Author Topic: Key posts by Minna through the comments and on twitch  (Read 106153 times)

Elleth

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Sgru'd
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
Re: Archive - Key posts by Minna through the comments
« Reply #135 on: July 16, 2017, 05:46:01 AM »
That page also says:

Whether we've seen speaking animals is a bit questionable -- is Sleipnope an animal? -- but we've certainly seen quite a bit of magic.

I have no idea how to even classify Sleipnope, beyond "aw hell no", but Reynir's fylgja qualifies as both in combination, I suppose? At least to the same degree that the aRTD animal spirits count as animals.
Á tarë quildë, á harë tínë.

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

:germany: (native) :uk: (fluent) :vaticancity: (had to) :spain: (okay) :denmark: (learning) :france: (learning)

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #136 on: July 16, 2017, 07:26:35 AM »
I have no idea how to even classify Sleipnope, beyond "aw hell no", but Reynir's fylgja qualifies as both in combination, I suppose? At least to the same degree that the aRTD animal spirits count as animals.

Yeah... at this point I no longer believe any generalities Minna says about her comic ;D Or at least, none of the older comments. Either the comic strayed a lot from the initial concept, or she's intentionally trying to mislead us.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #137 on: July 16, 2017, 11:11:29 PM »
Yeah... at this point I no longer believe any generalities Minna says about her comic ;D Or at least, none of the older comments. Either the comic strayed a lot from the initial concept, or she's intentionally trying to mislead us.

I vote for "strayed a lot" vs. "intentionally misleading us."  While an author always has the right to avoid spoilers, I honestly don't think Minna would intentionally deceive her readers.  It's much more common for authors to discover that their characters "have a mind of their own" -- and further, for a work of art initially conceived of as a light-hearted romp to develop deeper and even tragic elements.  Look at the tone in "The Hobbit" vs. "The Lord of the Rings," for example. 

With that said, it's very bittersweet to see both Minna's and readers' cheerful early comments about the likely directions of the story, given what we know now.  And I have to say, the tonal whiplash, contrasting the light-hearted goofiness of early chapters (especially Ch. 4's shenanigans at the Oresund base) to what happens later, is still difficult for me to take. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #138 on: July 17, 2017, 09:34:51 AM »
the tonal whiplash, contrasting the light-hearted goofiness of early chapters (especially Ch. 4's shenanigans at the Oresund base) to what happens later, is still difficult for me to take.

But actual people's lives, in any real world, contain both light-hearted goofiness and tragedy.

Why shouldn't Minna include both?

P__

« Reply #139 on: July 17, 2017, 12:02:59 PM »
Why shouldn't Minna include both?
stories generally don't include everything about character's lives (case in point: bodily functions). As for the types of events and emotions, it generally depends on the tone the author wants to give to their story : horror stories for instance tend to be light on the goofines aspect, while kids' fairy-tales usually don't have anyone die (The Bad Guy is an obvious exception, but even then, it's rarely very horrible). SSSS has goone from "light-hearted exploration" (albeit in a horror setting) tone to the very different "main characters commit suicide" tone. I can see how it can come as a bit of a shock
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #140 on: July 17, 2017, 01:33:38 PM »
I guess I read a lot of things that have some of both elements.

I'm entirely uninterested in pure horror; or for that matter in the sort of thriller or detective story or sf story or whatever in which the only thing that happens is dreadful stuff and/or dreadful people.

But I'm also usually not particularly interested in stories in which everything goes perfectly smoothly.

I want to read about interesting people who lead interesting lives. And that means that there are good things in their lives as well as bad; but that the bad things are real, and really need to be dealt with.

Even most of the books I liked as a small child were like that.

ETA: and we must have read different fairy stories. People died all over the place in the ones I know. Absolutely terrible things happened to the bad guys in many of the ones I read, and often to some of the good guys as well. Sometimes the protagonist doesn't even come out all right. But then, I didn't grow up with the Disney version of, say, Little Mermaid.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 01:38:20 PM by thorny »

P__

« Reply #141 on: July 17, 2017, 05:40:43 PM »
But then, I didn't grow up with the Disney version of, say, Little Mermaid.
That might be why XD
I distinctly remember a version (not of the Little Mermaid) where the Little Red Riding Hood and the Grandmother both get eaten, but then get cut out of the Big Bad Wolf's belly - both alive and well - by a Woodsman. And the Wolf doesn't even die from that! (it does die afterwards from rocks-in-the-stomach related problems, though, but no-one cares because it's the Bad Guy). Those (and many all-audiences animated movies for instance, such as the Disneys you mentioned) are the kinds of kid's stories I'm talking about, not the scare-you-so-you-don't-misbehave kinds of fairytales ;)

Of course, a bit of both makes for good stories, but the proportions can vary wildly from one tale to the other. Within a single story (like we've seen here), I don't think it's very often that there's such a big change.

in other news, we're straying a bit far from the "key posts by Minna" topic, may I suggest moving this to a different thread if the discussion goes on longer / once it dies down?
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Talimee

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #142 on: January 05, 2018, 03:58:55 PM »
Two remarks of Minna regarding future adventures of the Crew, both done on page 840 (online)

Mr-Plinkett: How many adventures do you have planned so far? Like number wise.

Minna: A second adventure is fairly well plotted out, and a third one is very loosely planned. That's a lot of years to go, so things can change and I might even come up with more story after that. But three is what I've been somewhat aiming for.

==> Does this mean that character arcs are going to be extended over the span of three adventures?

Waveright62: Getting in on the question bandwagon, if I may? Will Tuuri's character description be updated at some point? Or is it being left so not to be a spoiler for new readers?

Minna: It'll be left as is, for the spoiler reasons. When the next adventure starts I'll probably split the site into two sections; the current characters page will stay as it is, and the new part will have its own updated characters page.

==> Does this mean that there are significant changes in the crew during the next adventure?
[22:31] <@amity> And they care about only two things: Emil/Lalli fanfic, and chewing bubblegum.
[22:31] <@amity> And the word is, they're all out of bubblegum.

Survived:
:chap5::chap6::chap7: :chap20:
:chap8::chap9::chap10:
:chap11::chap12::chap13:
:chap14::chap15::chap16:
:chap17::chap18::chap19:

Imogen

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #143 on: February 08, 2018, 10:11:46 AM »
Hi, someone in the comments from one of the latest pages said that Minna said that Lalli is in Emil's dreamspace because they're soulmates; I was wondering if anyone had a link or a quote from her from when she said this? I've looked on her twitter and on a lot of the comments from previous pages but I can't find anything :(

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #144 on: February 08, 2018, 11:35:12 AM »
Page 379, August 27, 2015 or thereabouts. In Minna's notes just under the comic. I can't do links, but the page should be easy enough to find. Also, welcome!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 11:37:46 AM by Róisín »
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Imogen

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #145 on: February 08, 2018, 11:45:15 AM »
Page 379, August 27, 2015 or thereabouts. In Minna's notes just under the comic. I can't do links, but the page should be easy enough to find. Also, welcome!

Thank you!! :D

Windfighter

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #146 on: February 08, 2018, 02:58:07 PM »

It doesnt say that the soulmate-thing is why Lalli ended up in Emils dreamspace though, which the question was about??? Or is this me reading stuff too literally and not understanding what was actually meant?
Have we actually gotten a confirmation about why Lalli ended up there or is everything just fantheories at this point? (Ive personally only seen the fantheories so if someone could point out a confirmation Id be very happy <3)
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #147 on: February 08, 2018, 06:40:37 PM »
Hi, someone in the comments from one of the latest pages said that Minna said that Lalli is in Emil's dreamspace because they're soulmates; I was wondering if anyone had a link or a quote from her from when she said this? I've looked on her twitter and on a lot of the comments from previous pages but I can't find anything :(

I think the person was just inferring from Minna calling them soulmates at a much earlier point in the story, rather than quoting an "official" explanation for the dreamspace situation. I looked through Minna's comments from the last few months and there doesn't seem to be anything that discusses this. You can see for yourself if you want: https://disqus.com/by/minnasundberg/
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 06:42:27 PM by Sc0ut »

Imogen

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #148 on: February 09, 2018, 04:51:37 AM »
Yeah, sorry for the confusion, people were discussing the theory based on the quote and i was just looking for the quote. Minna hasn't said anything about why Lalli is in Emil's head, I think we have to figure it out because Lalli doesn't know why either and even if they could ask Onni, I doubt he'd know either tbh.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #149 on: June 20, 2018, 07:12:17 PM »
21 June 2018:
"The next chapter will be the longest one we've had in quite a while, and I'm going to make it great. Because not only will it be long, it's also the... final...chapter... of this adventure. That's right. I've mentioned it on twitter before I think, but now you all know. BUT NO PANIC! The key word is "this adventure, there will be a second grand SSSS adventure coming. I'm already busy plotting it out in my head, and it'll be fantastic. So let's just enjoy what's to come these next few months, and then we can all become excited about what's after that."
:lalli: :tuuri: :emil: :sigrun: :mikkel: :reynir:
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior