Author Topic: Cosplay (non-SSSS)  (Read 46264 times)

GeiYin

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • A cosmonaut... someday
Re: Cosplay (non-SSSS)
« Reply #315 on: April 23, 2017, 05:04:57 PM »
faea do whatever you want and whatever your heart wish you to do untill it's forbidden by the law!
Cosplay is very different in different countries and mentalities (i can definitely say it after being a cosplayer for 7 years already) as long as you like what you do, when you playing a character or a role, it's a cosplay. You can have very difficult costume or you can have no costume at all (just ordinary clothes) but it's all depends on what you feel when you're doing it.
The second thing is to find the same people who're thinking the same way as you.
As i said there're way too many people who're interested in cosplay and all of them are looking for different things in it.
So, just find your way.

Of and talking about original costumes. I'm gonna make the dress using only my own spent 600 subway tickets cards, i hope to show it in september, wish me luck!
That's all because i didn't win the competition (of original cosplay costumes) the last year, i was very disapointead Q_Q
Here's the video if you want...
Spoiler: show
Native:  :russia:
Can read:  :uk: / :usa:
Dream goal: :germany:

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18:

Cosplaying, drawing bonfires, writing in ruSSSSian

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #316 on: April 24, 2017, 08:35:36 PM »
So I'm here for a bit of advice as to how to go about making a cosplay. I want to cosplay Slipstream Tracer from Overwatch. And I have no clue of how to start making the patterns. Image below

any advice?
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #317 on: April 24, 2017, 09:33:33 PM »
Hi DancingRanger!
I can't give much advice about making the armor-y bits or the pistols, but a great way to go for clothing is to find an existing clothing pattern that's similar and modify it to suit your needs. You can modify thrift store clothes, too, but if you know how to sew, patterns give you more flexibility, in my opinion.
Also, it looks like there are some pieces on that costume that might be tricky to scale properly, like the wing-ish extensions on her arms. In the spoiler I've put a technique I found that is really useful for measuring the size of costume pieces relative to yourself.
Sorry I can't give any specific advice, but I hope this helps!

:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #318 on: April 25, 2017, 08:04:54 AM »
That's actually very clever. I hadn't thought about doing that before.

Thank you for that Ana.
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Olga Veresk

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Il n'y a que le premier pas qui coûte
« Reply #319 on: July 01, 2017, 05:16:43 PM »
Recently our kimono club made Pokemon GO Leaders Cosplay!  :D  It was inspires by Kade pic including OC Noire by Surfaçage

So here we are:

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 05:07:11 PM by Olga Veresk »
Native: :russia: Fluent: Intermediate: :france: Try to learn: :denmark: :japan:

Survived: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::book2::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::book3::chap17::chap18::chap19:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #320 on: July 01, 2017, 08:21:16 PM »
So...I need some advice. 

After nearly 20 years I've stepped onto a masquarde stage for the first time.  It was fun, I had a riot and the crowd took my costume and presentation just the way I wanted.  I was never going to win anything, but I left the show with people asking me eagerly what i was going to do next.  That was awsome.  So I decided to look around and reach out...only to realize the landscape has changed and I'm not sure I have anyone to reach out to.  So my conumdrum is, outside of ssss, I do my own thing, and I'm not sure that is okay any longer. 

My costume for the masquarde was a red duct tape overdress, and underdress of american tax papers (seriously I ordered booklets directly from the IRS and used that).  I was 'the auditor' and threated to audit the judges.  Now I'm considering what I'm going to do next and when i look online I only see cosplay stuff.  there doesn't seem to be any resource, forum, or anything else available if your not cosplaying. In fact apparently 'original costume' cosplay seems to be frowned upon and a hot topic.   Honestly I think cosplaying is cool, but i'm not up to that skill level and i'm doing my own thing, currently with duct tape.  For instance the three next ideas are a ssss costume, a disco woodpecker who dances to 'i survive', and a dragon in shining armor.  All made with duct tape of course. 

