Author Topic: Anyone interested in some alpha or beta reading maybe?  (Read 1228 times)

JStevens

• Super-Newbie
Anyone interested in some alpha or beta reading maybe?
« on: February 19, 2022, 02:22:00 PM »
Hello, Minnions!  <3

A handful of you might know me from A03, where I have been known in the past to write silly torturous drama about our dear Emil and Lalli. I've been working since NaNo this past year on a novel-length YA-ish original story that anyone who read Come to Me will recognize more than a few beats and themes from. I loved writing that story so much that I'd been toying for years with the idea of trying to do something similar that wouldn't be restricted to the world of SSSS, as much as I love it, and this was the result, set in the very real modern world. It actually ended up less similar than I'd expected, because new characters took on lives of their own, but the bones are still there: a floundering young man, a friend he hasn't seen in years, a past trauma, and some fun ladies helping things along—all leading hopefully to a happy ending after some tough times.

I'm just finishing up the last two chapters, but progress really ground to a halt the past two months because I know that the climax needs some work (and probably requires me to go back and lay some different groundwork earlier), and I still haven't gotten it straightened out yet. So, to try to force myself to just finish the dang thing once and then go back and fix stuff in revisions, I'm going public! And reaching out here to see if anyone might be interested in some alpha and/or beta reading: giving this beast a read and maybe starting to chime in with fresh eyes on what's working for you, what's not, where you got confused, what you wanted more of, or if you end up quitting reading partway through, where you did and any commentary on why?

As much as I've put silly fics out there for y'all to see, I never really do so with original writing that doesn't have a rich world and love for the characters already built in, so it's quite intimidating to see how original writing lands with folks. Hope I'm not overstepping by posting this here, but interacting with the SSSS community on AO3 was absolutely the most fun I've had with writing in a decade or more, so if anyone enjoyed my fics there and would like a free read at an unpolished new story or has any questions...I'd appreciate hearing from you!

This is honestly a bit terrifying to post. But gotta put my big-girl pants on and press post! :siv:

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
Re: Anyone interested in some alpha or beta reading maybe?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 01:26:36 AM »
I can try; I don’t know how much help I can be, but I can try.

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 01:50:03 AM »
I would be pleased to try to help with your project. I'd love to read more of your writing, and I need all the practice I can get in putting thoughts into words; this would offer plenty of both.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2022, 02:39:59 AM »
Me too. Life is hectic but I may be able to help a little.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2022, 02:43:14 AM »
Heya, appreciation for all of your writing absolutely belongs here!  'Come to Me' is still widely quoted as among the best in the fandom, along with comments I've seen along the lines of 'I wonder if they gave up writing?'  I suspect there may be a wee appetite for the sort of character interactions you've written.

I can try to have a read, too.  I tend to take stories the way they are with all disbelief suspended, until somebody hands me a red pen. 
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2022, 07:22:34 AM »
My life is also about to get pretty hectic soon, but I'd love to give what you've written a read and try my best to give some helpful feedback! So, yeah, I'm up for a read.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

JStevens

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2022, 04:34:48 PM »
Ah, you beautiful people—now I truly do have to turn the last two chapters from vague notes into complete chapters. Just the kick up the arse I needed! XD

I'm working in Google Docs, so I'll send folks who have responded a link to share the doc via DM! This is no assignment, so no need for anyone to feel obligated to go all the way through or do anything in particular. (Rather—if it's not entertaining enough that you feel compelled to read on because you want to know what happens, then that's pretty telling on its own, eh? So that's valuable feedback in its own right!) But I hugely appreciate the willingness to give it a whirl!  <3

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2022, 05:40:51 PM »
I am terribly busy so I won’t be able to beta for you, but I want to say I’m happy to hear you are writing! I love your fanfic, and I’m sure the original fiction will be great as well!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

JStevens

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2022, 06:28:00 PM »
Awww, thank you, Jitter! Glad you enjoyed the fics as well! <3

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2022, 02:15:19 AM »
 :reynir: Glad to hype help  :lalli:
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

dmeck7755

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2022, 11:22:09 AM »
Jstevens,
I can read and give my comments (for what they are worth).
I would not be of any use for grammar or proofreading.  I can always do reading on the train if you need. 
I really like your fanfic
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 11:41:45 AM by dmeck7755 »
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

JStevens

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2022, 09:04:23 PM »
DM'ed you, dmeck! Thank you!