Author Topic: The SSSS Art Museum  (Read 2483556 times)

Antillanka

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: her, thank you ;)
Re: The SSSS Art Museum
« Reply #12150 on: August 28, 2017, 03:37:19 PM »
Oooh Windy, I hope so much to see your first drawing happen! But I bet it will not be such a smooth ride for Lalli, I imagine Emil dragging him by the feet and bumping him against every possible obstacle in the road... out of pure clumsiness, of course, he'd never hurt Lalli willingly XD
Iguana with issues

Speaks: :chile:('cause that sh*t ain't :spain: XD); :usa:

Grey-cat2

• DeviantArt
  • Formerly Grey-Cat
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #12151 on: August 29, 2017, 09:26:48 AM »
As usual, Windy, your weirdness delights me. XD Good show!

P.S. so my account wouldn't let me in today....T.T so I made a new one. This is the original Grey-cat, if anyone wonders. 
Commonly tries to learn a new language after reading foreign webcomics (commonly fails)

Windfighter

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #12152 on: August 30, 2017, 10:13:05 AM »
Thanks people <3

I'm here to drop off a doodle I did today:
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Glory

• DeviantArt
  • Learning to sketch. Slowly. Painfully.
« Reply #12153 on: August 30, 2017, 01:07:40 PM »
Sigrun's done:

I actually like how this one came out, though the right side collar's a little weird and it's hard to see the neck blending into the body on the left. It took me three different attempts to get the smile right, but it was all worth it in the end.

Bonus sketch: an older Sigrun I drew a few months back. I've improved a lot since then (the open collar on the right side, for instance :P.....not my finest moment), but hey, it's Sigrun.

Also, for any other pencil/paper sketchers out there, how do you avoid smudges? They've been the bane of my existence ever since I started sketching. I'm using basic #2 .7mm-.9mm mechanical pencils on standard sketchbook paper - anyone have any recommendations?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 05:13:10 PM by Glory »
Survived: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19:

Miriam

• Scout
  • Icon by HulluPunaKettu
« Reply #12154 on: August 30, 2017, 02:22:08 PM »
Sigrun's done:

I actually like how this one came out, though the right side collar's a little weird and it's hard to see the neck blending into the body on the left. It took me three different attempts to get the smile right, but it was all worth it in the end.

Bonus sketch: an older Sigrun I drew a few months back. I've improved a lot since then (the open collar on the right side, for instance :P.....not my finest moment), but hey, it's Sigrun.

Also, for any other pencil/paper sketchers out there, how do you avoid smudges? They've been the bane of my existence ever since I started sketching. I'm using basic #2 .7mm-.9mm mechanical pencils on standard sketchbook paper - anyone have any recommendations?

Fixed the image for you. You have to link to the image itself (click 'show image') and not to the site. Also you can click 'preview' to check if it's visible.
Native: :netherlands:
Some. Enough.: :uk:
Special: :germany: :france:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Glory

• DeviantArt
« Reply #12155 on: August 30, 2017, 05:11:51 PM »
Fixed the image for you. You have to link to the image itself (click 'show image') and not to the site. Also you can click 'preview' to check if it's visible.

Ah, thanks. I was wondering why it wasn't showing up, thought it was a problem on my end. Will fix.

Glory

• DeviantArt
« Reply #12156 on: August 30, 2017, 08:22:52 PM »
Lalli's done (was bored)

The collar's a bit meh, but the rest turned out pretty decent, I think. Good practice anyways.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #12157 on: August 30, 2017, 08:30:04 PM »
Sigrun's done:

Lalli's done (was bored)

The collar's a bit meh, but the rest turned out pretty decent, I think. Good practice anyways.

Those are very nice, Glory!  I like Sigrun's smile -- and you nailed how Minna uses open circles to suggest Lalli's wide, very pale-colored eyes. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Glory

• DeviantArt
« Reply #12158 on: August 30, 2017, 08:55:20 PM »
Those are very nice, Glory!  I like Sigrun's smile -- and you nailed how Minna uses open circles to suggest Lalli's wide, very pale-colored eyes.

Thanks! It's amazing how much you can learn about an artist's technique by copying their work - you find yourself asking "Now why did they put that line there? What effect does it have?" I find that this can give you a much deeper insight into their style, though it does run the risk of overanalyzing a piece of artwork rather than just enjoying it for what it is. It's also good practice :3

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #12159 on: August 31, 2017, 12:57:56 AM »
Windy, I'm always happy to see your drawings, they are lovely and some of these make me smile!

Great work, Glory, thanks for sharing! To avoid smudges, I sometimes use an extra sheet of paper between my drawing hand and the paper I'm drawing on. Smudges will happen when skin touches soft pencil lines, so the trick is to prevent the skin from doing that - I  once saw a professional artist use a super fancy glove that covered that bit of his hand, but as I said, a paper sheet works fine as well.

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #12160 on: August 31, 2017, 05:33:03 PM »
Glory -- That's super neat! I'm really enjoying watching you improve.
For pencil smudges, I usually just let them fall where they will, and then clean them up with an eraser when I'm done (they come off really easily). This isn't as useful for stuff too close to lines you want, though (I usually ink my pieces, so it doesn't matter if I erase the linework a little when I'm taking off smudges).
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Glory

• DeviantArt
« Reply #12161 on: August 31, 2017, 08:24:28 PM »
Alright, this is gonna be it for a while. I don't want to monopolize the thread, and my hand's getting tired.

Emil:

Tuuri:

These really aren't my best work, but hey, practice is practice. Next up I'll probably take a bit of a break from SSSS content, maybe work off some 3D models from other stuff. After that, I'll do the support crew (and kitty :3)- I'll probably just post them all at once when I get done.

Oh, and thanks everyone for the tips on smudging - the paper cover works well, and I'll have to try ink outlining some of my older sketches to see how well that works.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 08:26:22 PM by Glory »

October Sky

• Tumblr
  • Smile like you mean it
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they? Honestly no clue at this point
« Reply #12162 on: September 01, 2017, 01:14:56 AM »
Lalli's done (was bored)

oooh I like that style!  I've been meaning to do more quick pencil sketch kinda stuff so I may try something like this
Nationality: :usa:
kinda but not really: :japan:
:chap16: :chap17: :chap18:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #12163 on: September 01, 2017, 05:22:10 AM »
Nice work, Glory and Windfighter.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
« Reply #12164 on: September 01, 2017, 04:18:27 PM »
Those are some great little drawings, Glory! As far as stopping pencil smudges, if its a finished piece you can spray it with hairspray, but while you're working on it I don't know of any to stop that other than being veery careful.
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race