Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2337359 times)

Antillanka

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: her, thank you ;)
Iguana with issues

Speaks: :chile:('cause that sh*t ain't :spain: XD); :usa:

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #17536 on: August 07, 2017, 12:31:55 AM »
Fingers crossed my phone line is now fixed. I haven't heard anything from the phone company but I started getting a dial town yesterday afternoon and was able to place and receive calls, and was able to get online this morning. The dial tone does sound weird though, so I'm not 100% sure it's completely fixed.

Cheer up, Wyrm, at least you won't get telephone salespeople!

I am one of those rare and lucky individuals with a landline number that has always been unlisted, and hence get a total of three or four telemarketer calls per year! XoX

Wait, why should I do things differently just because YOU have issues? ;)

Oh quiet you! ;D
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #17537 on: August 07, 2017, 02:10:03 AM »
You are lucky! Even though we are supposed to have a silent number, we are still plagued with telemarketers -I think Telstra just sells them block lists of numbers.

Still, could be worse. Years ago I lived in a sharehouse, in which one of my housemates was a distant relative of a famous television personality, and had the same unusual surname and the same first initial. We got calls at all hours, everything from declarations of undying love to whistleblower calls on an astonishing number of scandals. They wouldn't take no for an answer, even when we repeatedly explained that no, the person who lived here was the wrong gender, and he was a traditional musician rather than a current affairs reporter, and we didn't even own a television set. The responses tended to "Yes, yes, I know you have to say that, but this is really important, so just tell her that....." . It got very annoying.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #17538 on: August 07, 2017, 05:35:32 PM »
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #17539 on: August 07, 2017, 07:52:33 PM »
Still, could be worse. Years ago I lived in a sharehouse, in which one of my housemates was a distant relative of a famous television personality, and had the same unusual surname and the same first initial. We got calls at all hours, everything from declarations of undying love to whistleblower calls on an astonishing number of scandals. They wouldn't take no for an answer, even when we repeatedly explained that no, the person who lived here was the wrong gender, and he was a traditional musician rather than a current affairs reporter, and we didn't even own a television set. The responses tended to "Yes, yes, I know you have to say that, but this is really important, so just tell her that....." . It got very annoying.

He wasn't named J. Wendt by any chance was he? (First person that sprung to mind!)

On a completely different subject, here's someone else's take on militarised felines...

Feline Special Operations Squad

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 07:55:22 PM by Purple Wyrm »

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

Róisín

« Reply #17540 on: August 07, 2017, 08:28:51 PM »
Wyrm: Heh, yes, he was. He is many years dead now, but that was the one. And she had an unlisted number, probably for just these reasons.

And the cats are amusing.

Iceea

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #17541 on: August 09, 2017, 06:31:29 PM »
Ahh, the memories of group house (sharehouse) living. One of the housemates I lived with was a model. The real deal, absolutely gorgeous, but a down to earth person and a real sweetheart. Occasionally she'd get hired to be a booth babe at a trade show somewhere. When she'd come back she'd put this list of names on the phone board saying if any of these guys call, you don't know me, never heard of me, must have a wrong number. And some times one other name saying if this guy calls get his number!
Another housemate's sister was married to one of the Starsky & Hutch duo from the TV show of the same name, I forget which one. Occasionally he, the brother in law - TV star, would call and ask to speak to Peter. You'd recognize his voice from the show instantly but Peter asked us to be very cool and treat the call like any other. So we would but, there was some catch phrase from the show, which I also forget, that would have been perfect to end the conversation with. Maybe like, "sure thing Hutch" or something like that. I always wanted to say it but never did.
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

Fauna

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #17542 on: August 10, 2017, 02:56:44 PM »
According to the servers at work I am now nicknamed the milk man.

Yey
So, is your milk the regular kind, or the exploding dream kind? I hope it's not fortified with what the world wants.. or what it deserves.

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #17543 on: August 10, 2017, 02:58:11 PM »
So, is your milk the regular kind, or the exploding dream kind? I hope it's not fortified with what the world wants.. or what it deserves.

My milk is what the world deserves, but not what it needs right now.

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #17544 on: August 10, 2017, 10:29:23 PM »
Tim Minchin has just posted this wonderful take on Australia's idiotic, non-binding, Same Sex Marriage postal/vote/survey waste-of-time-and-money-when-they-could-just-join-the-21st-century-with-a-simple-vote-in-parliament thing.

https://www.facebook.com/timminchin/videos/10155430722376826/

Róisín

« Reply #17545 on: August 10, 2017, 11:42:04 PM »
Wyrm, that's delightful! Hooray for Tim Minchin!

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #17546 on: August 18, 2017, 12:44:36 AM »
Some genius has created a website to chronicle the... issue... that regularly occurs at the end of my street  :))

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #17547 on: August 18, 2017, 08:59:35 AM »
Some genius has created a website to chronicle the... issue... that regularly occurs at the end of my street  :))
ONLY eight hits so far?!? Cologne's "Idiots' Bridge" is at 100+ and counting ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Iceea

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #17548 on: August 18, 2017, 10:32:37 AM »
There's a number of bridges like that in the US. Storrow drive here in Boston was designed only for cars so anytime a truck or bus tries it, crunch! There was one batch of pictures on You Tube of an underpass some where. Short videos actually. And what I thought was really great were the big campers that would shear off all the AC units and other stuff on the roof but leave the roof proper untouched, and just keep on driving, not stopping.

"Dear did you just hear some noise?" "hunh, no I didn't hear anything."
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

Róisín

« Reply #17549 on: August 18, 2017, 11:57:00 AM »
Funniest thing of that kind I've seen was at the Aldgate railway bridge in the Adelaide Hills. Big shiny tourist bus, full of tourists, drove under it and stuck, jammed between the bridge and the road. Panic ensued. People were running around trying to organise a crane, permissions to partly dismantle the bridge (which were not forthcoming both because it is an heritage bridge and because the main Adelaide-Melbourne train line runs across it). Finally some genius had the idea of letting down the tyres of the bus, and it was able to creep out from under the bridge.