Author Topic: The Video Games Thread  (Read 144982 times)

MR_PLINKETT

Re: The Video Games Thread
« Reply #645 on: January 27, 2017, 11:31:12 PM »
If anyone has not bought resident evil VII I'd highly recommend it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 11:40:03 PM by MR_PLINKETT »

PaperArtillery

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Riflekorporal 1. klasse Johansen
« Reply #646 on: January 28, 2017, 03:47:02 AM »
If anyone has not bought resident evil VII I'd highly recommend it.

If I thought my computer had any hope of running it, I would, because I've heard very good things from my local friends.
Eg fekk min siste ordre i frå høgaste befal og han skreik / 170 gå å sjå om det er klart!

:us: EN :de: DE :no: NO :ru: RU :il: JI

:artd::book1+:
:book2::book3::book4:

Jethan

• Ranger
  • Lurker and Forum Gamer
« Reply #647 on: January 29, 2017, 04:08:57 AM »
Hmmm...Video games...I've been trying to play through Skyward Sword again, got past a hard part finally (Trials), and now I keep failing at defeating a boss.  Much frustration.
An innate goofball who wanted to be elegant and composed.  That ain't happening.

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
« Reply #648 on: January 31, 2017, 05:35:06 PM »
My older brother bought me a functioning mouse for my birthday, so now I can finally not terrorize myself by attempting to play everything using a trackpad! The only condition was that I have to buy Overwatch, as if I wasn't going to as soon as I can. I haven't been able to because school's been hectic, but that should be done now with midterms over so yay! Then we will almost have enough family members to make a whole team!
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :canada: :usa: :australia: :uk:
Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Fauna

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #649 on: January 31, 2017, 06:17:20 PM »
I want to pick up Brütal Legend for the PC soon. Is anyone here still playing it? I haven't done a multiplayer battle in literally forever.

IKEA

« Reply #650 on: February 23, 2017, 12:44:09 AM »
I played a little game called Katawa Shoujo over the last few weeks.

Plot:
Japanese high-school student Hisao Nakai suffers a heart attack and is diagnosed with the heart condition arrythmia. Because this could prove life-threatening in an ordinary environment, he is transferred to a special school for the disabled to finish out his senior year. While there, he strikes up a budding romance with one of his classmates. Which one depends on the player's choices, and each girl has not only a very different storyline, but a different writer. All of them, however, serve to hammer home a message.

The Message:
In a nutshell, the message of Katawa Shoujo is this: Too often in society, people who have disabilities are treated as either freaks or as poor little helpless things who need to be "fixed." In reality though, they have exactly the same hopes, dreams, fears for the future and even character flaws as anybody else. I can't remember the last time I played a game that had a message at all, let alone such a great and important one.

Characters
Speaking of characters, they are where KS really shines. Almost all of them besides Hisao have learned to cope with their disability in one way or another, either by working around it or by saying "screw it, I'm living my life anyway." The local track star, Emi, has no legs but tsught herself to run on prosthetics. A girl named Rin is a painter despite being born armless; she simply holds the brush between her toes. All of them are extremely well fleshed out beyond simply "the blind girl," "the deaf girl" et cetera.

Gameplay:
There isn't any, really. KS is a "visual novel," meaning that it consists mostly of reading text and making choices every so often which determine which branch of the story the player will follow. Essentially, a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book with visuals and background music. The art is overall very good, and the music is memorable.

Overall Verdict:
Play it. IT'S FREE. Fantastic characters, phenomenal writing, and a heartwarming message about empathy. Plus IT'S FREE.
CAVEAT: There is a small amount of sex in this game. It is handled quite tastefully for the most part, and if you don't like it you can censor it in the Options menu, but be aware it is there.

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #651 on: February 23, 2017, 01:41:24 AM »
Just finished another play through of Simogo's Year Walk, (it's becoming an annual thing) and wow, every once in a while I seem to forget how powerful that game is. If you haven't heard of it, it's in the psychological/existential horror/puzzle genre, and is honestly my favourite game. It's creepy, dark, thought-provoking, based on Swedish folklore, and has beautiful art style and really well made puzzles. (Also I don't want to give too much away but it's pretty meta and you have to play it a few times to get the true ending. Very well done, Simogo.)

It's the kind of puzzle game that you'll need a pad of paper to take notes with, and will leave you curiously searching for more for hours afterward.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 01:44:04 AM by Luth Nightbreeze »
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #652 on: February 23, 2017, 07:58:53 AM »
IKEA > I've played Katawa Shoujo some years ago, went through all the storylines, really great game, much better than what I expected.

Luth Nightbreeze > that sounds like an interesting game, I'm adding it to my wishlist.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #653 on: March 02, 2017, 12:41:23 PM »
Got Fallout New Vegas. Modded it. Currently trying to get all the companions together for a Deathclaw hunt at Quarry Junction.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Basse

• Scout
  • I don't know what I'm doing!
« Reply #654 on: March 02, 2017, 12:55:11 PM »
Got Fallout New Vegas. Modded it. Currently trying to get all the companions together for a Deathclaw hunt at Quarry Junction.
Deathclaw hunt?? You're a madman!
Native: :sweden:
:chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
:book3:

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
« Reply #655 on: March 02, 2017, 12:59:47 PM »

I'm sure Sigrun would approve! JUST A NORMAL TUESDAY

*battlecry from the distance*
 :))
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #656 on: March 02, 2017, 01:12:13 PM »

Let me reiterate- ALL the companions. Mods.
So, the Deathclaws are being attacked by, in no particular order:
-An NCR elite sniper with Ranger gear and an AM rifle
-A ghoul vaquero with absurdly powerful handguns
-A schizophrenic Super Mutant with a BFS
-A robe-wearing lesbian with a gauntlet that fires electrical bursts on contact
-An Enclave eyebot that provides theme music and lasers
-A former Enclave member with plasma tech
-A robo-dog
-An alcoholic caravan leader with an automatic shotgun
-And the motherducking Courier, who has pretty much obliterated the Legion West of the River, ditto the Powder Gangers, and the Fiends.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Basse

• Scout
« Reply #657 on: March 02, 2017, 01:28:53 PM »
I wish you luck with that and if you're successful I hear there's a Deacthclaw cave somewhere with a Legendary Deathclaw in there.
:chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Kelpie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • formerly known as Jhev
« Reply #658 on: March 02, 2017, 02:02:49 PM »
Let me reiterate- ALL the companions. Mods.
So, the Deathclaws are being attacked by, in no particular order:
-An NCR elite sniper with Ranger gear and an AM rifle
-A ghoul vaquero with absurdly powerful handguns
-A schizophrenic Super Mutant with a BFS
-A robe-wearing lesbian with a gauntlet that fires electrical bursts on contact
-An Enclave eyebot that provides theme music and lasers
-A former Enclave member with plasma tech
-A robo-dog
-An alcoholic caravan leader with an automatic shotgun
-And the motherf***ing Courier, who has pretty much obliterated the Legion West of the River, ditto the Powder Gangers, and the Fiends.
This sounds amazing and makes me wish I had it on PC instead of console.
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Fluent :usa:
Learning :germany:
Can count in :japan:
Actually learned a lot of in elementary school, but can now only remember how to decline verbs :vaticancity:
Maybe some day :norway:

Basse

• Scout
« Reply #659 on: March 02, 2017, 03:34:32 PM »
This sounds amazing and makes me wish I had it on PC instead of console.
Just think about the amount of loot they can carry afterwards too :'D