Author Topic: aRTD General Discussion Thread  (Read 10906 times)

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
aRTD General Discussion Thread
« on: August 02, 2017, 03:39:15 PM »
A place to talk about anything relating to aRTD. Fic ideas, Cosplay photos, storyline analysis, etc are all welcome.

I figured this would be a good idea, because given how little traffic this board gets, a general thread is a better way to keep it tidy than making a bunch of little threads that would each get little use.

Enjoy! :)

tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Daiseerose

Re: aRTD General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 01:10:46 AM »
at church  I saw this dude that looked a lot like Joona it was scary! he had longer hair then joona did but still looked a lot alike

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 02:02:33 AM »
Does the Finnish belief system about the tripartite soul extend to animals?  Would Ville have a tripartite soul once he became human?  Would his luonto automatically be some form of canid?
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 09:59:14 AM »
Does the Finnish belief system about the tripartite soul extend to animals?  Would Ville have a tripartite soul once he became human?  Would his luonto automatically be some form of canid?
Considering that even the Finnish beliefs about humans vary considerably (with exact region, time, and apparently also how much the believers trusted the person recording it for posterity), I doubt that there'll be a definitive answer for you. Throwing in the specifically Minna-esque tone, I'ld guess that Kokko "turning Ville into a human" implies the full deal and if only there are SSSS-style animal-shaped luontos in the aRTD-verse, Ville's should most definitely be a Finnish Spitz, possibly even more of a "Ville himself" than Vóvoff is a mere extension of Reynir.

(I don't remember aRTD showing luontos outright, as opposed to nondescript "spirits animals", "human souls", and some soul-ish presences of normal animals (vipers, Murunen). Also, luontos having an animal shape seems to be sort of a minority belief within Finnish mythology.)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 12:23:42 PM »
I have a new desktop picture for winter.... :D

tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 07:05:19 PM »
Lovely!

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

Morgan

• Scout
  • aka UrsaMinoris
  • Preferred pronouns: Her/she
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 03:21:10 PM »
I know I already dropped this in the SSSS Discord, and I'm not sure if anyone noticed it here. Figured it wouldn't hurt to point it out anyway. Check out Hannu's hat on page 16.  Look familiar? ;D
Fluent: :canada: :france:
Learning: :germany: :russia:
Can (mostly) count to ten and say a few words: :southkorea:

my art: instagram.com/the_great_tree_massacre
:chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:
:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 04:29:43 PM »
Check out Hannu's hat on page 16.  Look familiar? ;D
Sure, it's a dreamworld version of the one he wears in reality, with minor decoration added, just like Reynirs coat does. O:-) >:D
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Caol

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 03:47:46 AM »
Am super late to the party, but I was wondering if anyone knows if there's still a way to buy the mini-comics? It might be just me but the link seems to be broken??

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 09:58:41 AM »
Go to the aRTD site and click on store. They are available there for $2.00 each.
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:

Oripoke

• Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 04:53:49 PM »
Am super late to the party, but I was wondering if anyone knows if there's still a way to buy the mini-comics? It might be just me but the link seems to be broken??
If the link from the aRTD site still doesn't work, Minna re-uploaded them to her Gumroad: https://gumroad.com/l/SptE

Alkia

• Scout
  • any pronouns
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2019, 06:59:03 PM »
Sooo I fiNALLY read aRTD and just finished it and IT WAS REALLY GOOD!! In comparison to SSSS, it kinda shows this was Minna’s first comic, but the story was such a fun ride through Finnish mythology!!!! I’m still coming to grips with Ville turning human in the end (the human character design is so true to his being, though!) and I’m sad it’s over now ;-;. Overall, though, totally worth the two days spent bingeing it, and an under-appreciated comic, I think.
Knows:🇬🇧🇩🇪
Learning:🇳🇴, 🇨🇳
Wants to learn:🇨🇮(Gaelic), 🇫🇷

:A2chap04: :A2chap05:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2019, 10:40:01 PM »
In some ways, I like ARtD better. It's obviously a lot more compact, being a complete story from the start. But I quite like the art style, still. For all that Minna's improved many parts of her style, I really am not fond of her endlessly blue palettes, including whole chapters of nothing but blues. 
But back to what I do love, is her renditions of animals!  That's the very best part of this comic.

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2019, 11:14:46 PM »
Sooo I fiNALLY read aRTD and just finished it and IT WAS REALLY GOOD!! In comparison to SSSS, it kinda shows this was Minna’s first comic, but the story was such a fun ride through Finnish mythology!!!! I’m still coming to grips with Ville turning human in the end (the human character design is so true to his being, though!) and I’m sad it’s over now ;-;. Overall, though, totally worth the two days spent bingeing it, and an under-appreciated comic, I think.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. : D aRTD is such a charming comic.

I feel like it takes a couple of chapters to get off the ground, but once the story is established, it's good fun. And Ville is so adorable, both before being human-ified and after. xD Even when he's a human he's still the Best Doggy.

And yessss like Wave mentioned, the art...!!
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2019, 12:59:11 AM »
I actually read aRTD before I read SSSS, since the prologue of SSSS kinda threw me off for a bit. I really enjoyed aRTD, and the amusing dynamic between Hannu and Ville, but I think I prefer SSSS’s art style.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport