Author Topic: Welsh?  (Read 9203 times)

ParanormalAndroid

Welsh?
« on: May 25, 2015, 08:53:23 AM »
Given that Welsh is so rare on the web and I've noticed a few users expressing their interest in it..
Are there any other Welsh speakers or learners in this community? Just curious, really, seeing as languages are such a central part of this community.
Os mae llawer o diddordeb yng Nghymraeg, wel, basai'n grêt.
It's fun to use, I'll give you that.

Some useful starter resources:
http://www.internetradiouk.com/region/wales/#bbc-radio-cymru-96-8-wenvoe (BBC Radio Cymru, broadcasting in Welsh over the internet. Fantasteg!)
(Here's a Super Furry Animals song in Welsh, so give that a listen too.)
http://www.geiriadur.net/ (Y geiriadur swyddog am Prifysgol Y Drindod Dewi Sant- mae'n eithaf sylfaenol, ond mae'n cywir iawn.)
http://geiriaduracademi.org/?lang=en (other one taken down, hoping for resurrection, this one's not bad either)
(Watch this space- I'll try to find more stuff.)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 05:32:36 AM by ParanormalAndroid »

Jade Stormsilver

• Super-Newbie
Re: Welsh?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 12:20:11 AM »
I think it's a beautiful language and would love to learn it... but alas and alack, there is no one here to teach me! I have a couple of words from some books I've devoured, but that's it for me.
Dreamers and Weavers,
Lovers, Believers,
Curious creatures
Who peer through the Dark.

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 03:40:09 AM »
I think it's a beautiful language and would love to learn it... but alas and alack, there is no one here to teach me! I have a couple of words from some books I've devoured, but that's it for me.
Well, I'm fairly fluent if a bit rusty, and there's another user here called Gwenno who's completely fluent- look her up. Always nice to see someone interested in our tiny, weird language.
Hoffet ti siarad Gymraeg? Wych? Fodd bynnag, mae'n eithaf caled i siarad gyda pobl, ond byddyn ni'n helpu'r ti.

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 05:44:49 AM »
Well, I'm fairly fluent if a bit rusty, and there's another user here called Gwenno who's completely fluent- look her up. Always nice to see someone interested in our tiny, weird language.

Eyup! My name was called and I appear it seems…. There's another Welsh girl on the forum as well, but she hasn't been active for a while, Laufeysdottir I think it was.

If you genuinely want to learn Welsh I may be able to help a little bit, at least directing towards useful resources and possibly looking over any work you attempt. I worked as a Welsh teacher for a short while, as well as a language assistant so for once I actually DO know what I'm talking about. I don't have that much time to spend on the forum so don't expect anything fantastic, but it always makes me glad when people are interested in our lovely little language and I like to help where I can ^_^

For more advanced speakers wanting to practice I'd also be okay exchanging messages, but same rules apply, I don't have that much forum time so there will be times where I can't reply for days, that's just how it is time-wise  :P
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 07:01:38 AM »
TL;DR, Gwenno is far more qualified to do anything involving Welsh than I am, but I suppose I'm available for basic stuff.

Jade Stormsilver

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 05:03:56 PM »
I don't have that much time to spend on the forum

Ha! Same here! Honestly I need to be packing right now. Or job hunting. And being a student is so time consuming (when you're serious about it!).

If you genuinely want to learn Welsh I may be able to help a little bit, at least directing towards useful resources

I really would like to learn, though.
Dreamers and Weavers,
Lovers, Believers,
Curious creatures
Who peer through the Dark.

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 09:19:51 PM »
I think Welsh is really interesting. I wish I had time for serious study but I am just a passive/lazy learner for now. (Although for fun I taught myself how to sing the first two verses of Sosban fach... I have weird hobbies...)
Know: :usa:
Learning: :japan: :sweden: :finland: :wales:
Somewhat forgot: :mexico: :germany: :southkorea:

:hat: :betterhat:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Krisse Kovacs

• Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 09:38:36 PM »
I have never heard welsh ever, and when I saw it written, it seemed like keyboardsmashes. Well, this was my first expression on it, I am not interested to learn it but can you get some video or sound examples, because I would like to hear how it actually sounds like!
can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20:

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 05:33:19 AM »
Auleliel: Welsh is definitely an interesting language, and learning songs is a good way to familiarise yourself with pronunciation! Also, Wales has historically been a very musical country.

