Author Topic: WordNerding  (Read 32065 times)

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
Re: WordNerding
« Reply #120 on: October 01, 2015, 07:45:24 PM »
Do autocorrects count? 

But of course, because they are so no-account!   8)  And thanks for sharing that little jewel.  ;D

I've always referred to them as "Spellcheck Gotchas"--a correctly spelled word in a completely wrong place--and specifically warned my Staff College students about catching them before their boss did.  ::)

According to an online dictionary, transpass means "to pass over".
*imagines teenagers floating over houses*

I can't seem to find any WordNerding of my own at the moment, but when I do I'll be back!

I was counting that. ;)

Oh oh I have one! The phonic ambiguity of J has always made me a little miffed, especially when you see clearly Scandinavian last names pronounced with a g sound instead.
"Honest as a Yo block" instead of "Honest as a Joe block"?   Johannson Blocks (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauge_block) were machined to standards-grade tolerances, and used among other things as a bench-test device for measuring calipers, micrometers, and the like.

*Reads other contributors' posts with great interest and delight.
This is where I wimp out and decide to surrender early, instead of trying to acknowledge and address every contribution.  If y'all are having that much fun, my work here is ...beginning? ???  Eh, that works. ^-^
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 08:28:11 PM by DaveBro (Phasing out "ReturnOf") »
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

ryagami

• Scout
  • *mov lik snek*
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #121 on: October 01, 2015, 08:35:34 PM »
Hmmm...

Bookkeeping cheers thee too, fellow Minnion? Keep expressing gleeful feelings!
Native - :serbia:

Fluent - :uk: / :usa:

Moderate? - :sweden:  :italy:

Bits and pieces - :turkey:

atm? -              ^

Want to learn - pretty much anything, but mostly :latvia:, :greece:, Georgian, Modern Standard Arabic, Kalaallisut

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
« Reply #122 on: October 01, 2015, 09:11:28 PM »
Hmmm...

Bookkeeping cheers thee too, fellow Minnion? Keep expressing gleeful feelings!

Oh yes. ^-^  I think of it as "The Country of Letters."  The Professora and I were in Boston for the American Literature Association conference one year (my Faculty Spouse gig), and stopped in at the Boston Public Library to look and admire.  Now most American libraries stretch their budgets by having periodic book sales, usually run by official volunteers called Friends of the Library.  Some libraries always have this room open, and old books for sale, so we went to the information desk to inquire.  The room wasn't open...but the other "customer" at the information desk was the Friends' chairman.  Recognizing a pair of kindred spirits, he graciously let us browse the officially closed stacks while he did some work in his office.  We got 5 books :D, warm, fuzzy, feelings ^-^, and the Library got $10.  I keep the chairman's business card in my flute case as a memento.  (It's handy for aligning my headjoint; and because, memories  ;)  )
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  

ryagami

• Scout
  • *mov lik snek*
« Reply #123 on: October 01, 2015, 09:58:17 PM »
Oh yes. ^-^  I think of it as "The Country of Letters."  The Professora and I were in Boston for the American Literature Association conference one year (my Faculty Spouse gig), and stopped in at the Boston Public Library to look and admire.  Now most American libraries stretch their budgets by having periodic book sales, usually run by official volunteers called Friends of the Library.  Some libraries always have this room open, and old books for sale, so we went to the information desk to inquire.  The room wasn't open...but the other "customer" at the information desk was the Friends' chairman.  Recognizing a pair of kindred spirits, he graciously let us browse the officially closed stacks while he did some work in his office.  We got 5 books :D, warm, fuzzy, feelings ^-^, and the Library got $10.  I keep the chairman's business card in my flute case as a memento.  (It's handy for aligning my headjoint; and because, memories  ;)  )

Haha, that's awesome :D Libraries and bookshops give me so much joy *u*

By the way, I made that post with the intent of it completely comprising words with double letters in them. :D

atm? -              ^

Want to learn - pretty much anything, but mostly :latvia:, :greece:, Georgian, Modern Standard Arabic, Kalaallisut

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #124 on: October 01, 2015, 11:38:40 PM »
Oh! I saw a poster today that said "Committee yourself!"
Ok, so the poster actually was about committees, but I enjoyed the purposeful play on words ^-^
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
« Reply #125 on: October 02, 2015, 04:47:20 PM »
Haha, that's awesome :D Libraries and bookshops give me so much joy *u*

By the way, I made that post with the intent of it completely comprising words with double letters in them. :D

*John Wayne voice:
Well, ya got me fair and square, there, pilgrim. :D
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #126 on: November 17, 2015, 10:06:43 PM »
Something that always makes me really excited is when people use words like "lest" and "thus" and "shan't" and "ought" because they are falling out of use and are starting to sound more formal. I, no joke, fangirled the other day when someone used shan't on skype  ::)

* Feartheviolas petitions to bring back the old words
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

ryagami

• Scout
  • *mov lik snek*
« Reply #127 on: November 17, 2015, 10:35:30 PM »
Ah yes, we've had discussions about these on the chatz many times. I see "thus" and "ought" relatively often, I think, but "lest" and "shan't" sure are rare. I have a whole list of words that have lost almost all their use, but should come back, like...
whence, thence, hence (in it's locative use), whither, hither, thither, wherefore, herefor(e), all of these + -soever, heretofore, nary, eke [cause it sounds so cool (and is one syllable shorter than "also"... >_>)], ...

