Author Topic: Forum suddenly on black background -- what did I do? (SOLVED)  (Read 1601 times)

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
Hi,

I refreshed a page and am suddenly seeing a black background with white type. I don't like this -- what did I do and how can I undo it?

ETA oh yes also lots of purple. I like purple but I don't like trying to read purple type on black background!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 06:00:15 PM by Feartheviolas »

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Forum suddenly on black background -- what did I do?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 09:02:09 PM »
Wow, I just found a bunch of settings I didn't know existed.  I was able to duplicate the effect by going into my 'Forum Profile' menu, choosing 'Look and Layout' from the sidebar, and choosing the option to (change) my 'Current Theme.'  One of the theme choices was called 'The Grey,' which when previewed looked a lot like what you described.
Now - how did you do that accidentally?  No clue, not a one.
BUt that would be where you go to change it back, anyway.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

thorny

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 10:12:24 PM »
Thanks.

After considerable hunting around I managed to get the menu that included 'look and layout' to show up -- it wasn't visible at all at first, but while making notes for you on what I could see instead (which didn't seem to include any sidebars) I noticed a double left arrow up near the top of the forum profile page, clicked that, and that sidebar appeared.

Once I got into 'look and layout' the themes told me I was in the board default, but in the night variant. I tried previewing the day variant and that worked OK on the preview, but when I tried to set it to actually use the day variant it kept switching me back to the night variant. I scrolled down the page and looked at some of the others (the 'gray' looked to me nothing like the version I kept getting stuck with -- were you maybe looking at a night variant of that?) and at the bottom of the page there was SSSS Variant which was also set to dark. I set it to light and clicked to use that, and it's OK now.

I also have no idea how I could have done that by accident. I wasn't on my profile page at all when it happened. The board default version says "your theme will change along with the administrators' settings and the board you are viewing" -- is it possible an administrator did something that caused this?

In any case, it seems to be all right now. Thanks again.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 10:25:59 PM »
Thanks.

After considerable hunting around I managed to get the menu that included 'look and layout' to show up -- it wasn't visible at all at first, but while making notes for you on what I could see instead (which didn't seem to include any sidebars) I noticed a double left arrow up near the top of the forum profile page, clicked that, and that sidebar appeared.

Once I got into 'look and layout' the themes told me I was in the board default, but in the night variant. I tried previewing the day variant and that worked OK on the preview, but when I tried to set it to actually use the day variant it kept switching me back to the night variant. I scrolled down the page and looked at some of the others (the 'gray' looked to me nothing like the version I kept getting stuck with -- were you maybe looking at a night variant of that?) and at the bottom of the page there was SSSS Variant which was also set to dark. I set it to light and clicked to use that, and it's OK now.

I also have no idea how I could have done that by accident. I wasn't on my profile page at all when it happened. The board default version says "your theme will change along with the administrators' settings and the board you are viewing" -- is it possible an administrator did something that caused this?

In any case, it seems to be all right now. Thanks again.

There is a little moon in the top right corner of the site next to the let it snow button, that turns on and off night mode. I would go back to the original format and then just click the little moon in the corner, that will fix it. Not all of the changes we've made to the site function the same way in all the other themes.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

thorny

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 01:39:08 AM »
Aha, you've got it!

I can't find any "let it snow" button (there is one for "shrink or expand header" but what that seems to do is to make the box saying Hello thorny etc. appear and disappear); but in the upper right corner just above the search box there is indeed a nearly invisible moon, and if I hover the mouse over it, it says "toggle night mode". And I certainly could have clicked on that by accident.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 02:08:43 AM »
The more you know...all this time I thought the little moon indicated whether the Forum time was in nighttime or not.  (Seriosuly, I'm embarrassed, but that's truly what I thought.)  Thnaks 'viola!
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior