Author Topic: Personal Dreamworld  (Read 26100 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: Personal Dreamworld
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2016, 06:54:15 PM »
Ooh, nice country!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Fall_Wolf

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #91 on: April 11, 2017, 04:23:57 PM »
My dream world would actually look pretty creepy to most people... Have you seen one of the Salt Flats after the rain, at night? If it wasn't for the mountains in the background, it would look like nothing but night sky.
So imagine that, but with rich nebulae of various purples and blues reaching about you, and larger stars.
A lot of dreamworlds revolve around a favourite place, but when I got to thinking I thought mine would probably be more abstract. Emptiness and the night sky have always terrified/amazed me, so it seemed like the natural choice.
Psalm 42:11
Avatar made by me! See more of my artwork on Instagram under the name cloud_girl.draws :)

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2017, 06:44:10 PM »
Um, I think I'm pretty nearly living in mine?

I just hope I manage to hold on to it.

Abprallen

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • The Frenchiest of Fries
« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2017, 07:05:19 PM »
Would probably look like Bodmin Moor. Complete with the historical and archaeological sites, obvs.

Fall_Wolf, why don't you introduce yourself? :))

Róisín

« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2017, 08:14:33 PM »
Fall_Wolf, that sounds like some of the country around Lake Eyre, in outback South Australia, or the salt flats out toward the Tanami desert. Amazing country, especially at night.

Thorny, I can see why you would like your land enough to make a Haven of it. I love how you talk about your farm. And yeah, keeping it.....we have a much better chance of keeping ours now that husband is finally employed again.

Abprallen, Bodmin is amazing, isn't it. Always reminds me of how Judith Wright described some of the high country here: 'full of old stories that still go walking in my sleep'. Very alive country.

Abprallen

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • The Frenchiest of Fries
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2017, 08:47:06 PM »
Abprallen, Bodmin is amazing, isn't it. Always reminds me of how Judith Wright described some of the high country here: 'full of old stories that still go walking in my sleep'. Very alive country.

It's almost otherworldly there. I've driven through a few times on the way to Penzance and Landsend- it's amazing. We never stopped for too long when in that area, I think my parents were worried I'd run off and never come back. Seeing it again certainly makes me want to.

Róisín

« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2017, 11:15:37 PM »
Lots of folklore and songs there too, and good stones.

Fauna

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #97 on: May 01, 2017, 12:00:12 PM »
I wonder if dream worlds aren't a little bit like... actual dreams? As in they change a little bit here and there. I've nudged a little bit on lucid dreaming and ones surroundings are... not very consistent at all as far as I've seen.

I guess if I had a dream world, it would be a little bit like that, some sort of amalgam between re-occurring dream scenes I've had as well as places that have mattered to me. But all dream world we've seen have looked like people's home areas so I guess mine would, too.

Which would make my dreamworld based around the natural reserve behind the neighborhood where I grew up. More specifically the ravine and its little creek that would run out into the Swedish archipelago with a small beach on one side, surrounded by softly rounded stone hills. On one side of this creek was a small path; on the other side was a pretty high mountain wall. In reality there is an oil cistern on the top of that little mountain, but I imagine that in my dream world, it would probably melt into the various little summerhouses that have been owned by my grandparents, much like geography in dreams doesn't actually make any sense. So that would take me to at least four different locations that... wouldn't necessarily fit together :D One lot in the Stockholm archipelago; one in the archipelago of northern Sweden; one on the mountain plains by a lake; and one to a sheep farm. In between these places would probably be filled with *actual* dream stuff that randomized and changed like dreams do, as well as at least one tree leading underground.

Anyway, that little creek had a small beach right next to it where stuff would always wash up, and I'm playing with the idea that if I were an SSSS mage and could predict the future (because I'd definitely be part of the Icelandic school of magic, I never knew much about the Finnish lore) I'd do so by paying attention to whatever washed up at that beach.

I'd make myself a small house at the bottom of that creek, if I could. It was always very overgrown and sheltering and I'd go there when I was feeling down. Something tiny and quiet with room for a fire, like this:

Róisín

« Reply #98 on: May 01, 2017, 09:37:04 PM »
Fauna, that looks lovely; sort of a very rustic hobbit hole. Can imagine you sitting by the fire on a stormy night, or practising arenomancy or found object divination on your beach. And your tree might have roots that lead down to the main Dreamworld, in the shamanic manner.

Kelpie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • formerly known as Jhev
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #99 on: May 02, 2017, 01:09:01 AM »
I thought I posted here before but apparently not. I thought this would be a hard question but really it isn't!  :haw: Mine would be somewhere in the Great Smokey Mountains. It's one of the most peaceful places I've ever been, and extremely beautiful. I'm always really, really happy whenever I get to go there, it's just wonderful. I haven't encountered anywhere else yet that I love as much as it.

It looks like that most of the time but here's where it earns its name.

Spoiler: bonus clouds and forest • show

This picture is actually from someone complaining they couldn't see anything from the highest point because it was cloudy. That's what it was like when I went up there and honestly it was really cool. You don't realize how fast clouds are really moving until you're standing in them.

And here it is from the ground!
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Fluent :usa:
Learning :germany:
Can count in :japan:
Actually learned a lot of in elementary school, but can now only remember how to decline verbs :vaticancity:
Maybe some day :norway:

Róisín

« Reply #100 on: May 02, 2017, 01:36:50 AM »
Jhev, that's beautiful! Reminds me of our Snowy Mountains here in Australia, or Cradle Mountain in Tasmania. I've actually worked in the Great Smokeys (seed collecting), and gone hiking and fishing there too. Lovely country....

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2017, 05:15:22 PM »

Monument valley. Because I love deserts
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 05:17:10 PM by MR_PLINKETT »

Róisín

« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2017, 06:08:28 PM »
And that is one beautiful desert.

Sulwyn

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #103 on: May 21, 2017, 04:41:19 PM »
My personal dream world would be a huge forest where at some places where the forest stopped there would be a cliff outlooking beautiful mountains and a deadly drop to a huge lake. The air would NEVER be humid but always a little crisp and cool so that you always needed a light jacket. The forest would be filled with animals-a lot of them wouldn't be frightened of you and you could ride the deer sometimes. Mythological animals would also make appearances every now and then. On the other end of where the forest ends it would come to a place with rough terrain of steep hills but the whole ground is shaded by trees-some of the trees humongous.
Food would never be a problem because fruits were everywhere, and crisp clean creeks and rivers perfect distances from each other.

Glory

• DeviantArt
  • Learning to sketch. Slowly. Painfully.
« Reply #104 on: May 22, 2017, 04:30:53 PM »
My mother's family is from Vermont, and we drive up there every year to visit for a week. We stay at a small bed and breakfast right up the road (walking distance) from my cousins - it's almost like a second home to me at this point. It's a really old house (for the US, at least - pre-Civil War with heavy modernization) filled with antique furniture, paintings, and pianos. Out back, there's woods, with plenty of trails with poems mounted on plaques and wooden benches where you can just sit and read for hours on end. The owner used to have this lovely Maine Coon cat he would leave food out for, and it would stop by to visit us all the time. Sadly, it passed away two years ago. That house and woods would definitely be my personal dreamword. Nothing else even compares.
Survived: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: