Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2356793 times)

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #17550 on: August 19, 2017, 04:09:55 AM »
ONLY eight hits so far?!? Cologne's "Idiots' Bridge" is at 100+ and counting ...

Only eight they have pictures of! It gets hit numerous times a year and every time they add more warning signs and flashing lights, but it never helps :)

There's a number of bridges like that in the US. Storrow drive here in Boston was designed only for cars so anytime a truck or bus tries it, crunch! There was one batch of pictures on You Tube of an underpass some where. Short videos actually. And what I thought was really great were the big campers that would shear off all the AC units and other stuff on the roof but leave the roof proper untouched, and just keep on driving, not stopping.

How many of those campers were hire vehicles I wonder?

Funniest thing of that kind I've seen was at the Aldgate railway bridge in the Adelaide Hills. Big shiny tourist bus, full of tourists, drove under it and stuck, jammed between the bridge and the road. Panic ensued. People were running around trying to organise a crane, permissions to partly dismantle the bridge (which were not forthcoming both because it is an heritage bridge and because the main Adelaide-Melbourne train line runs across it). Finally some genius had the idea of letting down the tyres of the bus, and it was able to creep out from under the bridge.

We've got another underpass on the other side of the city but it's a bit higher so trucks can (usually) get under it without problems. This didn't apply however to the fellow maybe 20 years back who got really drunk one night and decided to steal the London double decker bus owned by a local tourist company. He peeled the roof off like a sardine can and they had to convert it to an open top afterwards :))
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #17551 on: August 19, 2017, 11:30:10 AM »
Learning about the attack in Turku, I can't refrain from thinking that we were there one week and a few days ago :/ This world is mad.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #17552 on: August 19, 2017, 09:49:19 PM »
Completly unrelated, but right now I am in the galapagos islands, and last week I was at machu pichu. The wifi here is touch and go, mostly cafes and such, but if I haven't posted pictures by the end of next weekend, someone please hunt me down and yell at me :P

I have been having lots of crazy adventures, and I also have a few airport horror stories for anyone who's interested. Spoiler alert: they lost my luggage for 4 days.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #17553 on: August 20, 2017, 12:42:37 AM »
You were lucky that they found it again at all. Hope nothing was broken. Worst an airline ever did to me was to put the tine of a forklift*through* my harp, in its case and all.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Mélusine

« Reply #17554 on: August 20, 2017, 03:21:48 AM »
Haaa, Machu Pichu, I might be just a little jealous :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #17555 on: August 20, 2017, 12:44:08 PM »
That sounds like an awesome trip, Viola! Well, except for the lost baggage part - I do hope you had enough in your carry-on to survive those four days relatively comfortably.

That reminds me of what happened to my mom on the way to New Brunswick, the entire baggage system was shut down in Calgary so it didn't even end up on the plane with us before we departed. It did make it's way back to us the next day though, they sorted it out surprisingly fast.
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #17556 on: August 20, 2017, 03:34:31 PM »
You were lucky that they found it again at all. Hope nothing was broken. Worst an airline ever did to me was to put the tine of a forklift*through* my harp, in its case and all.

That is the worst! Nothing was broken, I just had clothes and sunblock in it. I am just happy to have clean clothes again. Clean clothes are amazing.

Fun fact: in peru you can have coca tea which is made from the leaves of the plant they make cocaine with. It's illegal in north america and some places in europe.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #17557 on: August 20, 2017, 04:27:52 PM »

Ah WHAT noooo

Notwithstanding, lovely adventures, Vi.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

OwlsG0

• I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #17558 on: August 22, 2017, 06:44:56 AM »
Finland did a thing. A very, very gay thing.

I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

heiteru

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: really don't care. you can use whatever you like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #17559 on: August 24, 2017, 07:27:32 AM »
native : :russia:
mistakes can't stop me: :uk: / :usa:
one day~ : :iceland: , :finland:

chapter joined : :chap5:
chapter break survivor: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

ROBIN, THANKS FOR THE AVATAR, YOU'RE THE BEST, LOVE YOU <3

Antillanka

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: her, thank you ;)
« Reply #17560 on: August 24, 2017, 10:31:02 AM »

Yeiii and I were planing a trip to Iceland, until we realized that the only way we could afford to stay there was to take shelter on a horse stable XD
Iguana with issues

Speaks: :chile:('cause that sh*t ain't :spain: XD); :usa:

Mélusine

« Reply #17561 on: August 24, 2017, 11:06:24 AM »

Yeiii and I were planing a trip to Iceland, until we realized that the only way we could afford to stay there was to take shelter on a horse stable XD
Camping ? One of my brother just spent two weeks there with his girlfriend like that.

Antillanka

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: her, thank you ;)
« Reply #17562 on: August 24, 2017, 09:59:24 PM »
Camping ? One of my brother just spent two weeks there with his girlfriend like that.

Hmmm, that opens some interesting prospects!!!
I've hear it's kinda windy, though

Iguana with issues

Speaks: :chile:('cause that sh*t ain't :spain: XD); :usa:

Mélusine

« Reply #17563 on: August 25, 2017, 05:00:43 AM »
Hmmm, that opens some interesting prospects!!!
I've hear it's kinda windy, though

I don't know but can ask him how it was/where they went if you're interested later. (Not sure to have a lot of answers but I can try.)

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #17564 on: August 25, 2017, 09:38:21 AM »
...okay, so apparently this is a thing? Was this Minna's doing or one of us?
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18: