Author Topic: Welcome to Night Vale, anyone?  (Read 12957 times)

Sadoka

• Musician and Engineer
Re: Welcome to Night Vale, anyone?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2015, 12:05:31 AM »
I am by no means caught up, but just want to say that the Apache Tracker is my favorite character.  His stoic, heroic, semi-offensive Native American Russian persona places him high in the ranks for me!  Also, his heroic sacrifice at the bowling alley keeps him solidly in the top spot.

A cool thing to do is to look up all of his lines, only translated.  I was surprised a lot by what he was actually saying.
Native:   :usa:    |  Still Learning:   :germany:    |  Wishlist:   :norway:

Joined (and survived):   :chap4:
Survivor:   :chap5:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 01:03:17 AM »
I am by no means caught up, but just want to say that the Apache Tracker is my favorite character.  His stoic, heroic, semi-offensive Native American Russian persona places him high in the ranks for me!  Also, his heroic sacrifice at the bowling alley keeps him solidly in the top spot.

A cool thing to do is to look up all of his lines, only translated.  I was surprised a lot by what he was actually saying.
As someone who speaks Russian, it wasn't really a surprise for me :)
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 06:32:26 AM »
Thanks to everyone who pointed me to this! I just listened to the first episode and am now pondering if I can delay my poor neglected responsibilities for another twenty minutes...

The creepy but calm atmosphere is really fascinating and there are so many creative ideas in these "announcements".
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

kahli

• Scout
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2015, 10:42:12 AM »
Ooo! I like Night Vale!  ;D I haven't listened to all the episodes yet though. I'm still on something like #13... :-\ I should start listening again...
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
Chapter break survivor: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2015, 11:27:17 AM »
Thanks to everyone who pointed me to this! I just listened to the first episode and am now pondering if I can delay my poor neglected responsibilities for another twenty minutes...

The creepy but calm atmosphere is really fascinating and there are so many creative ideas in these "announcements".
Of course you can, Fen Shen! There's 66 more episodes to go through! It only gets better after the first episode, trust me. Cecil kind of settles into his character more and we get to know him a little better, too.

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2015, 01:43:05 PM »
Hehe, I already listened to the next two episodes while doing the dishes and cooking. I guess I'll volunteer for more household tasks in the next days...  ;D
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2015, 02:01:34 PM »
Hehe, I already listened to the next two episodes while doing the dishes and cooking. I guess I'll volunteer for more household tasks in the next days...  ;D
When I started listening I was working at this job where there was a lot of very repetitive computer things involved, and thankfully the supervisors didn't care at all if people listened to music or whatever, so I caught up really fast by listening through the episodes at work.

Aprillen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Grade D Human
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2015, 03:37:31 PM »
I was doing some very boring scrubbing of balcony floor segments outside today, and it got fairly bearable by being combined with catching up on WtNV! Only one or two eps left now... (and some bonus ep I think)
Native language: :se: Fluent in: :gb: Can fake it in: :no:  :dk: Very badly: :fr: :es:

Chapter break survivor:
:artd:

:book1+:
:book2:
:book3:
:book4:
:A2chap01:

Stefanyeah

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2015, 05:05:33 PM »
I love WTNV! But yeah, explaining it to someone is not really easy. It's like a radio play that pretends to be a radio broadcast from a town in the desert and all kinds of weird stuff happens… Especially when you tell your colleagues randomly that angels and the knowledge about their hierachy is illegal you'll have to make them understand. (They know I'm a weirdo, so they're just mildly confused. :P )

And since I'm also a Jason Webley fan the weather and live episodes held some nice surprises for me. *flails*

I saw them in Berlin. Thankfully, the crew had managed the only train from Munich to Berlin that day since the thrains were on strike. It was amazing. :D And I got me a photo with Cecil with a photobombing by Jeffrey Cranor. :P
:germany: native
:uk: fluent
:netherlands: rusty

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2015, 05:32:48 PM »
I'm curious, those of you in Europe, how did you find listening to WTNV as a non-native English speaker? (Technically I should count myself in that group also, but I live in an english-speaking country so I feel like it's a bit different? Sorry if I've offended anyone with this question...)

I know there's a lot of play or words and figurative language and references to stuff, so I wonder how that translates to a different culture
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 05:35:34 PM by Solovei »

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2015, 05:38:22 PM »
I'm curious, those of you in Europe, how did you find listening to WTNV as a non-native English speaker? (Technically I should count myself in that group also, but I live in an english-speaking country so I feel like it's a bit different? Sorry if I've offended anyone with this question...)

I know there's a lot of play or words and figurative language and references to stuff, so I wonder how that translates to a different culture
I find it pretty easy, BUT as a scandinavian I'm more than used to everything on TV Not Being Dubbed. I mean, it's definitely easier for me to catch podcast english than, say, the danish lecturer......... or even a lot of norwegian people with not-even-that-thick dialects.............

references are a bit hard to catch, though. Mostly I won't even know it's a reference? they did actually reference norwegian pop-culture at the oslo show, though, which was pretty amazing
you'll know where to find me.

Stefanyeah

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2015, 06:43:21 PM »
My head's a jumbled mess of German and English most of the time and I'm used to watching a few BBC productions. So it's not quite unusual listening to someone talking in English. Also, I don't translate English most of the time anymore.

I don't know about references though. I might miss some, but I won't even notice I did until I find some website or blog pointing them out.

Non-dubbed TV… Lucky you. I was shocked to discover that my Doctor Who and Sherlock DVDs even came without subtiltles, but only English audio. Whereas the Dark Knight DVD a Dutch friend send me comes with Dutch subtitles, German subtitles and even German audio…
:germany: native
:uk: fluent
:netherlands: rusty

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2015, 09:02:31 PM »
This is timely.

Went to the live show in Oakland last night.  XD  But my just-turned 16yo is the big fan here.  She was starry-eyed through the whole thing.
native:  :usa:
learning:  :finland: :germany:
dabbling, exactly like a duck:  :sweden:

taking the long road to comic comprehension

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2015, 09:23:43 PM »
This is timely.

Went to the live show in Oakland last night.  XD  But my just-turned 16yo is the big fan here.  She was starry-eyed through the whole thing.
Ooooh how was it? Please tell us EVERYTHING.

Wolfram

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2015, 08:56:51 AM »

It was not an issue while listening to the podcast because you can always rewind, but during the live show in Paris it was a little more difficult

Native: ....:france:
Understand: :uk:
Learning: ..:poland:

:chap7: newbie