Author Topic: 日本語? (Japanese?)  (Read 14074 times)

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: 日本語? (Japanese?)
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2017, 09:09:21 AM »
This is GREAT!  Thanks so much!  I like learning about the structure of words.  Like, does the "kaze" part of "matsukaze" = "wind"?  As in "kamikaze," which I know literally means "divine wind"? 

And Fred Korematsu, the Japanese-American civil rights hero whose birthday we just celebrated -- does the "-matsu" part of his name mean "pine"?

I'm leaning towards "Matsuba" or "Wakamatsu" as a sword name.  I really appreciate the suggestions!

Well observed :) It does indeed mean wind, and is written with the kanji 風. Fun fact: it can be read as "kaze", "fuu", or "kaza" depending on where it's used in a word!

Korematsu 是松 means "this pine tree", or "right/just so pine tree" (that "kore" kanji can also mean "justice" apparently, but I'm a little unfamiliar with its use in that way)

Matsuba was my favorite of the suggestions as well actually ^_^ it is written 松葉 using the kanji for "pine" and "leaf"
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2017, 02:00:45 AM »
Well observed :) It does indeed mean wind, and is written with the kanji 風. Fun fact: it can be read as "kaze", "fuu", or "kaza" depending on where it's used in a word!

Korematsu 是松 means "this pine tree", or "right/just so pine tree" (that "kore" kanji can also mean "justice" apparently, but I'm a little unfamiliar with its use in that way)

Matsuba was my favorite of the suggestions as well actually ^_^ it is written 松葉 using the kanji for "pine" and "leaf"

Matsuba it is!  (Says its sore, hobbling owner.)  I like having a sword called "Pine Needle" because (among other things) it reminds me a bit of Arya Stark's sword Needle.

Arigato gozaimasu!   :)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2017, 12:15:15 AM »
...Well I did attempt to learn Japanese in 7th grade and got super into it but also sucked and didn't have many resources to use, so I learned basically nothing and have forgotten even that. Whoops.

And then my dad can somehow understand a lot of Japanese seemingly solely from his watching of subtitled anime? And I have no idea how he does it???
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :canada: :usa: :australia: :uk:
Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: