General > General Discussion Board

The Science Thread

(1/14) > >>

Noodles:

--- Quote from: DancingRanger on April 21, 2015, 09:00:55 PM ---I'm Matt, I also want/am studying to become an Aerospace engineer. If you'd like to discuss feel free to shoot me a PM, I don't bite and I do enjoy good talks.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: BreezeLouise on April 21, 2015, 11:58:55 AM ---Hi. I'm some chick from Michigan that wants to become an aerospace engineer and/or a pilot. I like reading and writing a bunch, and I play bass (poorly). Aside from science and aviation, music is easily my biggest passion.

--- End quote ---
whaaaaaaat there are so many other people who also want to be rocket scientists/pilots/whatever here (SpaceX just opened a Seattle office, and I was ridiculously excited) (also have you *seen* the postage stamp they're trying to land their first-stage on??? I am *so impressed* that they've managed to hit it both times!)
this is insane

BreezeLouise:
Oh my gosh, really? I think this might literally be the largest number of aerospace enthusiasts I've seen in one forum.

Like I was telling Matt in PM, I'm more into the aeronautical side of it, if you want to know the truth. (Specifically jet engines and stuff. Fluid dynamics is so cool~)

That being said, rockets are still awesome. Not sure if this is the same thing, but I was watching some of that Grasshopper stuff. It was really cool, I was amazed how stable they got it to be. If that's not it, though, you should totally find a link or something! I'd be interested in checking it out.

Noodles:
Like the Grasshopper, but on a ship that is trying VERY HARD to stay in one place. Specifically, an autonomous spaceport drone ship. (that name is just too awesome)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_spaceport_drone_ship
Also, see the yellow line? That's how big the landing legs are. The white line is the space it has to land in to not tip the thing over. O.O *continues fangirling*

BreezeLouise:
Yeesh, no kidding? That's seriously impressive. (Also, that really is a cool name. xD) That reminds me a bit of that one NASA rover with the crazy advanced landing system. From what I hear, a lot of them were even surprised how well it worked.

Back to the rocket, thou, I'm actually not too familiar with SpaceX. I honestly just know them for the Grasshopper. I'm gonna have to do some Google surfing later.

Noodles:
Gooooo, surf! their website is really neat! Are you talking about Curiosity's sky crane? (because that is totally awesome and stuffs)
The barge-landings haven't succeeded yet, they keep falling over when they hit the barge and exploding (the barge is still OK though). :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version