.

My love for Russian words knows no bounds though, because they LOVE to take English words and russify them, with really fun to say pronunciations! (Hamburger turns into Gambuyrgyer, Henna turns into Hkkhhna, essay is tyeext, so good.)

As a word on its own merits though, copok meaning 40 is such a cool Russian word because it doesn't match the numbering pattern at all and its origins are unknown. I really wonder where it came from and why!
All of those are super cool, eee!
Also, phantasmagorical is currently my favorite English word. It means appearing deceptive, or dreamlike, like something from a fantasy.  :))
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain:

Jerzy_S

« Reply #142 on: September 28, 2016, 01:00:00 PM »
My favourite in English is transcendent. There are two words, however, I love more. They are: szeleścić, polish for "to rustle" or "to sough", and öldungadeildarþingmaður, icelandic for "senator" (FunFact: I can pronounce it).

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
« Reply #143 on: November 18, 2016, 09:42:02 PM »
There are two words, however, I love more. They are: szeleścić, polish for "to rustle" or "to sough", and öldungadeildarþingmaður, icelandic for "senator" (FunFact: I can pronounce it).
Now I'm really curious as to how you actually pronounce both of those. XD

I find the word picayune to be really fun to say. It means petty, worthless, or "an insignificant object or person." Alternatively, it means "a small coin of little value, especially a 5-cent piece." I think it originates from French?

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #144 on: November 20, 2016, 11:09:31 AM »
I find the word picayune to be really fun to say. It means petty, worthless, or "an insignificant object or person." Alternatively, it means "a small coin of little value, especially a 5-cent piece." I think it originates from French?
And here I thought - when visiting New Orleans for a conference and seeing their local newspaper - that it'ld be related to the better-known regional terminology. Yes, a french name for a small coin. French actually took it from Provençal, in turn, which is why it didn't look continental French to me, but there is a lot of overlap in practical usage around la Provence today; e.g., one of my France-based relatives lives in a street called petit-Juas ("small garden"), where the first part is French but the second Provençal. (It'ld be petit jardin in 100% French.)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #145 on: November 20, 2016, 11:42:08 AM »
Came across this one in a biology textbook: ubiquitylation

What it means is this: the process of attaching special molecules (ubiquitin) to a protein to mark it for destruction.

Mostly, I just thought it looked cool!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
« Reply #146 on: November 20, 2016, 02:36:04 PM »
Came across this one in a biology textbook: ubiquitylation

What it means is this: the process of attaching special molecules (ubiquitin) to a protein to mark it for destruction.

Mostly, I just thought it looked cool!
I can agree with you there, that is one cool-looking word!

Doldrum

• Tumblr
« Reply #147 on: November 21, 2016, 04:30:52 PM »
They aren't pretty words, but i think gubbe and gumma are really cute. Mosty because they can be used either towards young children, or elders. Nothing inbetween    :))

Antillanka

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: her, thank you ;)
« Reply #148 on: November 21, 2016, 09:30:19 PM »
They aren't pretty words, but i think gubbe and gumma are really cute. Mosty because they can be used either towards young children, or elders. Nothing inbetween    :))

If you use it on someone not properly, they get offended? Like calling "señora" a teenager XD?
Iguana with issues

Speaks: :chile:('cause that sh*t ain't :spain: XD); :usa:

Alkia

• Scout
  • any pronouns
« Reply #149 on: November 04, 2019, 06:17:24 PM »
This is quite the old thread, but I thought I’d add in my favorite words and hope someone new comes along and continues this awesome conversation!

I also love Petrichor, and my top 3 words (with my own definitions) are:
- abubble: to be overly enthusiastic or exited
- defenestration: to throw someone or something out a window
- (technically 2 words) gefräßige stille: German phrase for that silence that comes about when everyone is busy eating
- koselig: Norwegian word for cosy, but it’s also more than that (it’s hard to explain) 
Knows:🇬🇧🇩🇪
Learning:🇳🇴, 🇨🇳
Wants to learn:🇨🇮(Gaelic), 🇫🇷

:A2chap04: :A2chap05: