General > General Discussion Board

Travel Stories and Advice

(1/23) > >>

Ruby:
So! Tonight in the comments the Minnions were hot on the topic of travel, and several people expressed interest in having a place on the forums to swap stories and advice. Well, here it is! Feel free to share cool stories, seek advice, or just talk about places you want to go! *coughNordiccountriescough*

I'll kick this off! When I was five, my family decided to move to Guatemala for three months. We stayed with a family in Antigua between February and April, and also sallied forth to Panama and a few other destinations.

One of the perks of traveling during the tourist-off season--I'm pretty sure I was the only little blond girl in all of Antigua. I had a remarkable amount of freedom to rome the city, because everyone knew who I belonged to, so it was almost impossible to get lost.

My parents placed me in the local grade school in an effort to get me to learn spanish. Unfortunately for them, my class was just starting to learn english and the teacher was THRILLED to have a fluent english speaking kid playing and talking with the other students. I pretty much survived the entire trip knowing only the words for "please", "thank you", "lunch", and smiling charmingly at adults. ;)

Fen Shen:
Ooh, travel stories and travel advice - what a good idea!

Thanks to my parents, I've been around in lots of places in Europe. Later, I was also in Thailand and in Sri Lanka. The latter was my most best holiday month ever - I was travelling on a pretty tight budget, but with a friend whose father comes from Sri Lanka so the people where incredibly welcoming. And the island is just so beautiful and diverse...

Since April is my last free month before I start to work "like an adult", I'm planning two short trips: by ferry to Göteborg and four days in Madrid.
Any recommendations on these cities? Things I shouldn't miss? :)

Chizu:
Vienna! Tis such a beautiful City, they have one of the most gorgeous and rich libraries, the Gothic churches, the gardens...everything. It is also a very clean place..

You've been to Sri Lanka? Oh I am going there for 6 weeks next summer on a work placement, I am really excited.

Sparky Dragon:
Ah, a travel thread! I've traveled across the continent of North America both length and width-wise (Alaska to Florida, through Canada)...I've been to the Czech Republic...and I've been to the Frankfurt airport. Also, I've lived in hotels for up to three months at a time. So, if you need American hotel recommendations, I'm your dragon.

But where I REALLY want to go is northern Europe.

mithrysc:

--- Quote from: Sparky Dragon on April 02, 2015, 09:38:00 AM ---But where I REALLY want to go is northern Europe.

--- End quote ---

^that. Maybe I'm just an obsessed fan, but even before SSSS Ireland and Iceland were both places I'd really love to travel too.

I've been to a lot of places around the United States (my family likes visiting National Parks), and it was even better when we went off-season. Downsides were that some places were closed, but hey, less people and less expensive. Top places include those with forests, mountains, or rocky shores and waves. (I like the ocean, but not beaches wherein you can't see the beach for the people.)

We went to Quebec City once, and that was sort of where my language learning inclination really started because I couldn't understand anything not in English, and there was so much that wasn't that I might know if I knew something other than English. I had a game of trying to figure out what things were from my knowledge of Latin/ English.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version