Author Topic: The Forum's Art Museum  (Read 404114 times)

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
Re: The Forum's Art Museum
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2014, 07:57:03 AM »
I tried sketching up the bamboo room from Eich's post in the Dream Thread.

I can never get things to look how they do in my head :( so the room just did whatever it wanted to do, including having different vanishing points and perspectives of the furniture vs the floorboards vs the walls ;-; I can draw with perspective I swear! X'D my brain just didn't want to today, and it is a dream room......so I guess it does what it wants :P
My brain also forgot how to draw a cat-loaf and I was drawing with pen so I just ended up making the kitty a black blob :P haha oh dear....
Also, I don't paint, so excuse the colour field day X'P

Oh, I was just going to say that the colors are really cool. And it's a DREAM ROOM, so who needs perspective? :P (I also really want to live there. Maybe if someone fed the fish and maintained the pond for me.)

I also like the little studies you've got going in the corner. I really must try to find some good paper so I can use my india ink...

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2014, 05:28:43 PM »
I tried sketching up the bamboo room from Eich's post in the Dream Thread.

I can never get things to look how they do in my head :( so the room just did whatever it wanted to do, including having different vanishing points and perspectives of the furniture vs the floorboards vs the walls ;-; I can draw with perspective I swear! X'D my brain just didn't want to today, and it is a dream room......so I guess it does what it wants :P
My brain also forgot how to draw a cat-loaf and I was drawing with pen so I just ended up making the kitty a black blob :P haha oh dear....
Also, I don't paint, so excuse the colour field day X'P

I couldn't remember how water did the water thing, and I thought "What would Minna do...? DARKNESS! InK LInES! ARTISTIC FrEEdoM!"
Awesooooome!  *Is impressed*  In fact, there's only one thing that I would never let happen, even in my dreams... Apple products.  I wouldn't touch a Mac with a 10 foot pole.  Aside from that, great!  I'll see about starting a sketch or something tomorrow, or later today if I have time.  My roommate's asleep right now, so I have to be quiet; I'm sure the scratching of a pencil would be annoying.   :-X
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2014, 06:47:47 PM »
Awesooooome!  *Is impressed*  In fact, there's only one thing that I would never let happen, even in my dreams... Apple products.  I wouldn't touch a Mac with a 10 foot pole.  Aside from that, great!  I'll see about starting a sketch or something tomorrow, or later today if I have time.  My roommate's asleep right now, so I have to be quiet; I'm sure the scratching of a pencil would be annoying.   :-X
Yaaaaay! I'm actually glad it was recognizable AS a computer X'P I didn't deliberately draw a Mac, but it was either a weird flat apple thing or a beige/sandy colored box one, with all the air vents in the back of its screen-brain and weighs like a million kilos ;P heh

Oh my gosh! I forgot ladders on the beds! You guys can never reach them now! ;___; haha
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 06:49:32 PM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2014, 12:05:45 AM »
Yaaaaay! I'm actually glad it was recognizable AS a computer X'P I didn't deliberately draw a Mac, but it was either a weird flat apple thing or a beige/sandy colored box one, with all the air vents in the back of its screen-brain and weighs like a million kilos ;P heh

Oh my gosh! I forgot ladders on the beds! You guys can never reach them now! ;___; haha
Ah, CRTs, those were the days.  I would stick magnets on those when I was a kid, cause magnets were are fun to mess around with.

Eh, it's okay.  Our beds actually have ladders built into the head/footboards that we can climb up with.  Actually, I'm not sure if they had ladders in the dream or not... Hmm.  I'll have to fudge that around a bit tomorrow...
Also, forgot to say, pond-cat is adorable.
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2014, 12:13:40 AM »
Ah, CRTs, those were the days.  I would stick magnets on those when I was a kid, cause magnets were are fun to mess around with.

Eh, it's okay.  Our beds actually have ladders built into the head/footboards that we can climb up with.  Actually, I'm not sure if they had ladders in the dream or not... Hmm.  I'll have to fudge that around a bit tomorrow...
Also, forgot to say, pond-cat is adorable.
I miss that cool static-y hiss-click notice they made when you turned them on or off XP the TV version of that sound! It was scary and cool all at once: "is the monitor/tv going to explode in my face? Is it just turning off/on? Will I live to find out??" Ha...

Maybe that was why the girl wasn't happy- you didn't dream up any ladders! ;P

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2014, 01:21:55 PM »
I really hope this will post. I really really hope this will post. I've just completed my first ever complete chapter of a comic, and I'm super super excited about it. Also super tired. I've pulled off an all-nighter finishing it ;;_;;
Am notified of private messages via email.

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2014, 01:52:09 PM »
I really hope this will post. I really really hope this will post. I've just completed my first ever complete chapter of a comic, and I'm super super excited about it. Also super tired. I've pulled off an all-nighter finishing it ;;_;;

Congratulations!  :D
Personally I really liked it. Not being polite, I really did. The colour gamma is beautiful, and the lines are cool. It seems short, though, but there's gonna be more, of course. Have you already planned the whole story out?

And now I'm gonna say something mean. Like, very, very mean. It's all the monospaced font and the kerning. I know it's not that significant for a comic (it's not an book or a logo or a sign, after all), but maybe you would like to do a little research? Terribly sorry if it sounded rude, I just wish the text to be as awesome as the art. :-[
You can throw rocks at me, of course.
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

Lars_B

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Resident Domovai
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2014, 02:22:18 PM »

Cool! n cute!

Thanks for posting!
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Stumbling trough: :sweden:
:chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2014, 02:22:47 PM »
I agree with curiosity! It's wonderful, but the font could use a little work :) Thankfully it's not a terribly hard fix, I look forward to reading more!
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2014, 02:28:00 PM »
It's all the monospaced font and the kerning.
[Blast of the past]

Christ, how many months has it been since someone in the aRTD(!) comments pointed me over there? 8)

Edit:
http://xkcd.com/1015/
http://shahirzag.tumblr.com/post/31387507569/sacrilege-in-helvetica-bold

Re-edit:
http://type.method.ac/
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 02:55:41 PM by JoB »
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2014, 04:45:50 PM »
I really like it! :D I like the colours and Marcel and gosh how is Misha so chill- unless being a cat is a normal thing-- *bookmarks*
I didn't notice anything off with the font (I did notice the font, but just thought "Font." ;P) but then again I am reading it on a mobile, it might look way different on a monitor? I dunno.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2014, 04:57:37 PM »
I was hoping someone would start posting comics in here! 
Rest up; making awesome stuff overnight is tiring. 
Feel free to PM.

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2014, 05:12:30 PM »

Kudos to you!! It looks great, especially the colors.  ;D
I realllly want to start putting some comics up on tumblr, but I can't seem to get anything done.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2014, 06:59:08 PM »
I'm going to have to do double-posting in order to reply... unless I can be very succinct. Merging posts... and adding quotes...

Thank you for the comments, everyone! I'm really excited about this project, so I'm happy other people like it, too.

Ah, the font... don't hit me, but I purposefully chose that one because of its faults XD But if it's giving people the same irritation I get from smooth fonts, I'll change it!~ After rereading it for the umpteenth time, I can see I've placed the text awkwardly in several places, too - nothing to do with the font itself there, but everything to do with my placement. Mmm. Improvement ahead!

It seems short, though, but there's gonna be more, of course. Have you already planned the whole story out?

I've got the story all planned out - it's one that's been in development for over a year already, haha. Chapters are short in order to give me leeway to finish them within a week - I really don't want my motivation to deplete. The completed story will be 5-10 chapters long, depending on whether I need to add/subtract things.

I realllly want to start putting some comics up on tumblr, but I can't seem to get anything done.

This was my trouble for the longest of times - quite literally years. I've been drawing comic pages for years and years, but this is the first time I've actually managed to finish a chapter. Hence excitement! And sharing it everywhere! I'm super proud of myself just being able to finish that chapter, even if it can be improved.

I really like it! :D I like the colours and Marcel and gosh how is Misha so chill- unless being a cat is a normal thing-- *bookmarks*

Being a cat isn't normal - Misha just happens to be one of the most relaxed characters I've ever written, haha. Marcel's more the worrying type ;) He was the brainchild of many sleepless nights... "I haven't read a story with a protagonist that has con=lack of sleep! This needs to happen!"

I might add that the site is a mobile site, and hence the quality tends to be grainy on PC monitors :P

I was hoping someone would start posting comics in here! 
Rest up; making awesome stuff overnight is tiring. 

Oooh yeah. Hmm. Well. Three hours sleep is enough, right? ;) I'll catch up tonight...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 10:40:33 PM by Lenny »

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2014, 07:25:26 AM »
I probably won't post when I update other chapters (unless of course people want me to), but I had to for this one. Because improvements. Second chapter of Catspaw here.

So far, improved resolution, improved typesetting skills, better font used, longer episode... just better in general. The first chapter has been upgraded with new font and slightly better resolution jpg compression.