Author Topic: The Forum's Art Museum  (Read 404828 times)

dmeck7755

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: The Forum's Art Museum
« Reply #3015 on: June 09, 2022, 06:56:43 PM »
Mirasol,
That is absolutely lovely!

Wave, I love your urban drawings.  I'd like to be sitting there now with a nice cuppa tea!!  Everyone looks to be having a great time.
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #3016 on: June 09, 2022, 07:08:59 PM »
what a lovely painting. I like the little tree (juniper? pine?) in the teapot.

The kindergaten was run by catholic nuns without any education in running a kindergarten. I assume they did not know better. And I did break a lot of pencils and crayons in my drawing attempts.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #3017 on: June 10, 2022, 04:43:25 AM »
Moredhel, I asked for an artwork with teapots and flowers, and wow did she deliver! It’s actually markers, not a painting. It was a delight to participate and follow her process.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3018 on: June 10, 2022, 05:06:21 AM »
That's amazing!
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3019 on: June 10, 2022, 06:12:09 AM »
Mirasol, that small tree in the blue kettle/teapot looks like a pine or juniper pruned in the style of bonsai called ‘cloud pruning’. Lovely drawing!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #3020 on: June 10, 2022, 08:36:48 AM »
This could als have been posted in the SSSS art museum, can you spot why?

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

dmeck7755

« Reply #3021 on: June 10, 2022, 08:37:04 AM »
Moredhel, I asked for an artwork with teapots and flowers, and wow did she deliver! It’s actually markers, not a painting. It was a delight to participate and follow her process.

Markers??  Wow! That is impressive, no run-off or smears!!  I'd have smudges and marks everywhere!!

Not something I could ever accomplish

-Frank Zappa

dmeck7755

« Reply #3022 on: June 10, 2022, 08:38:55 AM »
This could als have been posted in the SSSS art museum, can you spot why?
Spoiler: show

I see a squirrel cookie!  :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie:

-Frank Zappa

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #3023 on: June 10, 2022, 08:44:28 AM »
Dmeck,

Correct! Although my celebration icons may have given a hint already :)

:sparkle: :squirrelcookie: :sparkle:

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #3024 on: June 10, 2022, 04:28:42 PM »
I've been busy with vacation (preparation, the vacation itself, recovery and catch-up at work - whew!) and missed some stuff. Wave, I love your pen sketches, you capture the dynamics of people so well, even if they're sitting still. I know that doesn't quite make sense, but that's what I think, so there! Mirasol, what a lovely teapotty, flowery space you imagined. I especially like the clear pot with plants inside, as a little terrarium. Jitter, I'm envious.

Re teachers squelching creativity - in kindergarten at Christmas we were given appropriately-themes pictures to colour; I got a candy cane. This was on white paper, so I was left with a problem: candy canes are generally red and white (maybe a bit of green too), but white crayon on white paper doesn't really show. I mulled this over for a bit, and decided to use the "opposite colour" - I coloured the white parts black. Pity I didn't know about colour negatives at that point, or I might have coloured the red parts blue! We had to show our efforts to the teacher, who got quite annoyed with me and said, "Candy canes aren't black!" and made me go fix it. She didn't think to ask me why I'd coloured it black. I was a painfully shy and unassertive child, so I dutifully "fixed" it. The next year I was called back to the art room to fix another picture, this time a drawing of a barn in which I'd painstakingly drawn all the nail heads. When I painted it, they were hidden, but I couldn't be bothered to put them back, especially as it would be wet on wet paint. I thought it was a bit unfair of the teacher to insist that I do so. So funny the things we remember, and for so long!
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

dmeck7755

« Reply #3025 on: June 10, 2022, 06:03:42 PM »
I thought it was a bit unfair of the teacher to insist that I do so. So funny the things we remember, and for so long!

It is funny how things "stick" in your head and affect how you act and what you do years later.

I went to a parochial grade school.  In the 7th grade in was mandatory for us to sing in the choir.   

I still remember the nun telling me to "mouth the words dear" I still do not sing  Not even alone in the car.

I try to always be kind though remembering that.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 06:05:36 PM by dmeck7755 »

-Frank Zappa

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #3026 on: June 11, 2022, 09:54:34 AM »
I try to always be kind though remembering that.

There's the key - take your own unpleasant experience, learn from it, and try to make the world a better place. I try to remember to ask people why they do things I don't understand, thanks to that teacher! I'm sorry you don't sing, I don't have much of a voice but I enjoy singing (especially alone in the car!) very much. There's no harm in doing some kind of hobby enthusiastically but not terribly well - often the enthusiasm makes up for the flaws.

Pointless anecdote #438: I grew up going to a rather stuffy, moderately-high-Anglican church. We had the things to flip down to kneel on, and did a lot of stand-up-and-sing, sit-down-to-listen, kneel-to-pray. It was tedious. We had a very good choir and professional organist. Then I went to church of a different denomination with a friend in a small town. My friend's granny played the organ, grampa was the lone bass in the choir, and there were perhaps five other choir members. The organ-playing was laboured, the singing wasn't always on key, but boy did they mean it! There was no kneeling, when the congregation stood to sing they positively leapt up, and joined with (offkey) gusto. What a contrast! It remains the only religious service I actually enjoyed.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3027 on: June 14, 2022, 05:22:38 PM »
*blushes furiously from all the compliments* Oh my, thank you all so much!

Oooh   my lovely teatime has found its way here! Thank you again, Mirasol! I have yet to frame it properly, but it is on the wall in our dining room!

<3 :squirrelcookie: :sparkle:  <3 :squirrelcookie: :sparkle:  <3 :squirrelcookie: :sparkle:  <3 :squirrelcookie: :sparkle:  <3 :squirrelcookie: :sparkle:

Aaah, I´m so happy to hear that! :))

Mirasol, that small tree in the blue kettle/teapot looks like a pine or juniper pruned in the style of bonsai called ‘cloud pruning’. Lovely drawing!

Oh, that´s really cool! Thanks for the info! I think bonsai are really pretty, so I just had to draw one. :)
But like with all the plants, I only had a pretty vague idea or unspecified reference photo of what real plants they would resemble and kind of let the rule of cool take over from there. So it´s nice to hear what plant it actually is!

Markers??  Wow! That is impressive, no run-off or smears!!  I'd have smudges and marks everywhere!!

Not something I could ever accomplish

(the smudges ended up on my hands in fact :'D) No but seriously, I find it much easier to not smudge markers than paint... Which is probably entirely due to the training of two YoinkTobers on this lovely Forum.
That being said, the yellow in the background is watercolor, I had no marker that was really desaturated enough.

I see a squirrel cookie!  :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie:

:squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: :sparkle: In my honor as cookie-chef I had to. (In said honor I also have to point out though that it was at least halfway Jitter´s idea to put it there. ;) )

Welcome back from your vacation, Vulpes!
And I agree, the most professionally prepared performances can be dreadfull if there´s no heart behind it! I only really know small, unprofessional church-choirs and over-enthusiastically singing congregations, but I´ve had a similar experience with opera a few times. (it might be weird for a nineteenyearold to like opera so much, but I grew up with it and classical music in general so bear with me ^^') The ones that end up on TV with the much-praised orchestration and big names as the performers and so on always tend to lose my attention after a while. Big metaphors are nice and all, but if you barely see any true emotion on people´s faces, they don´t really land in my opinion. That odd combo just lets me lose track of what is happening. But I went to (and even participated) in some operas performed by professional solists but an amateur choir. Our singing definitly wasn´t on key all the time, but still one of the most frequent feedback we got there was that people loved watching because especially the choir seemed to be having so much fun. (we were indeed having lots of fun! :)) )
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

translunaryAnimus (TA)

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I make art sometimes! Too many personal projects.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/They
« Reply #3028 on: July 17, 2022, 03:52:14 PM »

Doodling some stuff for that webcomic idea i was talking about. Plot has changed a LOT since i last posted. Also there are more nonhuman creatures! Enjoy!
Just one artist with too many projects and not enough time.

Fluent:🇬🇧 Learning:🇫🇮

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #3029 on: July 17, 2022, 03:55:08 PM »
So dynamic.Great work MintheTea.