Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 828821 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #5040 on: July 15, 2017, 12:23:01 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, you guys rock.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5041 on: August 22, 2017, 10:52:43 PM »
(Following from what apparently was the last post) also, thank you for your patience.  Chap. 32 of the ongoing story is posted: http://archiveofourown.org/works/6610714/chapters/15125563
Jón rejoins the story, and they all proceed to the Øresund Bridge, but alas, it is still munted. 
This chapter had to be split for length, so I should finish polishing and posting the second half as chap. 33 soon.

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #5042 on: August 22, 2017, 11:42:55 PM »
(Following from what apparently was the last post) also, thank you for your patience.  Chap. 32 of the ongoing story is posted: http://archiveofourown.org/works/6610714/chapters/15125563
Jón rejoins the story, and they all proceed to the Øresund Bridge, but alas, it is still munted. 
This chapter had to be split for length, so I should finish polishing and posting the second half as chap. 33 soon.

I am intrigued, and also fairly certain that the team is in no way safe at the moment.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #5043 on: August 23, 2017, 09:29:28 AM »
I am intrigued, and also fairly certain that the team is in no way safe at the moment.

Indeed.

I'm rather interested in how Jon traveled so far north so quickly.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #5044 on: August 23, 2017, 09:32:08 AM »
Indeed.

My headcanon (probably separate from wavewright's) is that the presence of superpowers allowed the Regnum to expand much farther north and/or allowed them to tame the Wastes, so it's relatively speaking not as far to travel.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5045 on: August 23, 2017, 05:33:33 PM »
Indeed.

It hasn't been quickly, really.  The unit was in Switzerland in early autumn (Septemberish), and it's now winter (not all that far in, Decemberish).

My headcanon (probably separate from wavewright's) is that the presence of superpowers allowed the Regnum to expand much farther north and/or allowed them to tame the Wastes, so it's relatively speaking not as far to travel.

Off-camera, so to speak - Jón is attached to a small unit of mercenaries doing reconnaissance work (his employers are unnamed, but can be viewed as either the Regnum, or the Duke of Helvetia on his own behalf, or double-dipping from more than one duchy, those politics are not really in the scope of this work and the author reserves the right to wave her hands about vaguely over the question), this northern part of Europe is not (yet) anywhere near the Regnum proper.  These Wastes (which is a damn good name for the area, thank you for that) are certainly not tamed, as the Danes learnt to their detriment 10 years ago. 
The mercenaries have horses and experience in travelling in these areas.  Jón split off from the main group to investigate when Grim called his attention to the presence of the crew in the tank.  He was not allowed a horse, but otherwise the leadership of the mercenaries, such as it is, let him go.  After all, he is useful, but if the damn fool wants to go off by himself & get killed, well, more share of the pay packet (and incidental undeclared personal plunder) for them.  He was given a general idea of where the unit was going and left to it.
Spoiler: "really truly an actual spoiler" • show
The unit is not headed toward Copenhagen, and they are not in pursuit.  They have business elsewhere. 
Sorry. 

How Jón accomplishes his rendezvous - well, that is a question, isn't it?
Ragnarok is more in control of Jón/Arbet's character development, but this is the time before the unknown cataclysm, and an AU to boot.  He has some skills in alchemy but is not as skilled as we see him post-cataclysm and in the Y96 adventure. 
Spoiler: show
The exposure to superpowers, well, I'll leave it to Ragnarok whether this is a thing he forgets along with everything else in the cataclysm.  AU logic rules apply, YMMV.

That event is still in his future, and he still has a role to play here.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 05:36:05 PM by wavewright62 »

Solokov

« Reply #5046 on: August 23, 2017, 08:36:06 PM »
It hasn't been quickly, really.  The unit was in Switzerland in early autumn (Septemberish), and it's now winter (not all that far in, Decemberish).

Off-camera, so to speak - Jón is attached to a small unit of mercenaries doing reconnaissance work (his employers are unnamed, but can be viewed as either the Regnum, or the Duke of Helvetia on his own behalf, or double-dipping from more than one duchy, those politics are not really in the scope of this work and the author reserves the right to wave her hands about vaguely over the question), this northern part of Europe is not (yet) anywhere near the Regnum proper.  These Wastes (which is a damn good name for the area, thank you for that) are certainly not tamed, as the Danes learnt to their detriment 10 years ago. 
The mercenaries have horses and experience in travelling in these areas.  Jón split off from the main group to investigate when Grim called his attention to the presence of the crew in the tank.  He was not allowed a horse, but otherwise the leadership of the mercenaries, such as it is, let him go.  After all, he is useful, but if the damn fool wants to go off by himself & get killed, well, more share of the pay packet (and incidental undeclared personal plunder) for them.  He was given a general idea of where the unit was going and left to it.
Spoiler: "really truly an actual spoiler" • show
The unit is not headed toward Copenhagen, and they are not in pursuit.  They have business elsewhere. 
Sorry. 

How Jón accomplishes his rendezvous - well, that is a question, isn't it?
Ragnarok is more in control of Jón/Arbet's character development, but this is the time before the unknown cataclysm, and an AU to boot.  He has some skills in alchemy but is not as skilled as we see him post-cataclysm and in the Y96 adventure. 
The exposure to superpowers, well, I'll leave it to Ragnarok whether this is a thing he forgets along with everything else in the cataclysm.  AU logic rules apply, YMMV.

That event is still in his future, and he still has a role to play here.

Getting serious G-man vibes from you on this wavewright.

regardless, if you think you can use Strelock in this AU you're welcome to use her.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #5047 on: August 23, 2017, 10:43:56 PM »
Hey, I was wondering: would people mind if we posted OCs here (and could we get a mod to rename the thread to reflect it)? Because I have a few ideas, including characters that actually would fit the SI model.

Spoiler: existence of Arbet- hes not really an SI • show

TBH, I wasn't all that comfortable sharing much about myself...so 90% of Arbet is made up and has little to do with me.

If yes to the first question, will post a few ideas here.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5048 on: August 24, 2017, 03:33:45 AM »
Hey, I was wondering: would people mind if we posted OCs here (and could we get a mod to rename the thread to reflect it)? Because I have a few ideas, including characters that actually would fit the SI model.

Spoiler: existence of Arbet- hes not really an SI • show

TBH, I wasn't all that comfortable sharing much about myself...so 90% of Arbet is made up and has little to do with me.

If yes to the first question, will post a few ideas here.

From Haiz' original FAQ about the SI concept:
"- Does my character have to be exactly like me? Are there any ground rules I should follow?
No, most people have characters merely based on themself. Some characters are more autobiographical than others, some are steering into more OC (Original Character) territory. And some characters - like trolls - are just 'sonas, not self-inserts. (but if you want to make a biographical trollsona, go ahead!)

we never talked about any rules, but there seems to be a consensus that your character should fit into the established SSSS-verse. Of course, there are limits to what we know of the SSSS-verse, especially when it comes to mages and the dreamworld... no harm in trying, though."

So why not post OCs?  That fits well within the ethos of the Forum and what we're doing here, no need even for a separate or renamed thread.  (I just realised - *I'm* a mod now, so this is policy?  Meep.)  If somehow the trend reignites, we can split off pure OCs into their own thread later.

Spoiler: "self-righteous twaddle" • show
That said, I may have been the only one with a genuinely fat SI, in fact a fat dumpy middle-aged curmudgeon - exactly like someone I could name.  *hides mirror*  Only I'm not as corrupt as Helle-Mai.

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #5049 on: August 24, 2017, 06:38:28 PM »
Okay, here are three OCs I put together, all drawing off of the stuff I started for Arbet's background.

Fritsche Josef
Hair color/style: brown/cropped.
Eye color: Blue
Height: 5’6.
Build: Wiry.
Languages: German, some Italian
Distinguishing features: Generally has 'fresh out of boot camp’ appearance. Brand of eagle on right shoulder.
Background: Conscripted by the Band of the Red Falcon (a professional mercenary group given privilege to operate by the Empire in a manner close to an actual military) at 19. Deserted with Albrecht because he was on sentry duty that day and begged to come along. A fair shot and good with bayonet, but actively hates hurting people. Somewhat pious.
Equipment: A bolt-action rifle (think Kar98k) with spike bayonet (trench spike with a lug for mounting it over the grip). A short sword, and a couple of incendiary grenades. A golden cross on a steel chain.
Clothes: Wears a grey greatcoat with dark clothing underneath. Has a heavy pack w/bedroll, also dark.

Albrecht Salier
Hair color/style: Red-brown, cut short.
Eye color: Black
Height: 6’0
Build: Heavy.
Languages: German, Italian, some Latin
Distinguishing features: Brand of eagle on right shoulder. Tattoo of red falcon on right forearm. Burn scars on left cheek and eye, blind on left side.
Background: Mercenary and sociopath. Got in an argument with a superior officer over a woman, which ended with the officer dead and Albrecht in the brig. Escaped, killed most of the Band of the Red Falcon’s command staff, and stole a great deal of their payroll on his way out. Allowed Fritsche to accompany him as a Morality Pet.
Recognizes he is sociopathic, relies on others to provide moral guidance. Naythiest (believes in God, doesn't think he's worth worshipping).
Very good at killing, not so much anything else.
Equipment: A bolt-action rifle identical to Fritsche’s, though considerably more battered. Bayonet in similar condition. A few fragmentation and incendiary grenades. A hand axe.
Clothes: Similarly to Fritsche, but pack and bedroll are smaller.

Kerecse ‘Farman’ Buzad
Hair color/style: Black, dyed dark green, wild & unkempt
Eye color: Light brown, edging on yellow
Height: 6’3
Build: Thin.
Languages: Hungarian, German, Greek, Italian, some Arabic, Serbian.
Distinguishing features: Massive unkempt beard. Moss growing in and dying hair. Missing first knuckle of ring finger on left hand, and pinky finger on right hand.
Background: Is either completely batshit insane or the greatest traveler of his age. Has claimed to have traveled as far as Constantinople. Has claimed to have eaten 'fresh troll’.
Regardless, is an extremely powerful biomancer. As in, stays in the Wastes among a grove of fruit trees and growing greenery, and nothing dares approach kind of powerful.
Rather unhinged, in a harmless way. Makes frequent odd references. Refers to Fritsche as 'Morality Pet’. Refuses to teach Conrad magic on the grounds of 'not becoming the Obi-Wan of the group’.
On the list of actual feats, hit a giant with a tree. Then used said tree to launch said giant at a demonically-empowered cultist.
Currently accompanying the group because 'I want to see that cat fellow up north’.
Equipment: A long wooden staff, and a curved knife.
Clothes: Tattered camouflage-pattern robes, no shoes. A really nice tricorn hat.

Solokov

« Reply #5050 on: August 24, 2017, 07:12:38 PM »
A druid, a ranger and a bard walk into a bar.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,

Keeper

• Ranger
  • Child of the Sun
« Reply #5051 on: August 24, 2017, 09:20:07 PM »
Fascinating. Those guys are characters in every sense of the word.   ;D
:chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :book4:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Mark my words, it's not quite what you thought.

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #5052 on: August 24, 2017, 09:51:11 PM »
Here's another.

Conrad von Schurburg
Hair color/style: Black/shaved short
Eye color: Green
Height: 5’9
Build: Muscular
Languages: German, Italian, some Latin
Distinguishing features: goatee.
Background: The third son of a knight, decided to seek his fortune as a wandering chevalier.
Is sincerely regretting this decision as his career thus far has mostly consisted of things exploding. His talent with alchemy is largely formed from self-preservation, and most of his arrays are defensive in nature.
Came across the group after a castle he was besieging exploded. Yes, the entire thing. No, he has no idea how that happened, but at this point he was so used to being a human projectile he wrapped a forcefield spell around himself and went to sleep before impacting.
Is the Only Sane Man of the group, according to Kerecse.
Equipment: An enchanted warhammer (two-handed) made to be unbreakable. Turns out a side-effect of that makes it really good at penetrating armor. Who knew?
A dagger and revolver round out the rest of his meager arsenal.
Clothes: Is either wearing a coat-of-plates and assorted armor or a simple tunic with his house symbol (a black blade over a silver mountain) on it.

Stahlzahn
Fur color: Brown w/ black patterns
Eye color: Green
Height: 2'2
Build: Quadripedal
Languages: Dog, Western Dog, Northern Doginese
Distinguishing features: Is a dog
Background:
Woof.
Fritsche's companion. Eats wildlife.
Equipment: Teeth.
Clothes: Dog chain mail.

Now I just need to figure out how to bribe someone to draw these over the Internet...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 10:45:13 PM by Ragnarok »

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5053 on: September 03, 2017, 02:28:24 AM »
As posted in the SSSS Scriptorium thread, I bring you the last chapter *throws confetti* of the crack opus now given its proper title: "Stranded."
http://archiveofourown.org/works/6610714/chapters/27108273

There will be an epilogue to catch up with what happens to some of these characters, but otherwise this is done, finito. 
I will go through and do a fix-up of continuity errors as best I can at some point.

Keeper

• Ranger
  • Child of the Sun
« Reply #5054 on: September 03, 2017, 12:53:26 PM »
As posted in the SSSS Scriptorium thread, I bring you the last chapter *throws confetti* of the crack opus now given its proper title: "Stranded."
http://archiveofourown.org/works/6610714/chapters/27108273

There will be an epilogue to catch up with what happens to some of these characters, but otherwise this is done, finito. 
I will go through and do a fix-up of continuity errors as best I can at some point.

*HUGE round of applause*

This was amazing! It's been a fun, wild ride of a story, wavewright, and thanks for giving it to us. I was so surprise to read the last paragraph, it made me so happy! So happy, in fact, that I felt the need to illustrate it:

(Reynir happens to be my favorite character, so Madeline meeting him in the Silent World is too perfect!)

Looking forward to the epilogue!
:chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :book4:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Mark my words, it's not quite what you thought.