Of course I'm wondering if I'm allowed to enter contests any more because they're now 'cosplay contests' and all about level of craftmenship.  Some do seem to specifically say cosplay only and others are unspecific.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings.

I've never done a recreation ever.  Mind, back at SF conventions in the old days it was "costuming" and there was no such word as cosplay.  At least at most of the cons I go to,  original costumes are still welcomed and enjoyed.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

GeiYin

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • A cosmonaut... someday
« Reply #321 on: August 27, 2017, 03:26:02 PM »
Hi! (Sorry for not writing much here, I'm still reading the forum if i have time, but there are not much I can show or tell since i've got a job)

But! Here I am to share the cosplay-video of MLP that my team finally made.
You can also watch the the other videos on chanel if you're fan of the MLP :3

Thank you!
Native:  :russia:
Can read:  :uk: / :usa:
Dream goal: :germany:

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18:

Cosplaying, drawing bonfires, writing in ruSSSSian

PickleChip

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • c[]xxx[]:::::::::::::::>
  • Preferred pronouns: all of them, they're all mine now, i stole them
« Reply #322 on: September 29, 2017, 02:23:27 AM »
Kyoshi Warrior cosplay from Avatar!

Update: I did the Painted Lady, too.
This one might actually be my Halloween costume, my friend says she has the hat and a scarf that will work! But yeah, I made a dress and everything.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 03:19:26 AM by PickleChip »
If I'm both pan and genderfluid, then no matter who I like, it's gay and I think that's beautiful
Fluent: :usa:
Learning: all?
:chap12::book2::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Fauna

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #323 on: September 29, 2017, 01:41:59 PM »
So...I need some advice. 

After nearly 20 years I've stepped onto a masquarde stage for the first time.  It was fun, I had a riot and the crowd took my costume and presentation just the way I wanted.  I was never going to win anything, but I left the show with people asking me eagerly what i was going to do next.  That was awsome.  So I decided to look around and reach out...only to realize the landscape has changed and I'm not sure I have anyone to reach out to.  So my conumdrum is, outside of ssss, I do my own thing, and I'm not sure that is okay any longer. 

My costume for the masquarde was a red duct tape overdress, and underdress of american tax papers (seriously I ordered booklets directly from the IRS and used that).  I was 'the auditor' and threated to audit the judges.  Now I'm considering what I'm going to do next and when i look online I only see cosplay stuff.  there doesn't seem to be any resource, forum, or anything else available if your not cosplaying. In fact apparently 'original costume' cosplay seems to be frowned upon and a hot topic.   Honestly I think cosplaying is cool, but i'm not up to that skill level and i'm doing my own thing, currently with duct tape.  For instance the three next ideas are a ssss costume, a disco woodpecker who dances to 'i survive', and a dragon in shining armor.  All made with duct tape of course. 

Of course I'm wondering if I'm allowed to enter contests any more because they're now 'cosplay contests' and all about level of craftmenship.  Some do seem to specifically say cosplay only and others are unspecific.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings.
There are still cons and festivals for original creations, though sadly, they ARE falling out of fashion somewhat. They tend to follow themes, like fantasy, sci fi and history fairs that often encourage people to dress up to the theme of the event. Maybe start asking around in those circles and see if there is someshing that would fit you nearby.  Granted these are usually not contests but, you might still find your niche there.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #324 on: February 02, 2018, 06:45:21 PM »
Hi!  I found out last week that there will be an "Outlander"-themed ball this Saturday night (Feb. 3).  At very short notice I am trying to re-make an old Renaissance dress of mine into something suitable for the 1740s.  (Yes, haha, for someone who has next to no sewing skills and not a lot of money or time -- but at least the group putting on the ball isn't hard-nosed about historical accuracy.)

Question for any of you in the U.S.:
What chain stores are likeliest to carry peasant-style white blouses with flouncy and/or bell sleeves?  And/or ruffles around the neck?  Cheap ones?  I am going to check after work at Target and Ross.  There is also an Anthropologie nearby, which judging by its website is likely to have the look I want, but at $100-plus prices.  There are probably other chains that carry suitable blouses, which I'm not thinking of because I am over 40 and generally shop at tailored office-lady places like Talbots and Ann Taylor. 

I live about 20 miles south of San Francisco, in an affluent suburban area full of chain stores.  I'm just trying to think how to maximize my limited shopping time.  I will also check a couple of the local thrift stores, including Goodwill and Plato's Closet.

I've found a fair number of visual references and clothing construction tips online.  And I have had what I consider a stroke of genius, making panniers (the 18th-century equivalent of bustles, only they stick out sideways over each hip) out of coconut-fiber plant pot liners.  So I have a construction plan.  But if you have any further tips about looking sufficiently Louis Quinze, send 'em my way! 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Iceea

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #325 on: February 05, 2018, 12:40:05 PM »
You could try The Dress Barn or Khols which are on the less expensive side. Both seem to have stores out your way.
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #326 on: February 07, 2018, 01:26:47 AM »
Hi!  I found out last week that there will be an "Outlander"-themed ball this Saturday night (Feb. 3).  At very short notice I am trying to re-make an old Renaissance dress of mine into something suitable for the 1740s.  (Yes, haha, for someone who has next to no sewing skills and not a lot of money or time -- but at least the group putting on the ball isn't hard-nosed about historical accuracy.)

Question for any of you in the U.S.:
What chain stores are likeliest to carry peasant-style white blouses with flouncy and/or bell sleeves?  And/or ruffles around the neck?  Cheap ones?  I am going to check after work at Target and Ross.  There is also an Anthropologie nearby, which judging by its website is likely to have the look I want, but at $100-plus prices.  There are probably other chains that carry suitable blouses, which I'm not thinking of because I am over 40 and generally shop at tailored office-lady places like Talbots and Ann Taylor. 

I live about 20 miles south of San Francisco, in an affluent suburban area full of chain stores.  I'm just trying to think how to maximize my limited shopping time.  I will also check a couple of the local thrift stores, including Goodwill and Plato's Closet.

I've found a fair number of visual references and clothing construction tips online.  And I have had what I consider a stroke of genius, making panniers (the 18th-century equivalent of bustles, only they stick out sideways over each hip) out of coconut-fiber plant pot liners.  So I have a construction plan.  But if you have any further tips about looking sufficiently Louis Quinze, send 'em my way!

Thanks for the suggestion, Iceea! 

Actually, I ended up just making flouncy cuffs out of very wide fabric ruffles I got at the crafts store.  For future wear, I'll have more lead time to find a cheapo blouse at a thrift shop that I can cannibalize for sleeves.

I ended up renting a sewing machine (with mixed success -- a huge hassle to set up but once it finally worked it was  a lot faster than hand-sewing). 

I ended up wearing a *sort of* 1740s outfit consisting of: 
Turquoise overdress with "engageantes" (big, floppy sleeve ruffles), cream-colored ribbon bows on the sleeves, and a small "pie crust" frill around the neckline
Decorative petticoat with a center panel of turquoise/brown/olive/cream print fabric
Underpetticoat in dark turquoise
Panniers made of 2 coconut-fiber planters threaded on an old belt of mine
Stockings, regular dance shoes (I didn't have time or budget to get authentic a la Pompadour reproduction shoes)
Pearl earrings, brown faux-pearl necklace on a ribbon tie, fan, rings, faux-pearl headdress

For next time it needs:
Reconstructing and hemming the decorative petticoat so it doesn't trip me
A stomacher (decorative front panel on the bodice)
Underblouse sleeves to fill in the slits in the overdress sleeves
Adapting my Victorian-style corset to work in an 18th-century dress bodice
Tailoring the dress bodice to flow more smoothly
Better shoes
Better headcovering
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #327 on: February 10, 2018, 03:37:54 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, Iceea! 