Also, maybe we should start using the word "irregardless" with the sense "with regards to". It could, irregarless of the possible amount of our use of it, change its meaning to what it /should/ mean. \o/

atm? -              ^

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #128 on: November 17, 2015, 10:47:01 PM »
Ah yes, we've had discussions about these on the chatz many times. I see "thus" and "ought" relatively often, I think, but "lest" and "shan't" sure are rare. I have a whole list of words that have lost almost all their use, but should come back, like...
whence, thence, hence (in it's locative use), whither, hither, thither, wherefore, herefor(e), all of these + -soever, heretofore, nary, eke [cause it sounds so cool (and is one syllable shorter than "also"... >_>)], ...

Also, maybe we should start using the word "irregardless" with the sense "with regards to". It could, irregarless of the possible amount of our use of it, change its meaning to what it /should/ mean. \o/

OHMYGOD THITHER. YOU DON'T EVEN UNDERSTAND HOW MUCH I LOVE THE WORD THITHER. LET'S ALL USE THITHER MORE PLEASE. Ahem. Sorry. I'm just. a little passionate about the word thither.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

ryagami

• Scout
  • *mov lik snek*
« Reply #129 on: November 18, 2015, 06:00:13 AM »
OHMYGOD THITHER. YOU DON'T EVEN UNDERSTAND HOW MUCH I LOVE THE WORD THITHER. LET'S ALL USE THITHER MORE PLEASE. Ahem. Sorry. I'm just. a little passionate about the word thither.

I have nary a word more to put on the list that I can remember... I'm sure many more words should find their way thither, though, so irregardless of that, I will keep searching to get more whencever I can!

atm? -              ^

Double H

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #130 on: November 21, 2015, 10:39:56 AM »
I actually have a little txt file where I recently started to collect some icelandic words that I really like. I thought I had another one for english words but I can't find it so I might be misremembering.
Anyway the words:

Kvikindi - A word meaning a creature. Usually one that is unwanted or not liked.

Flotholt - A flotation device of any kind (a float/pontoon (pontoon is a pretty great word too)). I like the way it sounds.

Krútt - Someone or some animal that is cute. An inanimate thing that is cute would be referred to as being krúttlegt (like a krútt). --

Svepperóní - A portmanteau of the words sveppir (mushrooms) and pepperóní ((guess  ::))). I first read it in a little news story about some guy that didn't like the name Dominos Pizza had for their mushroom and pepperoni pizza (PS2) so he contacted them and asked them to change it to svepperóní. They did.

Ellinaðra - A slang and also a portmanteau meaning an electric mobility scooter. This time of the words elli meaning old age, and the word skellinaðra meaning dirtbike. Skellinaðra is actually also a portmanteau of the words skellir meaning slams or loud noises, and the word naðra meaning snake.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 10:45:01 AM by Double H »
Pretentious? Moi?

ryagami

• Scout
  • *mov lik snek*
« Reply #131 on: November 21, 2015, 02:58:37 PM »
Ellinaðra - A slang and also a portmanteau meaning an electric mobility scooter. This time of the words elli meaning old age, and the word skellinaðra meaning dirtbike. Skellinaðra is actually also a portmanteau of the words skellir meaning slams or loud noises, and the word naðra meaning snake.

Well, the second one would not be called a portmanteau, but rather a compound word.

But either way, the way Icelandic forms all of its vocabulary has always fascinated me. *-* Computer? I think you meant numberwitch...

atm? -              ^

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #132 on: November 21, 2015, 04:57:57 PM »
But either way, the way Icelandic forms all of its vocabulary has always fascinated me. *-* Computer? I think you meant numberwitch...

Numberprophetess, actually (tala + völva = tölva). Numphotess?
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

ryagami

• Scout
  • *mov lik snek*
« Reply #133 on: November 21, 2015, 07:33:18 PM »
Numberprophetess, actually (tala + völva = tölva). Numphotess?

Our Dictatrix Nimphy is a computer? :O

atm? -              ^

Double H

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #134 on: November 21, 2015, 07:38:25 PM »
Well, the second one would not be called a portmanteau, but rather a compound word.

Oh right. I was just thinking about portmanteaus and therefore everything was portmanteaus. :p

And Laufey's right völva is more a seeress/prophetess than a witch. At least in this context.
Pretentious? Moi?