Martti: The best place to listen to fluent Welsh is here: http://www.internetradiouk.com/mobile/region/wales/ (BBC Radio Cymru is the official nationwide station, but I'm sure others broadcast in Welsh too.

Krisse Kovacs

• Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 11:54:29 AM »
Martti: The best place to listen to fluent Welsh is here: http://www.internetradiouk.com/mobile/region/wales/ (BBC Radio Cymru is the official nationwide station, but I'm sure others broadcast in Welsh too.

thanks! I'll check it out!
can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20:

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 12:34:53 PM »
thanks! I'll check it out!
Not a problem in the least, nice to see someone showing an interest in my tiny country's language.

Crowfeatherwolf

• Super-Newbie
  • Hello from the other end of the world.
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 06:54:04 AM »
Hello, I'm going to be studying in Cardiff after the summer, and I'm hoping to enroll in Welsh 1.

I was wondering if you could describe how to properly make the "ll" sound, cause I'm saying it like a "hrrr" at the moment. I was also wondering about how "Y" works, and what "^" does to things.
I'm only OK at recognizing written Welsh because I took a Lit class on the Celtic countries in general, but I got to read the Mabinogion and Melog in it, so I'm hoping that is a good-ish base, along with bands like Y Bandanna, and Sŵnami (I don't think I'll ever be able to spell that right without looking, I'm too used to Tsunami).
On that note, are there a lot of English/borrowed words that get whatever "romanized" is in Welsh, and where I can look up their spellings?
Speaks: :usa:
:japan: (5 years study)
Learning: :wales:
Wants to learn: :finland: :ireland: :germany:
Chinese Traditional, Arabic, any calligraphic language (I'm more into writing than speaking)

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 07:02:29 AM »
Hello, I'm going to be studying in Cardiff after the summer, and I'm hoping to enroll in Welsh 1.

I was wondering if you could describe how to properly make the "ll" sound, cause I'm saying it like a "hrrr" at the moment. I was also wondering about how "Y" works, and what "^" does to things.
I'm only OK at recognizing written Welsh because I took a Lit class on the Celtic countries in general, but I got to read the Mabinogion and Melog in it, so I'm hoping that is a good-ish base, along with bands like Y Bandanna, and Sŵnami (I don't think I'll ever be able to spell that right without looking, I'm too used to Tsunami).
On that note, are there a lot of English/borrowed words that get whatever "romanized" is in Welsh, and where I can look up their spellings?
Trying to phonetically spell Welsh is difficult, actually.
The "ll" sound is almost like "lluh"- lisp the "ll", but it's a rough lisp.
"Y" in what context?
The "^" is a tor: placed over a vowel, it elongates the vowel sound.
The old literature is definitely a good place to start, although I'd recommend more contemporary work too, as Welsh has changed quite a lot since the old days. As for music, listen to some of the Super Furry Animals, Gruff Rhys, etc.
Also, if you want to listen to Welsh in context, listen to the Internet Radio here: http://www.internetradiouk.com/region/wales/#bbc-radio-cymru-96-8-wenvoe
I don't know if that was much help, but send me a PM if you want anything else and I'll try to help. Great that you're showing such an interest though.
(Also, what do you mean by "romanised"?)

Dane Murgen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • wannabe polyglot
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them/Their
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 07:12:25 AM »
(Also, what do you mean by "romanised"?)

I think crowfeather means  that the English words have been transliterated into Welsh eg bus--> bws or taxi--> tacsi (or at least I think that's how you spell it) (also, don't mind me I'm just trying to explain stuff. I really like Welsh, but I don't think I want to push my language wish list too far. I already have seventeen languages in it now!)
A life without death is a life not worth living.

Survived: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11:

Speaks+reads: :newzealand:
Speaks: :philippines:
Barely reads: :france:
Can read a few sentences: :china:
Want to learn: twelve other languages, *sigh*

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2015, 07:16:01 AM »
I think crowfeather means  that the English words have been transliterated into Welsh eg bus--> bws or taxi--> tacsi (or at least I think that's how you spell it) (also, don't mind me I'm just trying to explain stuff. I really like Welsh, but I don't think I want to push my language wish list too far. I already have seventeen languages in it now!)
Ah, thanks.
Well, Crowfeather: with "bws", "tacsi", etc, you'll find they're mostly relatively modern words that were Welshified (that isn't a word, but run with it) at some point after the Act of Union (grr). Generally pronunciation is phonetic, so they're not so bad.
(also, you can never have too many languages, Dane)