Author Topic: The Forum's Art Museum  (Read 405226 times)

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
Re: The Forum's Art Museum
« Reply #2880 on: July 11, 2021, 10:40:46 PM »
Ooh, pretty!

Reminds me of the feeling of coming home late at night and just looking up at the sky - we don't get that many stars where I live, being in the suburbs, but you can see the southern cross, and scorpio or orion depending on the season, and of course the moon is always beautiful.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #2881 on: July 12, 2021, 01:33:12 PM »
Here in Berlin nearly no stars are visible. Because it never gets dark here. I grew up in a less populated part of germany. There you could get real darkness with lots of stars.

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #2882 on: July 13, 2021, 01:20:17 AM »
When my family first moved to the house where I did most of my growing up. it was still possible to see the Milky Way at night.
When I moved out, the Birds' Path had been invisible for years.

Lovely moon, moredhel.

catbirds

« Reply #2883 on: July 13, 2021, 01:40:37 AM »
Wow! That's a great colour pencil drawing, moredhel! I get it, that's what the night sky looks like where I live, but I'd like to go somewhere where the stars look like you sneezed out glitter. Also, I love the spots on the snake! It has a good shape overall!

And Grey, the whale is very cute, I like the way it smiles! And very smart design ;)

Buteo, weird that the milky way could just disappear... hmmm

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #2884 on: July 13, 2021, 10:26:47 AM »
My brother went on a trip up to the kimberly a few weeks ago and he showed me some photos they took of the sky when they were camping at the bungle bungles (very very far from any town) - you could see the full milky way, not just hints of it, all the tones of colour and all the dark spaces. Said he lay down on the rock in the dry riverbed at night and just looked up at the stars.

(I was very jealous)
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2885 on: July 13, 2021, 11:52:38 AM »
Buteo, weird that the milky way could just disappear... hmmm

When I was a child it was expensive to get light on public roads an places. It was possible to see hints of the milky way even within the village where i lived. After going to the next valley where no lights were it was possible to see a lot of it. But in the last decades more and mor lights were installed everywhere and they are now much brighter so it is impossible to see the milky way.

catbirds

« Reply #2886 on: July 15, 2021, 03:24:13 PM »
I've been chipping away at a couple other projects, but after finishing summer school, I decided to paint something kind of indulgent (also very tall...).

I've definitely made a lot of progress since I started painting like... four? ish? years ago? It makes me happy to see them compared to my other paintings in my desk drawer.

Moredhel, unfortunately, I've never had the good fortune to be young when there weren't lights everywhere :( But maybe one day I'll go stargazing in the deep woods or the wilderness. It's unfortunate, but at least you can treasure the memories from your childhood. Keep Looking, I hope you get the chance to too! Safely, because I've heard the Australian bush can be quite dangerous.

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2887 on: July 15, 2021, 03:46:05 PM »
A very beautiful painting. I like the created by the warm and cold colors.

I do remember the milky way as i saw it as a child. It can be simulated in the countryside by searching a dark valley a few kilometers away from all houses.

A geology that creates deep valleys is helpful.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #2888 on: July 15, 2021, 05:45:11 PM »
Catbirds, what an intriguing and beautiful painting! Is there a story to it? I love the atmosphere of, maybe not friendly exactly but non-threatening darkness. Sort f it’s dark and that’s exactly how it should be.

I also love the stars. Here in the north, the best stargazing time is in the winter, and the sky is clear on very cold nights only. Still, I very much hope to be able to arrange some sort of stargazing thing for myself and family. We went to an astronomy night in Canada and it was lovely! But not nearly dark enough for the “sneezing glitter” (great expression!) effect.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

catbirds

« Reply #2889 on: July 17, 2021, 02:07:04 AM »
Thank you :P I like hearing what people think of things I make, even if it's a bit vain.

I feel like I've gotten asked a couple of times if there's a story related to a painting I've made, and the answer is No but I'll steal ideas from old paintings sometimes, so they might end up being connected somewhat. And maybe one day I'll be a writer, that'd be fun.

Stargazing in the north... I was told that the sky becomes clearer in the winter because of the temperature, which I guess causes moisture to condense and fall to the surface of the Earth? I'm not a meteorologist so IDK, it's probably more complicated than that. It'd be nice to stargaze with family in the winter, when you can lie down and be cozy without bugs biting you everywhere, but that comes with its own challenges (cold). I hope you get to see lots of stars when the time comes! (I'll keep all this advice for when I eventually find someone who's interested in the sky? ...it's best to not go camping alone!)

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2890 on: July 17, 2021, 12:56:54 PM »
The air is moving much less when it is colder.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #2891 on: July 17, 2021, 08:38:41 PM »
We have clear skies in the summer too, but it’s too light to see the stars. Southern Finland doesn’t get actual midnight sun, but it doesn’t really get properly dark this time of year.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #2892 on: July 18, 2021, 06:55:11 AM »
[relevant, though there are double and long-term exposures among them]
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2893 on: July 18, 2021, 07:20:28 AM »
I painted this yesterday. I think I am still making progress in the watercolor craft.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #2894 on: July 18, 2021, 11:00:32 AM »
Oh wow, moredhel, that's really well done! The lighting really gives it depth.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi: