Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2365570 times)

Koeshi

• Scout
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #4155 on: March 29, 2015, 12:01:49 PM »
Very random:

Today I was skimming a traditional cookbook searching for a way to prepare chicken-breast and there were none recipes for it in it but seven different recipes for brain.  ::)

Those are some interesting traditions you have.  Remind me not to visit :P

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #4156 on: March 29, 2015, 03:19:07 PM »
"post-world cooking: delicious meals for your zombie friends"

;D Now this would be a very boring or very interesting dinner-party, depending on the mix of the guests...

"Traditional Nordic cooking: if it's not poisonous and goes down in fewer than five tries it counts as food. Except sometimes poisonous things also count as food."

Like poisonous mushrooms? Wouldn´t they be a rather a hobby than a meal?  8)

Those are some interesting traditions you have.  Remind me not to visit :P

Well, we are all bavarian barbarians here  :) Most visitors are grossed out when they are in a bavarian butchery, even other germans...(normal display: cow-tongue, diverse giblets and cold cut-specialties which look anythink but edible...)
Native: :germany:
Mostly fluent: :uk: / :usa:
Rusty: :finland:
almost forgotten: :italy:, :estonia:, :vaticancity:
learning: :sweden:

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing." (Florence Foster Jenkins)

:chap5: :chap6:  :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #4157 on: March 29, 2015, 03:26:18 PM »
There is the always legendary finnish delicasy Mämmi that illustrates the point of: "Food is to be eaten, not to be marveled at."

It may look like a pile of *banned word*, but the taste is lovely.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #4158 on: March 29, 2015, 03:27:12 PM »
Like poisonous mushrooms? Wouldn´t they be a rather a hobby than a meal?  8)

Like poisonous shark. :D That's why we have to rot it first before it can be eaten.

Bavarian cuisine sounds actually quite yummy. Icelanders also eat pretty much every part of an animal, including the head if we're talking about sheep.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #4159 on: March 29, 2015, 03:39:08 PM »
I'm not quite following the discussion going on but I hear talk of food that reminds me of certain Scandinavia & the World strips: on shark 1, on shark 2, on mämmi
this comic is...... pretty educational
you'll know where to find me.

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #4160 on: March 29, 2015, 04:03:44 PM »
There is the always legendary finnish delicasy Mämmi that illustrates the point of: "Food is to be eaten, not to be marveled at."

It may look like a pile of *banned word*, but the taste is lovely.

I think it looks delicious!  ;D How weird must I be...

Here you can get this dish called "Obazda" which can look like something already eaten:

But it I assure you it tastes good!

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing." (Florence Foster Jenkins)

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #4161 on: March 29, 2015, 04:06:21 PM »
I'm not quite following the discussion going on but I hear talk of food that reminds me of certain Scandinavia & the World strips: on shark 1, on shark 2, on mämmi
this comic is...... pretty educational

Oh yes, I have seen this strips... I think every people has it´s special dishes which nobody else quite gets...

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #4162 on: March 29, 2015, 04:29:35 PM »
Oh yes, I have seen this strips... I think every people has it´s special dishes which nobody else quite gets...

Indeed it is amazing how we sometimes decline dishes for looking weird while our own are pritty "intresting" sometimes  :)

One thing i sometimes wonder is what people might have eaten hundreds of yours ago. All those culinary delights dissapeared to the sands of time, ahhh such a waste.

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #4163 on: March 29, 2015, 04:43:37 PM »
Indeed it is amazing how we sometimes decline dishes for looking weird while our own are pritty "intresting" sometimes  :)

One thing i sometimes wonder is what people might have eaten hundreds of yours ago. All those culinary delights dissapeared to the sands of time, ahhh such a waste.

There are still some fairly old recipes floating around if you are really looking, at least here in my area...but I think, the everyday-food has been pretty simple and quite boring, such as oatmeal, oatcakes, stew...

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #4164 on: March 29, 2015, 05:09:05 PM »
There are still some fairly old recipes floating around if you are really looking, at least here in my area...but I think, the everyday-food has been pretty simple and quite boring, such as oatmeal, oatcakes, stew...

That's been my general impression.  I'm something of a historical-food geek.  Some "olden days" dishes were quite elaborate and strongly flavored (even *weirdly* flavored for our modern palates, e.g. the medieval European habit of putting sugar in all sorts of meat and vegetable dishes, or Romans adding herbs, spices, and garum (fish sauce) almost randomly to everything). 

But other things were either so labor-intensive or dull by comparison that when newer ingredients and dishes came on the scene (and technology allowed more fresh produce, dairy, and meat), things such as corned beef or stockfish dropped in popularity.

If you want to follow up, let's pursue this discussion over in the Recipe (etc.) thread.  I'm happy to share recipes or take questions.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #4165 on: March 30, 2015, 02:08:47 AM »
That's been my general impression.  I'm something of a historical-food geek.  Some "olden days" dishes were quite elaborate and strongly flavored (even *weirdly* flavored for our modern palates, e.g. the medieval European habit of putting sugar in all sorts of meat and vegetable dishes, or Romans adding herbs, spices, and garum (fish sauce) almost randomly to everything). 

Uhm, there is still a little bit of sugar in almost all my dishes... am I living in the past? ;D Seriously, I am honestly surprised now that you don´t add sugar to your vegetables.

If you want to follow up, let's pursue this discussion over in the Recipe (etc.) thread.  I'm happy to share recipes or take questions.

Okay, we can relocate in the recipe-thread. I´m copying the relevant quotes.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 02:27:35 AM by Viisikielinenkantele »

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #4166 on: March 30, 2015, 08:26:52 AM »
We hit 500 members recently, and now we've hit 25000+ posts.  I'm a bit late on this one but, still, it's a pretty cool number to reach.
Thanks for a heck of a lot of conversation, y'all!
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #4167 on: March 30, 2015, 09:19:32 AM »
We hit 500 members recently, and now we've hit 25000+ posts.  I'm a bit late on this one but, still, it's a pretty cool number to reach.
So cool!! (Hehe my first thought was "hey it's the forums quarter-life-crisis time now" XD)
And thank you Eich! UuU
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #4168 on: March 30, 2015, 09:40:13 AM »
Welp. I was away from a computer for two days, and now I have a couple hundred articles in my feed reader, quite a few more Norwegian words than that to review, and who knows how many posts in the forum to catch up on....

...apparently a lot. But yay for the forum! *confetti everywhere*

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #4169 on: March 30, 2015, 10:04:34 AM »
Yay! Forum Celebration! *Smiles happily at everyone*