Author Topic: The Forum's Art Museum  (Read 404683 times)

Kizzy

• Not online everyday :c
Re: The Forum's Art Museum
« Reply #390 on: June 17, 2015, 04:35:35 PM »
a lantern's the missing thing :P

looks pretty good to me :D . Maybe the only think I can find that's off is a lack of depth, the background seems a bit mushed too close to the foreground and draws attention from the character. It's not as strong in the wider shot tho, where there's space for the eye to breathe (yes, eyes do that). But yes, if I have anything to suggest, it'd be to put more emphasis where you want the viewer to look, possibly by toning down the forest a little, or lighting the character a little more (the leaves seem to get more light than her?). Not sure my propsed solution is right, tho: I couldn't do something half as good-looking if my life depended on it ;)

The lantern is actually invisible!...

In all seriousness though, thank you for your wonderful critique!
For the background, I was planning on blurring it once I've finished adding the leaves and tree bark details, though I might not do the latter since it might detract the viewers attention from the foreground. I whole-heartedly agree on the lighting part though; there was something off about it and you've nailed it. I've just increased the amount of light on Ymma (the character) and it's looking better already!

Thanks again for the critique :D

Wow I think it looks great. Slick and nice contrasting colors. :)

Thank you, Fox! ❤
Fluent: :usa:
Decent:
Should know but doesn't: , Visaya
Wants to know: :finland: :iceland:, Persian, Navajo
Forgot: :spain: :france:

Chapter Survive
:chap7:

Instagram (=ↀωↀ=) Tumblr

Sumeri

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Hämäläisjuntti
« Reply #391 on: June 17, 2015, 09:48:16 PM »
Jesus christ Kizzy, that forest looks sooo beautiful!

oh and, here's a thing

I'm not quite sure what happened

it was supposed to be a face sketch for a larger thing
now it's 5 am and that thing is the larger thing
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 09:53:37 PM by Sumeri »
Lankeaa
metsän henget
polvilleen

native: :fi:
fluent: :gb:
somewhat struggling with: :se:
learned but mostly forgotten: :fr:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:

Silent Fox

• Scout
  • Speaks little, writes a lot
« Reply #392 on: June 17, 2015, 09:57:22 PM »

oh and, here's a thing

Wow, what an awesome style! The hair looks great, although the eyes, perhaps, seem a bit off? I'm not sure how to put it...maybe the inner eyes/pupils are a little too lightly colored?
Native: :germany:
Getting fluent after 10 years: :usa:

:chap7: :chap8:

Sumeri

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Hämäläisjuntti
« Reply #393 on: June 17, 2015, 10:06:18 PM »
Wow, what an awesome style! The hair looks great, although the eyes, perhaps, seem a bit off? I'm not sure how to put it...maybe the inner eyes/pupils are a little too lightly colored?

Thanks! Oh and, that eye-thing is actually on purpose :D He's supposed to be some kind of god or a greater spirit or something to that effect(usually found wandering around various deserts around the world), so his eyes are kinda glowing, and I decided he either has reeeeeaaally light pupils or no pupils at all.
Lankeaa
metsän henget
polvilleen

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:

Kizzy

• Not online everyday :c
« Reply #394 on: June 18, 2015, 12:47:59 AM »

oh and, here's a thing

Thank you so much ❤️ You have some pretty art yourself *stalks your DA*
I really like your style a lot! It reminds me somehow of gothic and some other kind of dark elements rolled all together in one. Is he a character for a story you're working on? Also, I like the transparent cloak  ;D (it's not a permanent thing, is it? o.o)
Fluent: :usa:
Decent:
Should know but doesn't: , Visaya
Wants to know: :finland: :iceland:, Persian, Navajo
Forgot: :spain: :france:

Chapter Survive
:chap7:

Instagram (=ↀωↀ=) Tumblr

Silent Fox

• Scout
« Reply #395 on: June 18, 2015, 06:36:30 AM »
Thanks! Oh and, that eye-thing is actually on purpose :D He's supposed to be some kind of god or a greater spirit or something to that effect(usually found wandering around various deserts around the world), so his eyes are kinda glowing, and I decided he either has reeeeeaaally light pupils or no pupils at all.
Ah I see, makes sense. :)

