Author Topic: Podcasts!  (Read 7234 times)

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
Podcasts!
« on: March 02, 2017, 07:41:54 PM »
Hello! I am currently addicted to all of the horror and scifi fiction podcasts, I know there is a thread for Night Vale but I wanted to make a more generalized thread. Right now I am listening to We're Alive, which is a Zombie Apocalypse story. Some of my favourites are The Bright Sessions, The Deep Vault, Alice Isn't Dead, and Life After. Also Radiolab (that one isn't fictional, but it's still just as amazing).

I know some of you others listen to podcasts, so please come talk about your favourites, least favourites, new discoveries, and what you're currently binge listening to :D
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

PickleChip

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • c[]xxx[]:::::::::::::::>
  • Preferred pronouns: all of them, they're all mine now, i stole them
Re: Podcasts!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 08:34:28 PM »
Alright, anyone who likes learning at all, these are my two favorite Podcasts.

When I was home schooled throughout grade school, I actualy taught myself history with this one: http://www.missedinhistory.com/podcasts

And this is my favorite, though I personally like the older ones: http://www.stuffyoushouldknow.com/podcasts
They are in English, by the way. Hope you like! ^_^
If I'm both pan and genderfluid, then no matter who I like, it's gay and I think that's beautiful
Fluent: :usa:
Learning: all?
:chap12::book2::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 10:55:56 PM »
Good thread idea!

Lately I've been listening to Scared Yet, a podcast about horror, common tropes in horror, and writing horror fiction (often the tips can be applied to writing in general though) Each episode is about 40min long, and it's hosted by two of my favourite comic artists, Kris Straub of Broodhollow, and Abby Howard of The Last Halloween.

It's spooky, interesting, and pretty cool! :)
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 11:56:38 PM »
I love podcasts, but I limit myself to nonfiction ones because I already have too many books and videos in my "to-consume" stack and online comics bookmarked.  I enjoy listening while I do chores at home, or on transit. 

I like Freakonomics, The Hidden Brain, and Fresh Air, plus various National Public Radio news feeds.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 12:07:10 AM »
My favourites at the moment are...

Futility Closet - Strange and intriguing stories from history
Oh No Ross and Carrie - Good natured but sceptical investigations of the paranormal and pseudoscientific
Still Buffering - The two older Smirl sisters discussing teen life with their still teenage younger sister
Sawbones - All the weird and stupid ways we've tried to do medicine throughout history
My Brother My Brother and Me - It's supposed to be an advice show, but basically it's just the three McElroy brothers talking entertaining and bizarre garbage for an hour a week
Risk - A NSFW storytelling podcast. Stories range from heartbreaking to hilarious.
I Love Green Guide Letters - Supposedly reviews the 'letters to the editor' from Melbourne's TV and Radio guide. Actually just a rotating bunch of comedians talking rubbish with an occasional letter being read in a ridiculous voice.

They are all much better than my descriptions suggest  :))
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 02:18:08 AM »
Wyrm: Sawbones is interesting.

Luth: I'll pass this on to a young friend who aspires to be a horror writer. I think he will enjoy it.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Rhynerd

• Ranger
  • Positively Rhynerdy!
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 04:30:14 AM »
The only podcast I really listen to is The Great Detectives of Old Time Radio. That being said, I listen to it almost all the time while I drive.
It's a collection of episodes of radio shows from the golden age of radio, namely ones involving mysteries. There's Dragnet, Yours Truly Johnny Dollar, three flavors of Michael Shayne, Richard Diamond, The Saint, Sherlock Holmes, and whatever else has episodes not under copyright, and a good sound quality to them.
At some point either before or after these episodes play, the host of the show will tell you a little about the episodes, and sometimes the series. After the episode he'll give some of his thoughts on the episode and respond to listener comments and messages.
Through this show, you get to listen to the classics of a different age, and get to learn about the old radio show industry.
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17:
This fellow here Is responsible for my current avatar.

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 08:59:57 AM »
Hohohoh! This thread was created just in time! ;D I love listening to podcasts but was about to run out of listening materials  :o

Of the ones not mentioned yet I really think that Minnions would get a real kick out of these two

Myths and Legends - Myths, legends and folklore from all over the world. They're very well researched and the story telling style is delightful (and wonderfully snarky when it merits it). You can listen to the whole batch (and there are quite a lot by now), or to whichever mythologies or locations suit your fancy. He has already retold a few Nordic stories in case anyone would be interested......

Limetown - Ten years ago, everyone living in Limetown, Tennessee vanished without a trace, never to be seen or heard from again. In the seven part story, a public radio host tries to answer the question of what happened. There's great mystery, suspense, and a subtle creepiness throughout the whole thing, and although I wanted to pace myself, once I'd started I just couldn't stop! The same was true of every friend I'd introduced to it! If you've a spare 3-4 hours it is definitely worth a listen, but maybe not just before going to bed  O_O

Luth - I've been meaning to give that one a listen to for a while now considering how much I enjoy both comics :) Guess now's as good a time as any to give it a shot!
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

Athena

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 01:48:54 PM »
Luth: I'll pass this on to a young friend who aspires to be a horror writer. I think he will enjoy it.

I hope he finds it interesting, I know I did! :)

Luth - I've been meaning to give that one a listen to for a while now considering how much I enjoy both comics :) Guess now's as good a time as any to give it a shot!

Ah, I'm glad I could inspire you to check it out! I hope you enjoy it.

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 11:34:30 AM »

Limetown - Ten years ago, everyone living in Limetown, Tennessee vanished without a trace, never to be seen or heard from again. In the seven part story, a public radio host tries to answer the question of what happened. There's great mystery, suspense, and a subtle creepiness throughout the whole thing, and although I wanted to pace myself, once I'd started I just couldn't stop! The same was true of every friend I'd introduced to it! If you've a spare 3-4 hours it is definitely worth a listen, but maybe not just before going to bed  O_O

I second this! I loved this podcast. If you liked it I also recommend The Black Tapes and Tanis. They are done in a similar format and also deal with creepy mysteries.

This week I started listening to Lore. It explains the myths, origins, inspirations, and such around different superstitions and horror stories. It's soooooo interesting and also creepy. (Also he includes some Norse mythology such as the elves in Iceland)
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 07:31:45 PM »

Myths and Legends - Myths, legends and folklore from all over the world. They're very well researched and the story telling style is delightful (and wonderfully snarky when it merits it). You can listen to the whole batch (and there are quite a lot by now), or to whichever mythologies or locations suit your fancy. He has already retold a few Nordic stories in case anyone would be interested......

Aaaaah! You were right! This is sooooo good.

*Mumbles something about having listened to 7 days and 10 hours of podcast material in the last month....*
I don't have a problem what are you talking about.

Athena

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 07:39:07 PM »
I started listening to Welcome To Night Vale today, and I love it so far!

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 10:37:09 PM »

Of course I went and listened to all of the Norse mythology ones first. Catching up on the rest, but so far the Norse myths are by far my favorites. (Especially anything and everything with Thor and Loki together.)

This is also exactly what I needed since I always used to read on my commute, but I'm running out of books and shipping to China is probably pretty expensive... Hm, maybe it's time to invest in that Kindle app I downloaded...
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 10:52:56 PM »

Aaaaah! You were right! This is sooooo good.

*Mumbles something about having listened to 7 days and 10 hours of podcast material in the last month....*
I don't have a problem what are you talking about.

*mumbles something about doing pretty much the exact same thing when I started listening too*

Of course I went and listened to all of the Norse mythology ones first. Catching up on the rest, but so far the Norse myths are by far my favorites. (Especially anything and everything with Thor and Loki together.)

This is also exactly what I needed since I always used to read on my commute, but I'm running out of books and shipping to China is probably pretty expensive... Hm, maybe it's time to invest in that Kindle app I downloaded...

Hahah, the Thor and Loki stories are hilarious (and brilliant of course). I really enjoyed the Japanese ones, but that's not really surprising considering where I am :P Seeing as you're in China, you may be interested to hear that he's going to be doing "Journey to the West" sometime soon-ish. My friend and I messaged him on twitter to recommend it and he said he was in the process of researching it already! I am very, very, excited about that!!!!
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 11:50:11 PM »
*mumbles something about doing pretty much the exact same thing when I started listening too*

Hahah, the Thor and Loki stories are hilarious (and brilliant of course). I really enjoyed the Japanese ones, but that's not really surprising considering where I am :P Seeing as you're in China, you may be interested to hear that he's going to be doing "Journey to the West" sometime soon-ish. My friend and I messaged him on twitter to recommend it and he said he was in the process of researching it already! I am very, very, excited about that!!!!

Well, I already listened to the story of Mulan, and Disney, why couldn't you have given us this version? (Minus the footbinding, though, because that's kind of really barbaric.)

Pretty much everything I know about Journey to the West comes from reading the Saiyuki manga. I imagine that the original story is very, very different. ::)
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18: