Author Topic: Archive of Our Own usage and tips  (Read 3598 times)

RanVor

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: he/it/that thing
Re: Archive of Our Own usage and tips
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2022, 04:43:42 PM »
Oh, yeah, I was hit with that yesterday. Thanks for the advice!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2022, 04:44:27 PM »
Thanks for that, yuu.  I got quite a few of those among my old works - I was quite relieved to note that helpful spam button on the comments.
(While I was there, I read the fic.  Dayum, some of those were actually pretty good, if I do say so myself.)
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2023, 09:43:13 AM »
Is anyone else seeing strange comments in AO3?  They're not exactly spam, but I don't believe they're legitimate either.

Over the past several weeks, I've gotten a number of comments with the following characteristics:

1) The commenter is a real AO3 author, but their name is not linked.  I've checked them with AO3's search function.
2) The commenter has no apparent connection to the SSSS fandom.
3) The comment is very nice, very polite, but completely generic.
4) There are no links in the comment and nothing trying to direct you elsewhere.

I got two today.  Here's one: "The way you handled the themes and messages in this fic was thought-provoking. It added an extra layer of depth to the story, making it both entertaining and meaningful. Kudos to you!"

This comment is on "Turning Fourteen", which is a short humorous story (339 words) about Mikkel and Michael making gunpowder for fireworks for their fourteenth birthday.  I don't think there were a lot of themes and messages in that.

The only explanation for this that I've come up with is that someone is training an AI by having it make comments and seeing who responds.  After the first two, I've stopped responding to these comments.

Edited to add: Here's another of these comments on "Turning Fourteen": "I can't get over how seamlessly you integrated the new elements into the existing canon. The way you expanded upon the lore and added your own twists was absolutely genius. You've created a fanfic that feels like a natural extension of the original story. Simply amazing!" 

I don't think any real person would write this about a story about Mikkel and Michael making gunpowder.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 09:48:00 AM by lwise »

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2023, 10:01:43 AM »
I haven't received any personally, but I've heard about this, so I went digging.

These are comments are from bots. The biggest hint for me is that the usernames are real Ao3 usernames - there is no way to "accidentally" post logged out like that.

Here's a post I found on tumblr about it; the description matches your issue precisely, so it's definitely not just you receiving these:

https://beemovieerotica.tumblr.com/post/721683287951769600/psa-bot-comments-are-taking-over-ao3

And some speculation on Dreamwidth about what the purpose of these comments are:
https://fail-fandomanon.dreamwidth.org/601725.html?thread=3688237693#cmt3688237693

Basically it's to break up the pattern when scraping so that the bot is less likely to get blocked as a bot.

So, I suggest deleting them. Unfortunately, the only way to stop comments like these altogether is to archive-lock your work.

If you want to report these as spam: The easiest way to do this is go to the comment thread page for the comment (archiveofourown.org/comment/long string of numbers), then hit the spam button. Or you can scroll to the bottom of that page and click "Policy Questions and Abuse Reports" to fill out a full report describing the problem, if you want to report on the problem more broadly. (If you're reporting as spam, best to leave the comment up instead of deleting it.)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 10:20:27 AM by Yuuago »
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2023, 10:11:17 AM »
Ah, thank you.  The comments are generated by an AI, of course.  My explanation (that someone's training an AI) is so much more interesting than that bots are just doing this to break up their pattern of behavior.  Reality is so boring.

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2023, 02:21:24 PM »
Here's yet another comment on a 339-word humorous fic about Mikkel and Michael making gunpowder:

This fanfic is an emotional rollercoaster in the best way possible. I laughed, I cried, and I couldn't put it down until I reached the end. You have a gift for capturing the essence of human emotions.

I find myself giggling over this comment.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2023, 02:39:54 PM »
Interesting irony how the bot wants to praise you for how many feelings it gets from your text :)
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2023, 02:43:40 PM »
I assume it cried over the destroyed chicken coop.  Or perhaps the possibility that the boys might not get to enjoy their birthday party.

This fic takes a page and a third to print if you print from AO3, but my original document fits nicely on a single page.  The bot is a slooow reader if it couldn't put the thing down until it finished.

I may as well respond to these comments with humor.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2023, 02:33:55 AM »
Butbut... are they wrong?

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2023, 09:47:40 AM »
Your comment was great.  I tossed off a little humorous story in honor of Mikkel's birthday, and here you found all these themes in it!

Glass

• Preferred pronouns: He/him
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2023, 10:39:11 AM »
Well that certainly explains some things. I think 'Down Deep' is a few things but 'a warm hug' is a particularly strange description.
I'm TheGlass on A03
glass01 on Discord
And Glass#0263 on Revolt

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2023, 02:30:19 AM »
Your comment was great.  I tossed off a little humorous story in honor of Mikkel's birthday, and here you found all these themes in it!

*takes bow*  And thank you for providing me with the impetus to write more than I have in months.  Granted, it was in the service of a s***post, but I'll take it.