Author Topic: Promotion Celebrations  (Read 216784 times)

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
Re: Promotion Celebrations
« Reply #1845 on: July 19, 2020, 11:05:57 PM »
Just a couple minutes ago, I've deleted a decently long post wrote in the literature thread. You know why? Because I was too scared to post it. Because I was uncomfortable with putting my opinion out for everybody to see. Because I may be among friends here, but I sure don't feel like it. So maybe you're right and this isn't a competition. But perhaps if I posted more, if I was keeping up, I'd be able to close the gap somehow. I don't see that ever happening, though. It's like everybody's getting further and further away while I remain stuck in place.

This is not the right place to talk about this kind of stuff, though. I'm sorry. I'll see myself out.

Don't apologize, talk about it if you want to!

And I talk too much. Or at any rate I talk a lot. People have to tell me to shut up sometimes. And some of my most favorite people hardly talk at all.

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #1846 on: July 19, 2020, 11:48:54 PM »
Just a couple minutes ago, I've deleted a decently long post wrote in the literature thread. You know why? Because I was too scared to post it. Because I was uncomfortable with putting my opinion out for everybody to see. Because I may be among friends here, but I sure don't feel like it. So maybe you're right and this isn't a competition. But perhaps if I posted more, if I was keeping up, I'd be able to close the gap somehow. I don't see that ever happening, though. It's like everybody's getting further and further away while I remain stuck in place.

This is not the right place to talk about this kind of stuff, though. I'm sorry. I'll see myself out.
idk if this is helpful or relevant (if it isn't, feel free to ignore!), but on the off-chance it is: I imagine I speak for everyone else as well when I say that I'd love to see your opinions! But at the same time, don't push yourself into something you don't want to do just because you feel pressured to do it. You don't need to justify or apologize for your reluctance to post, so take your time. We'll be here to listen if/when you want to talk. In the meantime, we do enjoy and value what you do choose to say.
Although, fwiw, even though I currently have more forum posts than you do, I'm pretty sure you participate in the fandom overall way more than I do, although we started out at similar times (in fact, I KNOW you participate in Discuss way more than I do...you can compare our Discuss profiles if you want proof). If there's a gap between the two of us anywhere, it's because you're leaving me in the dust.
Butter good.
Native language: :usa: | Okay at: :china: | Not very good: :mexico: | Working on: :vaticancity:, :england: (OE), :france: | Wishlist: :germany:, :iceland:, :norway:, :finland:, Shanghainese, Esperanto

:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

RanVor

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: he/it/that thing
« Reply #1847 on: July 20, 2020, 06:39:28 AM »
idk if this is helpful or relevant (if it isn't, feel free to ignore!), but on the off-chance it is: I imagine I speak for everyone else as well when I say that I'd love to see your opinions! But at the same time, don't push yourself into something you don't want to do just because you feel pressured to do it. You don't need to justify or apologize for your reluctance to post, so take your time. We'll be here to listen if/when you want to talk. In the meantime, we do enjoy and value what you do choose to say.
Although, fwiw, even though I currently have more forum posts than you do, I'm pretty sure you participate in the fandom overall way more than I do, although we started out at similar times (in fact, I KNOW you participate in Discuss way more than I do...you can compare our Discuss profiles if you want proof). If there's a gap between the two of us anywhere, it's because you're leaving me in the dust.
That's not really what I wanted to communicate in my post, but thank you, I guess?

Regarding Disqus, though, I'd like to note that I came to SSSS with a headstart of 2000+ comments elsewhere, so it isn't really a fair comparison at all. And I don't really contribute that much. I don't even read most of the comments. It's true that my tenure as the vote officer (as Jitter nicely dubbed it) has given me way more recognition that I'd otherwise be able to acquire in my relatively short time of Minnionship, but you're overestimating my overall input here.

lumilaulu

« Reply #1848 on: July 20, 2020, 02:58:59 PM »
It's not a question of time, I really want to post more, but I just don't have anything to say!  :'( How can you guys not have that problem!? It's like I'm inherently disadvantaged...
Yeah. Never mind time, how do you all get the energy to write that many posts? How do you get over the "I don't have anything interesting to say" hurdle?

I don't even read most of the comments.
That's another thing I wondered about! When I read SSSS, there are sometimes a few hundred comments already. How do you people manage that? I don't have the energy or concentration required for all of that, even if today I would've had the time.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 03:05:46 PM by lumilaulu »

muidole

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #1849 on: July 20, 2020, 03:15:31 PM »
That's another thing I wondered about! When I read SSSS, there are sometimes a few hundred comments already. How do you people manage that? I don't have the energy or concentration required for all of that, even if today I would've had the time.

At least for me, when I post in the comment section, I don’t use a disqus account, so if/when I decide to find comments that I’ve made to see if anyone’s replied, I usually get sidetracked by other conversations going on and end up reading or skimming through those threads on the way.

Plus if you get to the page early, leave for a while, then come back to check on the comments section, you can read through all the comments in chunks, which make it easier to read through the entire thing, provided you have the free time to do so.

Also congrats to Mirasol for reaching Safe Zone  :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 03:17:15 PM by CeilingFan »
:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #1850 on: July 20, 2020, 03:29:39 PM »
Yeah. Never mind time, how do you all get the energy to write that many posts? How do you get over the "I don't have anything interesting to say" hurdle?
I think that depends on how much involved you get in the discussions. I had just a few posts when the "SSSS monopoly game" thread begun, out of an edit and people jumping on the train... suddenly we were talking a lot, and then you notice another topic and so on... The interesting things to say kind of begins in a natural and gradual form, when you start realizing that the people hanging around here are great and kind, so one can speak with friends (and without fear of being trolled...) :)

I keep dropping by from time to time during the day, whenever I make a break. But if you don't feel like doing that (whatever the reason) you can just sort comments by "best", which means "most upvoted" and will get a good picture of it. :)

I always use a Disqus account because I find really useful to be notified when people reply to something I wrote without having to scroll down and down and down... :)
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #1851 on: July 20, 2020, 08:45:43 PM »
<snip> It's like everybody's getting further and further away while I remain stuck in place.

Nobody's getting further away, it's just a measure of verbosity. You're right here with the rest of us, I imagine you laughing or shaking your head or asking yourself where all this creativity comes from, and chipping in when you have something to say. I don't post a whole lot, but I certainly don't feel like I'm behind. It's exactly like irl conversation among good friends - some won't shut up, others hardly speak, but all are valued!

I don't even try to keep up. Using a login means I see replies to my posts, and sorting by best helps find the most interesting threads. There are a few user names I keep an eye out for, as well, but I certainly don't read everything!
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

lumilaulu

« Reply #1852 on: July 20, 2020, 09:17:27 PM »
But if you don't read all the comments, how do you know there isn't already a comment (or several ones, even) saying what you're planning to say? I wouldn't want to add to the clutter with double comments.

I keep dropping by from time to time during the day, whenever I make a break. But if you don't feel like doing that (whatever the reason) you can just sort comments by "best", which means "most upvoted" and will get a good picture of it. :)
I can't do that during work, and if I haven't had time for SSSS during breakfast I won't even get to read it until the evening. (Yes, I realise Tuesday's page has been posted by now, but if I didn't have today and tomorrow (Monday and Tuesday) off, I would've been, should've been in bed hours ago.)

RanVor

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: he/it/that thing
« Reply #1853 on: July 21, 2020, 05:11:35 AM »
Nobody's getting further away, it's just a measure of verbosity. You're right here with the rest of us, I imagine you laughing or shaking your head or asking yourself where all this creativity comes from, and chipping in when you have something to say. I don't post a whole lot, but I certainly don't feel like I'm behind. It's exactly like irl conversation among good friends - some won't shut up, others hardly speak, but all are valued!
Eh, another one who doesn't get it... But it's okay, it's not like you can help me in any way.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #1854 on: July 21, 2020, 06:53:20 AM »
"A few hundred"? There are 125 on the current page right now, and 221 on the previous one. Disqus serves websites that run into the five digits on daily-or-even-more-frequent pages, I'm wondering how anyone stays on top of that hailstorm! (Possibly with lots of blacklisting other commenters. The tune on those pages seems to often be abrasive.)

As someone who does not use a Disqus-or-its-auth-providers login, I keep pages - guess which ones usually, from the first line ;) - open in browser tabs and gamble on Disqus' JavaScript "new replies" mechanism to point out the comments I have not yet seen to me being in a good mood. There's a lot of skimming going on, I admit. Control-F is your friend ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

lumilaulu

« Reply #1855 on: July 21, 2020, 08:25:48 AM »
Yes, the amount of comments in the beginning of a new chapter is often lower than nearing the end of one. But 221 is "a few hundred". ;)

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #1856 on: July 21, 2020, 07:58:52 PM »
But if you don't read all the comments, how do you know there isn't already a comment (or several ones, even) saying what you're planning to say? I wouldn't want to add to the clutter with double comments.
I can't do that during work, and if I haven't had time for SSSS during breakfast I won't even get to read it until the evening. (Yes, I realise Tuesday's page has been posted by now, but if I didn't have today and tomorrow (Monday and Tuesday) off, I would've been, should've been in bed hours ago.)

Like you, I often don't get to SSSS until late in the day, by which time there are waaaay too many comments to read. As a result, I often don't post anything at all, because it's all been said. I'm more likely to respond to existing comments. And if someone responds to a post with "Drink!" it may be because it's something that's already been noted umpteen times already - so if that's what you were about to say, don't!  ;)

Life's too short to worry about reading all the comments on a webcomic. Some pages generate especially interesting discussions, those get up-voted and are easy to find, the rest is ephemera. Satisfying in the moment, but no great tragedy if you miss it.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1857 on: July 28, 2020, 08:19:30 PM »
Look who's busted out of the Safe Zone, heading out as a Scout - it's Vulpes
No trolls on sticks to be served at this celebration, thanks.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 08:23:16 PM by wavewright62 »
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #1858 on: July 28, 2020, 10:15:43 PM »
Congratulations, Vulpes!!!
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #1859 on: July 29, 2020, 02:51:09 AM »
Vulpes, please report to the Scout Headquarters for briefing and mission description!

Congrats!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.