Author Topic: Welcome to Night Vale, anyone?  (Read 12716 times)

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
Re: Welcome to Night Vale, anyone?
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2015, 05:29:17 PM »
Yay more Night Vale fans! My friend and I were spectulating the other day about how Night Vale would exist in the world of SSSS.

I just listened to yesterday's episode (68)

Spoiler: show
The return of Kevin, Cecil's vacation, the new radio statio, and Cecil's possible move. What does it all mean? Also if Cecil can go there and back, how come Carlos doesn't come back with him? Something is very fishy... But I'm also so happy they finaly got to see each other again :D
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2015, 05:35:19 PM »
Yay more Night Vale fans! My friend and I were spectulating the other day about how Night Vale would exist in the world of SSSS.

I just listened to yesterday's episode (68)

The return of Kevin, Cecil's vacation, the new radio statio, and Cecil's possible move. What does it all mean? Also if Cecil can go there and back, how come Carlos doesn't come back with him? Something is very fishy... But I'm also so happy they finaly got to see each other again :D

Well the 3rd anniversary of the show is coming up in... *checks calendar* exactly a month, and you know they always have HUGE GIANT WHAM STUFF happening on the anniversary episodes - I have a feeling that whatever will happen this year will somehow involve
 Janice and the opera house. I know it seems like Kevin is being set up to be the villain again, but it might be like what happened with the Election subplot before - a red herring that distracted from the actual plotline, then quickly shoved under the carpet XD.
I think maybe that's why I like WTNV so much, the writing doesn't really let you guess very easily at what will happen - so many movies and other media now, once you get a little ways in, you can kind of guess how the story will go because you're given all the pieces and, as lifelong consumers of media, we already know how they fit together. I have never yet been able to predict what will happen on WTNV.
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Pyrite

• What? No. Try again later.
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2015, 05:48:11 PM »
Hi! I've been a fan of Night Vale for a while, but I've never really done any speculation on events and such. I've always pretty much gone with the flow of the show.
Believe in yourself. You are an ancient, absent god, discussed only rarely by literary scholars. So if you don't believe, no-one will.
<<Tumblr | Flight Rising>>

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2015, 10:19:09 PM »
My friend and I were speculating the other day about how Night Vale would exist in the world of SSSS.

Hello! I'm the previously mentioned friend, and now I can't get this idea out of my head.

Warning: Wild fanatical speculation ahead  :P

Even though it's hot in the desert, I think a small community could survive there. I don't live in a desert, but I do believe that it can get pretty cold there at night, and there wouldn't be too much shelter to build nests. There are also likely going to be fewer mammals (and I think mammals are the only animals that get infected?) in the desert when compared to, say, a forest, so the ones that do become infected might move to other areas. And we know that Night Vale is a "small desert community", presumably far from any city. So, it might not be too insane to think that a town like Night Vale could survive. Plus, the inhabitants are so crazy, what's an apocalyptic infection to add to the list?
...I have no idea how to end a post in a non-awkward way.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2016, 09:40:20 AM »
All hail the Glow Cloud.

That is all.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

ginger

• Scout
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2016, 02:11:29 PM »
HOW AM I ONLY JUST NOW FINDING THIS THREAD?!

:D

I'm so far beyond the current WTNV episodes but I have a great love for it and need to catch up soon. And it turns out Cecil Baldwin is apparently a friend of a friend so there's a possibility that I could encounter him irl one day. It happened that I was in the same city as a live show but was unable to attend, because I was there to do some choral music and was in rehearsal during the show.

Also, when I was in New York City they did a live show in my hometown. :') We just traded places, I suppose.
:usa: :france:
Avatar courtesy of the impeccable mith!

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2016, 02:12:41 PM »

:D

I'm so far beyond the current WTNV episodes but I have a great love for it and need to catch up soon. And it turns out Cecil Baldwin is apparently a friend of a friend so there's a possibility that I could encounter him irl one day. It happened that I was in the same city as a live show but was unable to attend, because I was there to do some choral music and was in rehearsal during the show.

Also, when I was in New York City they did a live show in my hometown. :') We just traded places, I suppose.

It is my life goal right now to see them live. Ahhhh come back to canadaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! *flails at night vale*
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2016, 03:20:59 PM »

Because before today, the last post was 10 months ago. I know that because it was my post (my 5th post :O)

That's really cool about Cecil Baldwin being a friend of a friend! I got to go backstage after a showing of Beauty and the Beast on Broadway for the same reason!

*joins in flailing for another North America tour*
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2016, 11:12:30 PM »
Personally, my favorite bits were some of the earlier episodes, a bit before Strexcorp. Decent sound quality, and very, very creepy. Triptych, though, shows promise that Nightvale can remain just as creepy 70 or so episodes in.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2016, 11:50:37 PM »
Personally, my favorite bits were some of the earlier episodes, a bit before Strexcorp. Decent sound quality, and very, very creepy. Triptych, though, shows promise that Nightvale can remain just as creepy 70 or so episodes in.

Ohhhh yes, Triptych sent chills down my spine. I do hope they continue to be as creatively creepy as they were in the early days, especially since it seems we've begun gearing up for the next anniversary episode.

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

OwlsG0

• I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2016, 03:16:57 AM »
I saw one of their live shows recently in Australia. They were all phenomenal, of course, but I could not get over how tiny Cecil Baldwin is in the flesh. Nor how perfect the round halo of his shiny pate looks under stage-lights

All hail the Glow Cloud indeed
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2016, 05:04:44 AM »
I just listened to Episode 83 (One Normal Town) and I think it might have been inspired by actual current events. I don't know how prevalent the European refugee crisis is in news and discussions in the US. But in our current situation, for me it felt like it was directly written in that regard.

"When confronted with someone whose “normal” is not our “normal,” we are forced to confront the most frightening prospect of all: that there is no such thing as “normal.” Just the accidental cultural moment we happened to be born into, a cultural happenstance that never existed before, and will never exist again." (Citation from the transcription)

Now I'm trying hard to think of other examples in which WTNV took up a political position somehow, but can't really fix an episode.
Do you remember any?
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

OwlsG0

« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2016, 05:25:57 AM »
I just listened to Episode 83 (One Normal Town) and I think it might have been inspired by actual current events. I don't know how prevalent the European refugee crisis is in news and discussions in the US. But in our current situation, for me it felt like it was directly written in that regard.

"When confronted with someone whose “normal” is not our “normal,” we are forced to confront the most frightening prospect of all: that there is no such thing as “normal.” Just the accidental cultural moment we happened to be born into, a cultural happenstance that never existed before, and will never exist again." (Citation from the transcription)

Now I'm trying hard to think of other examples in which WTNV took up a political position somehow, but can't really fix an episode.
Do you remember any?

Not really, apart from vague hints across the series to xenophobia. For example, the time there was a circus in town and the Night Valians chased them off with torches, and the on-going thing with Desert Bluffs (though that phobia proved rational).
Also, the show's absolute refusal to exclude POC and LGBTQ characters. They've always been a very inclusive show, you know? I wouldn't be surprised if there are things we're both missing about the Night Vale team's politics
I saw the future.

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2016, 05:42:23 AM »
Also, the show's absolute refusal to exclude POC and LGBTQ characters. They've always been a very inclusive show, you know? I wouldn't be surprised if there are things we're both missing about the Night Vale team's politics

Night Vale itself probably has a reason for why they don't have the usual American baggage for LGBT people. Kinda sad when a town of Eldritch Abomination is more accepting than your own. :P
Also, refresh my memory on what POC means?

OwlsG0

« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2016, 05:44:37 AM »
Night Vale itself probably has a reason for why they don't have the usual American baggage for LGBT people. Kinda sad when a town of Eldritch Abomination is more accepting than your own. :P
Also, refresh my memory on what POC means?

Person Of Colour

They even changed Carlos's voice actor to his current one, Dylan Marron, when they figured out their fandom had head-canoned Carlos as Latino.

I guess when some people are literally disembodied adult male hands, you just don't freak out about the little things like sexuality?
I saw the future.