Author Topic: Personal Dreamworld  (Read 26106 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Personal Dreamworld
« Reply #120 on: February 12, 2019, 02:42:40 PM »
A lot of us like to picture our haven as our happy alone place.  Maybe it's just a self-selection effect, that the subset of Minnions on the Forum who also are attracted to this concept all need copious alone time?

I wonder if there's anyone out there who pictures their dreamworld as a honky-tonk bar, complete with pool tables, cold beverages, music that doesn't suck, and good company?

Or like Talking Heads' "Heaven" : There is a party, everyone is there / everyone will leave at exactly the same time / It's hard to imagine that nothing at all, could be so exciting, could be this much fun / Heaven is a place where nothing ever happens...
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

peeweevireo

« Reply #121 on: February 12, 2019, 04:06:56 PM »
It's probably due to us having read ssss, since its design of a dreamworld is several alone places spread over one very, very large wilderness. Either that or you're right that we all want to be alone sometimes  :D

I wouldn't mind good company, but definitely just something like a coffee house that's 1. free and 2. safe from all the monsters. That would be helpful if you needed to use it as a base to communicate, especially in a setting like ssss. Maybe not a bar for me, though, since there might be minors (me) c:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #122 on: February 12, 2019, 10:56:36 PM »
I can imagine a nice bar or coffee shop as a meeting point.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #123 on: November 28, 2019, 09:07:35 AM »
I am 100% resurrecting a dead thread but I thought this was interesting.

Whenever I think of what my personal dreamspace would be, my mind always comes back to one place. Back in my old town there was a path down in the bush strip by the river that I used to walk just about every other day, especially in spring when the wildflowers and orchids were out. Near where a brook (a fairly large one at this point) meets the river proper there’s a log that goes out into the brook which I used to climb down every time I walked past, sitting out near the water and looking to where the brook and river meet. It’s a place that I was really familiar with and that means a lot to me - the bush and the land being the main thing I miss from my old town, and someplace that I loved to go. I don’t have any images of the exact place, but here’s some pics of the general area that I managed to find on the internet.

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/3938b5_7a42645d470d40258c5144c7dc23cd9e~mv2_d_2500_1667_s_2.jpg

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/3938b5_77805fa58b704cc4b321f989709fafde~mv2_d_2500_1667_s_2.jpg/v1/fill/w_2500,h_1667,al_c/3938b5_77805fa58b704cc4b321f989709fafde~mv2_d_2500_1667_s_2.jpg

And under the spoiler in case the images are really big:
Spoiler: show

I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Alkia

• Scout
  • any pronouns
« Reply #124 on: April 25, 2020, 06:37:54 PM »
*jumps on resurrection thread*

Ooh, KeepLooking, that sounds and looks like a lovely spot. I can imagine sitting above the water and listening to the brook flow along.

It took me a surprisingly (to me) long time to think of what my dream haven would be. Every place I thought of was very nice, but had some level of insecurity (a cabin in the woods is lonely at night, an cozy apartment with books isn’t free enough, etc.), but then I thought of the Alps. We (my family and I) took a trip to Germany two years ago and a large part of it was spent in that area. The open Alm (alpine pasture), beautiful pine forests on the sides of the mountains, blue sky, patterns of the clouds on the land, and wonderful colors of it all make it the ultimate safe dream space. The sound of all the cow bells tinkling and ringing in the distance is just so incredibly calming/comforting to me, too. 
Which is all kinda weird, because I’ve only been in the Alps once, but I guess it was a really, really happy time, and it makes me really happy whenever I remember it.

Here’s some pictures I took that express that feeling best:

Knows:🇬🇧🇩🇪
Learning:🇳🇴, 🇨🇳
Wants to learn:🇨🇮(Gaelic), 🇫🇷

:A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Róisín

« Reply #125 on: April 25, 2020, 08:58:08 PM »
Keep Looking, that area reminds me of Hay’s Paddock and Dight’s Falls, both places within a few miles of Melbourne CBD, where you could still find platypus living in the river, and rare native plants, and the magic was still in the land.

Alkia, that area too is beautiful. I especially love the ecology of the alm areas.

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #126 on: April 27, 2020, 11:41:51 PM »
I haven't posted on this thread before because it's really hard for me to choose one place. I've moved around a lot, so there are a lot of extremely different places that I feel at home in (one time after a move I somehow managed to feel homesick for four different places at once, which was a weird feeling to have). Could I cheat and have, like, a moving castle situation where one door leads to a bustling coffee shop in a city, one door leads to a grassy hill covered in wildflowers, one door leads to a tropical forested mountain overlooking a seaside town, and the last door leads to some forgotten corner of a dusty old university library?
Butter good.
Native language: :usa: | Okay at: :china: | Not very good: :mexico: | Working on: :vaticancity:, :england: (OE), :france: | Wishlist: :germany:, :iceland:, :norway:, :finland:, Shanghainese, Esperanto

:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #127 on: April 28, 2020, 02:30:00 AM »
Mebediel, I understand that feeling (also, the moving castle idea seems really cool, even if it might not work in-universe). I'm starting to feel more at home in the city after living here for a year and a bit - it's a completely different landscape even without the buildings, with the sandy soil and the scrub-covered limestone ridges, the lakes and swamps, the ocean with all its different moods and patterns (the ocean is warmer and friendlier here, and the coastline is smoother) - but as I spend more time here I get to know it more and I feel more and more comfortable (it's not as beautiful, but there's a certain something to it nonetheless). Part of me wonders whether a dreamworld would no longer be in my old town (which is full of bad memories as much as it is full of good ones), because I prefer living here. Yet whenever I go back down south, there's a part of me that yearns to stay with the tall forests and the cooler air and the tiny wildflowers in the leaf-litter and all of that which I know and love.

I miss the land far more than I miss anything else about that place (because there is so much that I don't miss).

If I were to have a dreamworld here, it'd probably be down by the ocean - near the old abandoned power plant, maybe, where there's some weird lakes with surprisingly big fish in them (used to be drainage, I think), before you follow the dunes down to the ocean and the remnants of an old grate are a bridge across the beach. Or maybe one of the weird limestoney hills (one of them has some old-growth tuart forest that's really cool) - the view is amazing and there also always seems to be some weird ruins of like, a wrecked car or some long-lost building's foundations hidden among the trees and the scrub. One time we also found a small cave.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

GaelleDragons

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Small lurking troll
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them
« Reply #128 on: June 08, 2020, 06:56:27 AM »
I couldn't find any good pictures of what my dreamspace would look like, so I decided to paint it. ^^"

Basically it's a cozy little house at the very top of a mountain in Iceland. The weird thing is, I actually saw it a few times in a dream (gonna tell about it quickly here).

In this dream I was living alone in this house and I was spending my days looking at the most beautiful scenery ever. It was like living a dream (except it wasn't real, it really was a dream lol). My house was perched so high, no one could come and disturb me, but (and this is where it gets weird because my brain is apparently incapable of making me remember nice dreams) I also could not go down the mountain, which meant that I could not go buy food and supplies. The top of the mountain wasn't fertile enough to allow crops to grow, so in the end I was left with only a small stock of food and water. The dream concluded with me dying of hunger after a few weeks. I wasn't sad though: in the end of the dream I just kind of accepted my fate and lived the happiest weeks of my life (thanks brain for sparing me the pain of starvation). And this is one of the most "normal" dreams I can remember. ^^"

I think this dream was kind of "inspired" by the ending of Into The Wild (my favorite movie ever and also a very good tear-jerker for me).

But since the dreamworld doesn't seem to care about logic or essential needs (or does it?), I guess this dreamspace could be as good as any. At least there I could enjoy spending time in this house for more than a few weeks!

Also I made a speedpaint video of the drawing above, if that's something you'd like to watch. ^^

« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 07:03:34 AM by GaelleDragons »
*always scribbling*

Native: :fr:  Fluent (but will make mistakes sometimes ^^"):  :gb:  Supposed to be fluent but is actually really bad:  :es:  Learning out of curiosity:  :is:

Róisín

« Reply #129 on: June 08, 2020, 07:42:13 AM »
What is that movie, Gaelle? I had not heard of it. A dream like that would suggest to me that the back of your mind is suggesting that you need to be more prepared than you are for something you plan to do. Any idea of what it might be?

GaelleDragons

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Small lurking troll
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them
« Reply #130 on: June 08, 2020, 05:42:41 PM »
What is that movie, Gaelle? I had not heard of it. A dream like that would suggest to me that the back of your mind is suggesting that you need to be more prepared than you are for something you plan to do. Any idea of what it might be?

Into the Wild is a beautiful road movie about a young man who decides to get out of human society to live a free life on the road and find hapiness. It's based on a true story and it carries deep messages about life and freedom. Along with absolutely stunning nature shots, there's also some beautiful songs by Eddie Vedder (the singer of Pearl Jam).
I really recommend it, but be aware tissues will come in handy near the end.  ;)

Mhh... Actually that's an interpretation of my dream I had never though of. It could make sense, because I get very stressed out when facing an upcoming change that I don't feel fully prepared for. But I'm more the type to plan too much rather than too little in most cases.
I think this dream has more to do with the "dreamer" side of my brain clashing with the "rational" side. Like, sometimes I think "Oh I'd love to live in a tiny village in the countryside", but then my rational brain tells me things like "okay but you work in the capital and you can't do 6 hours of transport a day to get there. Also there's no internet there."(that's just and example, but you get the idea ^^").
*always scribbling*

Native: :fr:  Fluent (but will make mistakes sometimes ^^"):  :gb:  Supposed to be fluent but is actually really bad:  :es:  Learning out of curiosity:  :is:

Róisín

« Reply #131 on: June 08, 2020, 06:33:34 PM »
Sounds like an interesting movie. And as someone who has lived both in tiny villages and completely alone in wilderness I can tell you that preparation and useful skills are utterly needful if you don’t want to die badly. No internet, but there are compensations, like nature, silence and time to think.

These years I live on the edge of a small town in country South Australia, which gives me the best of both worlds, and has both nature and internet, as well as a good local community.

afreude

« Reply #132 on: August 31, 2020, 10:21:26 PM »
Just don't go looking for the bus...

Róisín

« Reply #133 on: September 01, 2020, 12:33:04 AM »
Well, there used to be buses here, but with a conservative government at present the major things our town has lost are most of the public transport and the Accident and Emergency department of our town public hospital. Indeed, the buses were part of our reason for moving here. It was a compromise between husband wanting to live in the middle of a big city and me wanting to live in wilderness.

afreude

« Reply #134 on: September 01, 2020, 05:08:22 PM »
Heh, sorry the bus thing was in reference to Into the Wild.  I grew up in Alaska, so that story has been on my radar for a long time (Krakauer wrote a book about it in 1996).  After the movie came out a bunch of people went looking for the bus up by Haines but it resulted in a lot of rescues and a couple body recoveries by SAR.  Eventually the bus was relocated to an undisclosed location because it was attracting so much attention.  Here's the Wikipedia article for the book which has more info about McCandless and less info about actors: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_the_Wild_(book)

It's a bummer that public transit has lost funding in your town though.  In the US it seems like transit is chronically underfunded too; I don't really understand it, it's so good for so many people, it cuts down on traffic, and also reduces pollution especially in places that have electric and battery buses.  And you can read a book or listen to podcasts while you ride so it's a win-win.