Sumeri

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Hämäläisjuntti
« Reply #396 on: June 18, 2015, 07:49:32 AM »

Thank you so much ❤️ You have some pretty art yourself *stalks your DA*
I really like your style a lot! It reminds me somehow of gothic and some other kind of dark elements rolled all together in one. Is he a character for a story you're working on? Also, I like the transparent cloak  ;D (it's not a permanent thing, is it? o.o)

Waahhh, thank youu! Well it's not exactly a story, like, I don't usually write stories but sometimes a snippet or a very specific scene of what could be a part of a story of some kind comes into my mind and then I have to draw it :D Now it was an image of this guy emerging from a thick fog, walking across a lake or pond or something(actually walking on the water because you know, god). So then I sketched that, got caught up in what his face should look like, made another sketch with only his face, sketch got out of control and that was the result :D and I still can't decide whether I like his hair like that, in dreadlocks, or curly...I shall have to experiment more :D

Oh and don't worry, while the cloak IS transparent and going to stay that way, he does have actual clothing under that, I was just too lazy to draw it :D
Lankeaa
metsän henget
polvilleen

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #397 on: June 18, 2015, 08:39:41 PM »
And here we have a dragoncat.

I drew this for somebody, and they liked it enough to make it their icon! Wooooo!

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Silent Fox

• Scout
« Reply #398 on: June 18, 2015, 09:21:12 PM »
And here we have a dragoncat.

I drew this for somebody, and they liked it enough to make it their icon! Wooooo!

Alright! Watch out, you might be getting internet famous soon. ;) (And I have to wonder what a dragoncat would act like/behave as a pet?)

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #399 on: June 18, 2015, 09:52:01 PM »
I was going through some of my stuff and found some world-building drawings from last year.

... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

Silent Fox

• Scout
« Reply #400 on: June 18, 2015, 09:56:44 PM »
I was going through some of my stuff and found some world-building drawings from last year.

These look really interesting (great tattoos!), what's the general world about? :)

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #401 on: June 18, 2015, 10:07:10 PM »
These look really interesting (great tattoos!), what's the general world about? :)
It's actually got several components, but these particular drawings are from the Marshes, hence the weaving incorporated into their clothing and armor, and the girded loins: the men are actually wearing long skirts, which they hike up when working in the water.
The tattoos are actually warpaint: Red has a special significance in their culture.
Spoiler: show
Tern followed the old man to a field of taso, the tall feathered grasses swaying in the slight evening breeze that had sprung up. “Is that what the red comes from?” Tern asked, “from taso?”
“Not in that shape,” the old man told him, “here, come.” He plucked one of the stalks and ran the tips of his his knobbed fingers gently up it. Then he showed his fingertips to Tern --- they were tinted a bright crimson. He presented the stalk to Tern, who examined it and found that it was covered with something that looked dark and velvety.
“What is it?” Tern asked, stroking it with a tentative finger: it came away stained.
“They are alive,” San whispered, “little tiny lives that cover the stalks of grass. Red comes from them---for red is life. Have you ever heard the shape of red entering the thought of the One?”
Tern shook his head.
“It will be heard at dinner,” San said, “Come.”
Seeing five spears with handles bound in dyed and woven strips hanging on the walls, Tern gasped and slapped each shoulder to ward off evil. San looked at him in surprise, then followed his gaze and chuckled. "You need fear no harm from these, boy," he told him, "These spears belonged to my sons." San touched them reverently. "Five boys marched away, no boys came back," he sighed, "They were users, all of them. Skilled and strong, in shape of my father, clever in shape of their mother. But even users fall to swords, and my sons were no exception." He cast a keen, penetrating eye at Nain, who was sitting on the mat, every line of his body bespeaking exhaustion from the using. "But perhaps not without asking from a comrade in arms, hm? Perhaps not without forcing a promise that an old father would not be left alone?"
Tern's father hastily denied the accusation. "No, no, San, they forced no such promise. I would not be here today if not for that you have the best red of all the marshes. All know it, even in the kingdom."
San sucked his teeth, cackling. "Ah, he admits it! This is indeed a momentous occasion, worthy of a fine story! Set yourselves down as I fill the bowls, and I will tell you of the shape of red."
Tern and Nain accepted the bowls of stewed meat and San sat across from them and began the story.
"Stone was the first thought of the One. Static and strong, the simplest of all things. The second thought was water, with its change and movement, but ultimate simplicity. Then came the thought of growth, and reeds covered the earth.
"For a long time the thought of growth occupied the mind of the One and he was content. Then one day as he walked the earth he broke a reed, and the syrup of growth came from it. He touched it and came from him a new thought. His fingers were touched with the new thought and he laid it on the reeds and it spread. This new thought was red.
“Red quickened the mind of the One and he began to think of movement, of life. Small creatures began to fill the earth, and then larger ones, filled with red. The One occupied himself for a great time with this newest thought, and then his final thought came to him.
“The One thought of others like to the fifth thought, but like unto him in that they could think. And so became man and women, crafted out of red.”
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

