Author Topic: The Forum's Art Museum  (Read 405285 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: The Forum's Art Museum
« Reply #2580 on: February 22, 2021, 03:47:46 PM »
Well spotted, Wave! "Glycon" comes from the same root as Glycogen, and more or less means "The Sweet One". Hence "Sweetie" :D

Seriously?!  Here I thought I was being an insufferable punster, and it's blimmin' canon?

And thank you, Mirasol, that one was done with pastel pencils.  The set already limits the palette. 
I'm still not completely happy with it; I'm already spoilt for the reworking possible with digital media.  I sneakily swapped over  revisions until the release, at which point I left it alone, but think it still needs work.

(The GG one was a doodle that I decided to colour as an afterthought.)
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #2581 on: February 22, 2021, 07:37:26 PM »
Oooh, This looks really cool! Glycon´s scales turned out really well, Wyrm! (I know that´s a very specific detail, but I draw dragons a lot and scales are my personal arch-nemesis. These look really good!)

Thank you! Although it's 90% tracing from a photo ;D

Seriously?!  Here I thought I was being an insufferable punster, and it's blimmin' canon?

I'm afraid so! ;D
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #2582 on: February 22, 2021, 08:10:00 PM »
These three are all badass fighters, who also share a love of cake.
Obligatory question: What if there is no cake? What if the cake...
...you can call him Sweetie, he doesn't mind!
Even more obligatory response: Hello, Sweetie!

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #2583 on: February 25, 2021, 04:13:42 AM »
Wyrm, your Sweetie is fantastic! And it's not that easy to turn a statue in a drawing. The scales and the face are very well done, and the backgroud fits them nicely.
Great work!
Oh, and what's the font you used? I like it!

I would have to make a Portuguese version to start spreading them around... It would be fun! Even if most would take it as some advertising, but who knows, we could end up with a cult... :)

Wave, great drawings! I like the way you draw noses. I always have trouble with noses, but you draw them fearlessly!
And I don't recall commenting on your new avatar, that is very pretty!
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #2584 on: February 27, 2021, 03:53:22 AM »
I would have to make a Portuguese version to start spreading them around... It would be fun! Even if most would take it as some advertising, but who knows, we could end up with a cult... :)
If you want it to become a cult and not mistaken as ads, translate it into something other than a locally-frequent language.
Spoiler: show

I hear that Finnish is a nigh-worldwide outlier. >:D
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #2585 on: February 27, 2021, 07:49:36 AM »
If you want it to become a cult and not mistaken as ads, translate it into something other than a locally-frequent language.
Spoiler: show

I hear that Finnish is a nigh-worldwide outlier. >:D

I guess you're right. But Latin is probably the best choice for anything "esotheric", don't you agree?

"Glycon defendat nos pestilentia nubibus" sounds quite ominous, :) and the similarities between Latin and Portuguese allow translation without a much effort:
"Glycon defende-nos das pestilentas nuvens"

(usualy we have substantive-adjective (so it would be "nuvens pestilentas"), but reversing the order is also correct, particularly in written form).
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

Groupoid

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #2586 on: February 27, 2021, 08:39:36 AM »
I think you changed the mode in your Latin translation. Your Latin says (as far as I can tell) "Glycon defends us ...", instead of "Glycon defend us ..." which would be "Glycon defende nos ...". I can’t tell anything about "pestilentia nubibus", I don’t know Latin well enough.
Anyhow, using Latin it sounds even more like you’re advertising for a cult and spreading prayers. :)
Native: :de: (:ch:), Ok: :gb:, Rusty: :fr:, A bit: :ru:

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #2587 on: February 27, 2021, 09:17:02 AM »
I think you changed the mode in your Latin translation. Your Latin says (as far as I can tell) "Glycon defends us ...", instead of "Glycon defend us ..." which would be "Glycon defende nos ...". I can’t tell anything about "pestilentia nubibus", I don’t know Latin well enough.
Anyhow, using Latin it sounds even more like you’re advertising for a cult and spreading prayers. :)
I think you're right. I don't know much Latin... Them it would be even closer to Portuguese:
"Glycon defende nos pestilentia nubibus"
But I found that you could also have: "Glycon pestilens tueantur nubibus".
I don't know enough to tell which is more appropriate in that context. I'm using my vague knowledge together with an dictionary :)

Pestilentia=plague, Pestilens=pestilential, unhealthy, unwholesome, tueantur=to guard, defend, protect, nubibus=clouds (plural, sing: nubes)

And yes, the idea here would be advertising for a cult as Wyrm suggested  >:D Now to find a suitable cave to hold the secret meetings...

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #2588 on: February 27, 2021, 05:06:07 PM »
Oi Glycon, suojele meitä kulkutaudilta!

Or, if we want to ask for protection against several or all forms of pestilence,

Ou Glycon, suojele meitä kulkutaudeilta!

(Kulkutauti = literally ”wandering disease”)
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #2589 on: February 28, 2021, 05:53:23 AM »
Here is a lizard I tried to draw.

The reason for drawing it is quite sad. My Grandma died lat tuesday. It was not a surprise she was diagnosed with pancreas cancer in late september. She then organized her funeral. And she decided that the biodegradable paint it yourself urn is hers. She said "my children, grandchildren and grand-grandchildren are all creative they will paint it". We were there last week to see her a last time and to help my mom because 24 hour care is nothing a single person can do alone.
My wife painted a butterfly on the urn and our kids and me painted cooperatively a lizard. Lizard were her favourite animals and nobody drew one.

I drew this lizard to remind me of her and for practicing to draw a lizard.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #2590 on: February 28, 2021, 08:29:40 AM »
Moredhel, I’m sorry for your loss! It was a fine thing of you, to draw a lizard for her! And this is a very fine lizard indeed!

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #2591 on: February 28, 2021, 09:08:25 AM »
Moredhel, that was a beautiful thing to do, and a good lizard. Sympathetic hugs are offered.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2592 on: February 28, 2021, 09:15:54 AM »
My condolences, Moredhel. An urn to paint yourself sounds like a very nice gesture. And your lizard indeed turned out really well!
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #2593 on: February 28, 2021, 12:00:02 PM »
Many thanks for all your kind words.

The urn is really great when I die I want one of these too. The outside is like cardboard an any paint and pencil we tried on it worked. There was a set of paint included, but we din't use it at all. As my mom said, we want something non toxic for the babys and something with more pigment in it for everyone else. She had bought a set of acrylic paint, but everyone who paints regulary brought spontaneously his own materials. Because only the stuff you work with best is appropriate for grannys urn. And it has now a mixture of paintings in different styles and techniques and food prints of the grand-grandchildren too young to paint.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #2594 on: February 28, 2021, 03:15:38 PM »
Moredhel, that’s really lovely! It would be interesting even if just one person painted it, be it the deceased or one of their offspring, but with many / all of the offspring participating is spectacular. And the baby footprints too! Thank you for sharing this thing with us.

I hope your dark time is a little bit lightened by our words here and the fact that you have now made Safe Zone Citizenship! Please proceed to the Promotion Celebrations thread for cake and probably also confetti.