Author Topic: The Forum's Art Museum  (Read 404738 times)

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: The Forum's Art Museum
« Reply #2700 on: April 09, 2021, 12:08:52 PM »
Mirasol Oooh, the way you described panel work reminded me of magazine/book and site wireframes! In hindsight they're kinda the same. :'D I think I can draw on prior knowledge from these areas to cook up a similar approach for paneling. Thanks for the write up and hands method. It's been of great help!

Yay, I helped! :reynir:

I like your sketches! For finding a comic-style, I read a few comics that use a quite complicated artstyle (by that I mean not very clean and stylized) and seem to have found a nice balance. I don´t know about how time-consuming these were to draw, but if it helps you decide on something: Scurry, Glacias
(they´re also both very good. Scurry is a post-apocalyptic comic through the point of view of the surviving animals, Glacias a fantasy-comic about basically not Vikings-involving "how to train your dragon".)

Indeed a controversial work, moredhel... I do not agree with you on the point you made, but it is a very nicely painted banana. You managed to make it look quite three-dimensional. :)
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #2701 on: April 09, 2021, 12:10:25 PM »
I am still exploring the world of watercolor and I made my most controversial piece of art.

The title is "before bananas look like this they taste horrible".

:haw:

I agree - bananas have to have brown spots. But I would add "and about 10 minutes after they look like this they taste cloying". I rarely catch bananas in that 10-minute-long optimal eating window (okay 10 minutes is an exaggeration, but not by much!) and buy bananas with the expectation that I will make banana bread. That is my favourite form of banana!  :D

Your watercolour explorations appear to be bearing fruit (hahaha... sorry), that's really nicely done. I like the complementary background, too.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

catbirds

« Reply #2702 on: April 09, 2021, 03:06:40 PM »

You know what, I love this banana, I love the title, I love the flavour of it that I can imagine in my head. I would buy prints of it if I could. I fully agree with the title, green bananas are disgusting and taste like leaves and yellow bananas still taste like leaves but look less weird. I hope it stirs things up in the art world because I think it deserves that more than the other banana that stirred things up in the art world.

(Joking aside, I really do love your banana painting and I hope you continue sharing your watercolour creations. And I don't have any ill intent towards the other art banana :P)

Songbird, about drawing hands: I used to draw my own hands a lot because they were the least obvious non-biology-class-related thing I could reference while I was bored in eleventh grade biology. My teacher often rambled a lot, so most of my hand drawing practice came from there. For me, it's just
1. stare at my hands
2. struggle to put my joints on paper and make a rough outline
3. realize the proportions are totally wrong and fix it once I'm done
I tried to draw some yesterday (or the day before?) and uhmmm they look really rough. I've also never had to render them in detail because I never got too into drawing fully-rendered humans, but I hope it gives you some insight ;D

Spoiler: hands • show

There's a human there because I like attaching hands to humans! A very important part of my hobby.

Since I have moved towards drawing more "cartoons" than actual humans, I now focus more on the overall gesture and the emotion it expresses than the wrinkles on the joints, the calluses, the blood vessels, etc... But I still hope it counts for something

Oh, the weird thing is that I drew bird wings before actually drawing human hands, so I also like to visualize human hands as somewhat like primary feathers.

Spoiler: bird • show

Hope this helps :) (I'm kidding, I know it won't! But it's fun to share)

...obviously this method fell apart once I had to draw people doing things with hands. i.e. with bent fingers. 'twas a good start, though.

Also the un-drawn-over version because I'm proud of it (the improper wing/feather proportions are intentional):

« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 03:08:37 PM by catbirds »

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #2703 on: April 09, 2021, 04:53:47 PM »
Joking aside
Joking is good. Joking is inspiring. E. g. without joking nobody would know how to summon a lemon.

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #2704 on: April 09, 2021, 05:00:07 PM »
Thank you Mirasol and Songbird!
Also, moredhel, I wanna eat that banana! It should taste the best, not turned black yet but already has a few brown dots... You're handling the watercolor really well ;) :sparkle:
Annuil Wow thanks for taking the time to do that step-by-step! XoX :sparkle:
I hope it helped you! It was fun to do that! I was still wearing my pajamas and just used my other hand as a reference... sometimes it's nice to do such things  :'D
This looks very cute! From the art alone I can tell it's a "first meeting" style of snippet and I suspect there's a difference of status going on too, meaning they're a bit of foils to each other.
Ahah, thanks! Yep, the first meeting of two best friends whose friendship lasted for several centuries (that's why I love elves :'D).
Here is an explanation to that comic, if anyone is interested, I'll put it under a spoiler:
Spoiler: show
There is a little bit of a social gap between them, even though both their fathers are lords, the problem is that the red-haired one (Nicklis) still has a father and the boy with violet eyes (Orlando) doesn't, so he lives in poverty. But the whole story is going to be more about behavior and friendship. Nicklis just doesn't really know how to control himself, while he has a wild character. Other kids teased him a lot for having red hair and for his lower jaw/chin that was standing out more than it was supposed to, so he was used to that and thought that's the way to deal with anyone who was his age, but then Orlando came along... who was also a subject for teasing because he was a crazy one. It was Orlando who unwittingly taught Nicklis to behave himself and to be gentle with people, so as an adult Nicklis ended up being the one, to whom everyone comes with their problems to ask for advice, because they know he can help find a way or at least support them mentally. And Orlando... didn't really change, because he is a genius musician and has an incline to being autistic, nothing in their world could fix that :'D If you wanted to be a friend with Orlando, learn his ways of expressing himself, don't wait for him to start acting like a civilized being.

But here is one more thing! I've translated those two pages, so now you can even understand what they say!  ;D :'D :tuuri:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AsSnHPIBASO_yCpiYkRmPkOZHxWl
One more thing, Songbird, I love that character! And you style of painting looks so good! I have had an experience with Clip Studio, but it didn't end that well, so I'm gonna try it again now. Maybe my skills were lacking at the time. Truly great doodle ;) And those hands are just fine!  :sigrun:
Native:🇷🇺
Fluent:🇺🇸(🇬🇧)
Can say some phrases:🇫🇷🇩🇰
Learning:🇫🇮🇸🇪🇪🇸
Want to learn: 🇮🇸🇩🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Songbird

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • 10g of fluff and pointy edges
« Reply #2705 on: April 12, 2021, 07:16:42 PM »
Annuil I certainly didn't imagine that was what the scene was about, but they have this nice character-foil dynamic going on from the start. It was possible to infer a lot about their personalities without speaking a single word of Russian, good job!

I'm happy you liked the sketches! About the CSP, I'm not sure yet it's worth it. I have yet to delve more deeply into layout features, but so far...

Pros
- I like the pen pressure and stabilization features. Super useful since I use an old Wacom Bamboo the majority of the time, and it's even keeping it from freaking out as it has been doing in PS since I did a fresh windows reinstall
- The standard brushes are nice
- You can mark layers as different types (draft, etc), though it's not always that useful
- The concept of comic panels as... uh... clipping layer bases that are actually folders (?!) is interesting
- Spline Rulers <3 I just wish there was a way to rasterize them so they can be used to swiftly draft stuff
- It comes with auto-saving backups enabled out of the box, and I can attest they work as intended
- Runs infinitely lighter than PS in my PC build
- Can save layered PSDs with a few expected caveats
- I kinda like the balloons though they have some annoying limitations

Cons / missing features
- It has a version dedicated to creating comics yet it can't All Caps text.
- I'd love to see connected text boxes like in indesign so you can freely navigate and shuffle big chunks of text to different boxes
- It doesn't seem like it's possible to edit the outlines or erase parts of balloons, which is weird and makes for a terrible workflow
- Not much freedom with the balloon and panel line styles either, defeating part of the reason you'd stick to a different type of layer in first place

moredhel

Plu-eeese. Pretty art notwithstanding, everyone knows bananas are better when they go fully black so you can turn them into cakes. 8)

catbirds Oooh I like the style of your hands! You've got a nice curve x straight lines rhythm going on there and the thing about wings isn't that weird:

1. Feathers are similar to fingers in profile. You have the straight back, the curve created by the digits on the opposite side, and also tapering going on.
2. Bones aren't centered in fingers in the same way the spine of feathers aren't.
3. Feathers are fingers.  ;D

This drawing is beautiful, you're right to be proud of it! The shadows, the flow, the impressive patience!  :'D <3 <3

Mirasol
Yay, I helped! :reynir:

I like your sketches! For finding a comic-style, I read a few comics that use a quite complicated artstyle (by that I mean not very clean and stylized) and seem to have found a nice balance. I don´t know about how time-consuming these were to draw, but if it helps you decide on something: Scurry, Glacias
(they´re also both very good. Scurry is a post-apocalyptic comic through the point of view of the surviving animals, Glacias a fantasy-comic about basically not Vikings-involving "how to train your dragon".)

And is still helping! Thanks for the references, I didn't know either comic. I love how cinematic Scurry looks in special, although the mere thought of painstakingly painting all this fur makes me shudder.

These sketches were fast to draw, I spent more time testing the tools than actually drawing. I managed a page spread and few other bits in a day, nothing super elaborate but enough to show it's doable. The plan is to do more ~8 pages to settle into the style then give the initial pages another pass because they'll surely deviate in style and confidence from whatever I ultimately pick. Bonus points for creating a buffer to last a month.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #2706 on: April 12, 2021, 07:59:50 PM »
moredhel
Plu-eeese. Pretty art notwithstanding, everyone knows bananas are better when they go fully black so you can turn them into cakes. 8)

Utterly off-topic, but you are so correct. Here is a reconstruction of a conversation with my friend who would miraculously appear whenever I made banana bread.
Friend: Oh, you're just taking banana bread out of the oven? What an incredible coincidence!
Me: Would you like some?
Friend: Yes, please! *munching and appreciative sounds* This is even better than usual!
Me: I wonder if that's because I had to basically pour the bananas out of their skins?
Friend: ... *Stares at piece of cake in hand for 10 seconds. Shrugs. Keeps eating.*
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

MollyVampiric

• I'm always up too late, don't worry
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her, with love
« Reply #2707 on: April 15, 2021, 05:26:52 AM »
Hi! How y'all doin? I've come to drop in a new artwork. It's not perfect, but I'm feeling good, y'know? I would be amazing to get some tips if you have the time.

Spoiler: show

Still new to this, but compared to my first digital art, about 11 months ago? Pretty good ngl.
Constructive criticism is highly appreciated! <3

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #2708 on: April 15, 2021, 10:17:56 AM »
MollyVampiric, I can't say I have any tips (I'm not all that great at digital art) but I do like your art style! Especially how you've done the hair, and the thicker lineart looks nice.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #2709 on: April 15, 2021, 02:43:53 PM »
Songbird, thank you! I can’t explain how much pleasure your feedback brought to me ;D I’m so glad you could tell all that without the text! You probably know how good it feels when someone tells you that you did something you worked hard on and wasn’t sure if it actually worked  ;D

Vulpes, that’s just great... :'D

MollyVampiric, I think you have improved since last time! :D Thicker lineart doesn’t bother me almost at all, when last time it kind of seemed too heavy. And I love the shadowing (and the background fits the atmosphere perfectly)! Here are two major remarks that I would do:
1. Anatomical question.
I feel like you did a great job doing the facial features, but here are some things I found could be worked on (I don’t know, it may just be your style and it’s totally fine if it is).
Nose: you didn’t do any nostrils or the sides of the nose. It’s not that it looks bad, just with them it could have been more anatomically correct.
Eyes: it may also be the style or that certain shape of the eye, but drawing the top eyelid could help add more expression to the face and would look more anatomically correct (unless these eyes are the type that doesn’t have the top eyelid visible, it could also be the case ;))
Eyebrows are awesome.
So are the cheekbones  XoX
Mouth... is rather stylistic, nice expression and it might be the character who doesn’t have lips :'D (I hate drawing lips!.. but I have to... adds realism to the drawing..) and in this style it looks nice.
Hair is cool too!
About hair, to make it look more interesting, you could add small side whiskers, just at the ear level. Many people have that, and usually it helps me when I do someone with hair brushed to the back, so the face is fully open. I mean, it’s just an advice, in case you’d wanna draw someone with hair in a ponytail  :'D
There you go! I hope it is somewhat helpful.. If you would like, I can use your drawing and make little corrections to show you exactly what I mean by saying all this in a more visualized form ;) it’s totally fine if you don’t want me messing with your drawing  :)
2. Rendering!
It looks great especially in the background and the hair, but the face could have had a smoother change from one color to another  ;)
Overall, I think this truly turned out really good! For some reason this character reminds me of Sherlock Holmes from the British version of the series  ;D probably the combination of colors and the expression (oh and the black robe/coat).
Great job, Molly!
Sorry for so much rumbling...
edit: I just realized how many smiling faces I use when I do posts here... :'D
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 07:54:04 PM by Annuil »

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #2710 on: April 15, 2021, 03:36:02 PM »
Sorry, no tips from my side. I just wanted to say I like your artwork.

MollyVampiric

« Reply #2711 on: April 15, 2021, 07:25:17 PM »
Thank you all! And to Annuil, tysm ;D Your info is really helpful. If you have the time, I'll totally take you on your offer (the messing with my drawing one lol). That would be super interesting!

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #2712 on: April 15, 2021, 10:25:54 PM »
Yay! I get to play with good art! Here you go, Molly, this is just an advice, and I hope it works for you! (And hopefully you can read my scribbling :'D):
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsSnHPIBASO_yVbASKQfS_UMUR17
(I also did a tiny bit of rendering in the face color ^-^) it’s much easier to make things clear when you can just draw them. ;)
I always feel so bad when I critique people’s work... I myself love when people say what they think about my work and do feedback (even if it’s negative, that is needed sometimes), but when it comes to me doing the feedback... I try to be as honest as possible and keep track of not saying too much about what should be fixed but also about things that are good. I hope it is helpful and doesn’t make you feel bad. It was for sure delightful to work with your art!  ;D

MollyVampiric

« Reply #2713 on: April 16, 2021, 12:39:18 AM »
This is super helpful ;D I'm a pretty visual learner, so it's nice to see it like this. I'mma use this real quick, see if I can get something else done before next week.

catbirds

« Reply #2714 on: April 17, 2021, 03:29:45 AM »
catbirds Oooh I like the style of your hands! You've got a nice curve x straight lines rhythm going on there and the thing about wings isn't that weird:

1. Feathers are similar to fingers in profile. You have the straight back, the curve created by the digits on the opposite side, and also tapering going on.
2. Bones aren't centered in fingers in the same way the spine of feathers aren't.
3. Feathers are fingers.  ;D

This drawing is beautiful, you're right to be proud of it! The shadows, the flow, the impressive patience!  :'D <3 <3

Thanks! I did not know all these facts about hands. I just thought, well, all the tutorials I've seen compare wings to hands rather than the other way around, so I thought most people would have learned to draw hands first. Feathers are fingers... this statement will be my food for thought for the next few days, I think.

Oh, and I'm very interested in this strange discussion about drawing software :) I've been using CSP for a while and my biggest problem is how clean all the drawings look!! They're too clean!!!! Ugh!! Yes, even the oil brush. But Ps runs like a turtle on my computer, which is annoying.

MollyVampiric, very neat drawing! I'm curious about the universe this character's from!

As a side question, what sort of style do you want to achieve digitally? It's good to know (at least for me, I don't want to mislead you into wherever I've found myself :P)