AquaAurion

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #402 on: June 19, 2015, 07:12:47 AM »
Hello thread filled with wonderful art! :D

I've always been drawing a lot, but after I started studying at uni the amount dwindled for each year. SSSS and this lovely forum rekindled my passion and I have drawn more in the last 6 months than I did for several years before :D It has mostly been ssss fanart since then, but recently I've started doing original art as well as for other fandoms. I'm kind of struggling to find a nice and consistent style xC

Here's my two most recent drawings :)
One of my OCs:

I started doing backgrounds again and playing around with brushes. Gokudera from KHR (can we post other fandoms here?):

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3

Krisse Kovacs

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #403 on: June 19, 2015, 09:15:57 AM »
my spam......I basically had a really old comic I started in 2008, I totally changed a lot about it many new characters were added in 2011. I actually started writing the main story twice, of course it was a huge failure in art.

I was huge japanese fan, so all the characters were japanese in 2008, when I started, and later I gout totally out of this and become so nordic fan, the new characters basically finnish, swedish, norwegian, but also some other characters are from other countries appears here. I need to change so the school became a japanese international school with many exchange students and so on.
I don't think I could even start a full story comic with it, and sometimes I loose interest on that, but I enjoy doing many random one-page comics with them like this:

(brownhaired is Jacques Wilson Francois, the finnish one is Mikaela Suomalainen, the other blonde is Kristian Thomassen)

and I never could continue the started comics because of the huge improvements and/or style changes after a long break

(Mikaela and Jousho)

or probably the best improvement differences would be this (2008-2011-2015):

they are/were the two main characters of the story. I barely draw them anymore if I do any one-page comic

I actually have a website where I posted all the finished pages, and have a tumblr page
have all the characters in spoiler:

I am sorry for spam and selfpromotion here.... I can delete if you want.
can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20:

Silent Fox

• Scout
« Reply #404 on: June 19, 2015, 06:22:57 PM »
my spam......I basically had a really old comic I started in 2008, I totally changed a lot about it many new characters were added in 2011. I actually started writing the main story twice, of course it was a huge failure in art.

I was huge japanese fan, so all the characters were japanese in 2008, when I started, and later I gout totally out of this and become so nordic fan, the new characters basically finnish, swedish, norwegian, but also some other characters are from other countries appears here. I need to change so the school became a japanese international school with many exchange students and so on.
I don't think I could even start a full story comic with it, and sometimes I loose interest on that, but I enjoy doing many random one-page comics with them like this:

(brownhaired is Jacques Wilson Francois, the finnish one is Mikaela Suomalainen, the other blonde is Kristian Thomassen)

and I never could continue the started comics because of the huge improvements and/or style changes after a long break

(Mikaela and Jousho)

or probably the best improvement differences would be this (2008-2011-2015):

they are/were the two main characters of the story. I barely draw them anymore if I do any one-page comic

I actually have a website where I posted all the finished pages, and have a tumblr page
have all the characters in spoiler:

I am sorry for spam and selfpromotion here.... I can delete if you want.

I think one-shots are a really good idea- short and to the point (or maybe 4-komas for a bit more detail?). And I love the diversity of the student body, you've done splendidly! :D