Actually, I ended up just making flouncy cuffs out of very wide fabric ruffles I got at the crafts store.  For future wear, I'll have more lead time to find a cheapo blouse at a thrift shop that I can cannibalize for sleeves.

I ended up renting a sewing machine (with mixed success -- a huge hassle to set up but once it finally worked it was  a lot faster than hand-sewing). 

I ended up wearing a *sort of* 1740s outfit consisting of: 
Turquoise overdress with "engageantes" (big, floppy sleeve ruffles), cream-colored ribbon bows on the sleeves, and a small "pie crust" frill around the neckline
Decorative petticoat with a center panel of turquoise/brown/olive/cream print fabric
Underpetticoat in dark turquoise
Panniers made of 2 coconut-fiber planters threaded on an old belt of mine
Stockings, regular dance shoes (I didn't have time or budget to get authentic a la Pompadour reproduction shoes)
Pearl earrings, brown faux-pearl necklace on a ribbon tie, fan, rings, faux-pearl headdress

For next time it needs:
Reconstructing and hemming the decorative petticoat so it doesn't trip me
A stomacher (decorative front panel on the bodice)
Underblouse sleeves to fill in the slits in the overdress sleeves
Adapting my Victorian-style corset to work in an 18th-century dress bodice
Tailoring the dress bodice to flow more smoothly
Better shoes
Better headcovering

Photo...please...? 
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #328 on: October 16, 2018, 10:29:45 AM »
I am working on a cosplay for a current obsession ahem moderate interest of mine. I've never really done a fancy cosplay before or like a super detailed one, so I'm mostly just bumbling around, throwing things at the walls and hoping they stick. So far things are going well mostly. But I am stuck on one thing.

Does anyone have any wig advice? I have a wig already and I guess I'm just trying to figure out styling and stuff since I've never worked with a wig before this. I've done some things and it's sorta working? Buuuuuut idk I've been looking at it so long that I'm not sure if it looks good or not anymore. *lies on the floor*

I also have no idea where I'm gonna wear this cosplay bc I've never been to a con and don't know who I would go with or anything sooooooooo yepp
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Iceea

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #329 on: October 25, 2018, 11:53:39 AM »
I am working on a cosplay for a current obsession ahem moderate interest of mine. I've never really done a fancy cosplay before or like a super detailed one, so I'm mostly just bumbling around, throwing things at the walls and hoping they stick. So far things are going well mostly. But I am stuck on one thing.

Does anyone have any wig advice? I have a wig already and I guess I'm just trying to figure out styling and stuff since I've never worked with a wig before this. I've done some things and it's sorta working? Buuuuuut idk I've been looking at it so long that I'm not sure if it looks good or not anymore. *lies on the floor*

I also have no idea where I'm gonna wear this cosplay bc I've never been to a con and don't know who I would go with or anything sooooooooo yepp

Halloween?

Wigs, I haven't done one but my son and his girl friend SO (it's been about 5 yrs+ that probably makes her an SO) do it all the time. They color them with dye and spray paint, style them with gel and glue, cuts parts off an old one to use on a new one. And if they terminally botch it they're "usually" cheap enough to get another and start over. When they go to a con it's a bit like Midwestmutt noted in the Reenactment thread about needing a trailer. They come and borrow the car top carrier :D

Who to go with? Find a friend who's moderately interested in anime or whatever the con is themed on. There's usually enough to do to keep them occupied. Expect large crowds and waiting in long lines, if your companion has a problem with those you might need to find someone different. Expect to make new friends at the con. My son and SO have made a quite a few friends, some they only see at cons, some they go and visit for non con things. The best thing is being all nervous about appearing in your cosplay and then when you get there seeing everybody else and the incredible variety of attire and suddenly feeling so relaxed because you fit right in with everybody else ;)
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams