Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 389965 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #2655 on: August 25, 2017, 06:42:35 PM »
Okay, so what is Lalli doing? Unless he can unleash an attack far more powerful than anything we've seen from him before, it'll be pretty ineffective against a giant. The intention seem to be a shield, but how long could that last? I guess a good explosive thrown inside the Giants mouth could do some work?

"How are you less weak?" plays in my head.  This is a very different foe, but I suspect Lalli has levelled up somewhat.  But you're right, and I am very curious to see where this goes.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Keeper

• Ranger
  • Child of the Sun
« Reply #2656 on: August 25, 2017, 07:46:22 PM »
"How are you less weak?" plays in my head.  This is a very different foe, but I suspect Lalli has levelled up somewhat.  But you're right, and I am very curious to see where this goes.

Interesting you should say that, since my first thought was that what Lalli seems to be doing looks a lot like what he did with his knife while fighting Sleipnope.
:chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :book4:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Mark my words, it's not quite what you thought.

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #2657 on: September 01, 2017, 08:12:08 AM »
Now I am even more worried about that single line of prints with the wheelbarrow in Reynir's vision.

Beautifully drawn page. But a very unnerving way to go into the chapter break.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2658 on: September 01, 2017, 06:55:16 PM »
Now I am even more worried about that single line of prints with the wheelbarrow in Reynir's vision.

Beautifully drawn page. But a very unnerving way to go into the chapter break.

I suspect hope the new chapter will open with seeing what was going on with Sigrun, Mikkel and Reynir after the split.  As much as I want to see how Penelope Pitstop Emil & Lalli get out of this predicament, I think we need to see the other half first.  I don't believe that the story will diverge into two streams here, a la The Lord of the Rings.

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #2659 on: September 01, 2017, 07:22:27 PM »
I suspect hope the new chapter will open with seeing what was going on with Sigrun, Mikkel and Reynir after the split.  As much as I want to see how Penelope Pitstop Emil & Lalli get out of this predicament, I think we need to see the other half first.  I don't believe that the story will diverge into two streams here, a la The Lord of the Rings.

All good as long as we get to see how Emil and Lalli get out of this, eventually. Minna has skipped scenes that people really wanted to see before, and a chapter break usually means a time skip too, so I'm a bit worried. The boys sure are in an interesting situation right now! "Doomed" is the word that comes to mind, especially when I look at that dramatic composition, but... let's go for "challenging" instead.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #2660 on: September 05, 2017, 08:09:47 PM »
All good as long as we get to see how Emil and Lalli get out of this, eventually. Minna has skipped scenes that people really wanted to see before, and a chapter break usually means a time skip too, so I'm a bit worried. The boys sure are in an interesting situation right now! "Doomed" is the word that comes to mind, especially when I look at that dramatic composition, but... let's go for "challenging" instead.

I wonder when, if ever, we'll see the cast actually processing Tuuri's fate.  We've certainly seen Lalli grieving, and can well imagine Onni's reaction -- but we've only seen distant shots of the rest of the expedition at the bonfire.  Emil presumably knows what happened to her, but he's clearly got more urgent issues right now in-story than discussing any feelings of loss, regret, fears, fond memories, possibly even guilt or anger, etc. etc.  That doesn't mean he and the rest don't have those feelings!  And that's what I hope to see in SSSS.  I'd be disappointed if our next non-emergency view of the cast showed them just moving on with their quest, never uttering a word about their missing comrade. 

Moreover, I assume most organizations where a member dies or is badly hurt do some kind of audit to figure out how that happened and whether that casualty could have been, or others could in the future be, prevented.  But then, the Cat-Tank Expedition doesn't always seem to run on logic...
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #2661 on: September 05, 2017, 09:25:38 PM »
I wonder when, if ever, we'll see the cast actually processing Tuuri's fate. 

T H I S. I'm actually kinda disappointed by the lack of response beyond everyone looking sad.

I hope they talk and show some introspection soon. Its whats kind of been disappointing me lately.

Mentha_spicata

• Tumblr
« Reply #2662 on: September 06, 2017, 01:37:29 AM »
T H I S. I'm actually kinda disappointed by the lack of response beyond everyone looking sad.

I hope they talk and show some introspection soon.

You know, going emotionally numb in first moments of mourning (and I mean undefined moments, could be hours or weeks, you name it) is certainly A reaction, not only useful from storytelling perspective, as it keeps the plot going, but a natural and common one at that. I trust Minna, she definately did not  write this all in just for the sake of drama.
Evaluating characters' reactions when we are shown one page a day can be very misleading, as the pace of the story is so different from what the audience percives.

My wonderings go more into the realm of who and when will start being vocal about the situation. I silently hope for Sigrun (give the redhead some character development!), her position as a leader should come with some responsibilities.
Though I wouldn't dream of a proper audit, not yet.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 04:10:53 AM by Mentha_spicata »
Native: :poland:
Fluent: :uk:
Getting better: :russia: :france: :vaticancity:
Bits and pieces: :germany:
Passive use only: :italy: :sweden:
Dreams about: :sign: :iceland:
:artd: :)
---
And there was silence all around! The emptiness reigning forever!
Why do you mock that emptiness although it doesn’t mock you ever?

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #2663 on: September 06, 2017, 05:49:46 AM »
Mentha, good points. And yeah, happens in the real world too. I know that of my own knowledge. But if you fall apart in a crisis situation, even when doing so would be justified, you may not make it out of that crisis situation.

I would actually expect that reaction of 'Can't deal with it now, have to keep going' to be commoner in the Minnaverse than here, where often there wouldn't be time to deal with, say, the loss of one's parent/child/village/significant other, because if you stop to wail and tear your hair, you and anyone depending on you are going to die as well.

Both immediate debriefing and the overt expression of grief may not happen in a crisis situation. Might be better for the participants if they could, but I don't really see how that could work here.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

thorny

« Reply #2664 on: September 08, 2017, 03:20:43 PM »
OK, judging by that cover, at least they got off the ice floe alive somehow. Wonder whether we'll find out how?

I also wonder whether that fallen tree, if that's what it is, can be turned into heat and light for the night.

And, if so, whether Emil will burn the place down around them doing it.

And whether whoever left those dishes on the table is still around, in some unpleasant form . . .

Elleth

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Sgru'd
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #2665 on: September 08, 2017, 05:16:12 PM »
Mentha, good points. And yeah, happens in the real world too. I know that of my own knowledge. But if you fall apart in a crisis situation, even when doing so would be justified, you may not make it out of that crisis situation.

I would actually expect that reaction of 'Can't deal with it now, have to keep going' to be commoner in the Minnaverse than here, where often there wouldn't be time to deal with, say, the loss of one's parent/child/village/significant other, because if you stop to wail and tear your hair, you and anyone depending on you are going to die as well.

Both immediate debriefing and the overt expression of grief may not happen in a crisis situation. Might be better for the participants if they could, but I don't really see how that could work here.

The 'can't deal with it now, have to keep going' is a very good point - I'm pretty sure by now that this must have been part of what messed up all three surviving Hotakainens into their respective patterns - Onni most of all; as the oldest who must have carried the brunt of responsibility. And we have it on authority from Minna that (mental) health is not necessarily considered a pressing matter as long as people can do their jobs. (Notice how "honest human error" and "learn to use your words, youngsters" were all the responses we saw to the casualties after Lalli's report.

As for our team - they certainly have to keep moving. They still have the task of bringing Reynir home alive; this isn't the time to let their guard down or stop to grieve, and now there's the matter of Emil and Lalli being missing or dead (for all the other part of the team can know) to keep them occupied on top of that. I'm curious whether Sigrun is going to decide to go on or attempt a rescue/recovery mission. But either way - if they make it to the pickup spot in time, I suspect sitting idle either there or later on the ship is going to bring tensions to the surface because these things will want out in one way or another.
Á tarë quildë, á harë tínë.

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

:germany: (native) :uk: (fluent) :vaticancity: (had to) :spain: (okay) :denmark: (learning) :france: (learning)

thorny

« Reply #2666 on: September 12, 2017, 05:15:55 PM »
I do hope Reynir's in that tent.

(and hey, everybody, the chapter break's over -- )

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2667 on: September 12, 2017, 08:33:45 PM »
I do hope Reynir's in that tent.

(and hey, everybody, the chapter break's over -- )

Sorta kinda, still have to suppress the f5 urge when the chapter begins on a *Tuesday* and there is nothing on a Wednesday, not even a CoH update.  (And can't try out the mock game at work, drat the luck)

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #2668 on: September 13, 2017, 02:59:17 AM »
My current position about Reynir is that his physical body is in the tent, but his spirit self could be anywhere (yes, simply stalking him has has grown quite boring over the summer, I'm speculating a lot to compensate).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 03:18:48 AM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

ZanarNaryon

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #2669 on: September 15, 2017, 02:09:09 AM »
It's nice to see Sigrun starting to consider Reynir a useful asset
Native: :norway:
Fluent: :england:
Understands: :sweden: :denmark:
Unpracticed: :iceland:
Working on it: :germany:
A few assorted sentences in Quenya
:chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05: :A2chap06: :A2chap07: