Author Topic: The Forum's Art Museum  (Read 401002 times)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: The Forum's Art Museum
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2014, 02:37:39 AM »

And because I like showing off my art (sorry not really but kind of) here's some of my art:
Nature Studies
My own inking stuff. (I haven't mastered the simple blocky look, but I soooo want to try more of it.)
I'm unaccountably fond of this.
Just so you get a broad overview of my art, including the kind of lazy and colorless stuff.

I like those a lot.  Are the "Nature Studies" based on any particular part of California?  The left-hand ones look like the inland (dry) side of the Coast Range (my old turf, around Mt. Diablo).  The right-hand ones look a bit like the Sierra.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2014, 09:56:25 PM »
I love these. I love them with a very strong sort of love. I love it when people use big chunks of black in their inking jobs, and this geometric shapes and all the vertical lines for texture... *deep intake of breath*. This is one of my favorite Inktober collections to date!
Aww, thanks! *blushes*

And because I like showing off my art (sorry not really but kind of) here's some of my art:
Nature Studies
My own inking stuff. (I haven't mastered the simple blocky look, but I soooo want to try more of it.)
I'm unaccountably fond of this.
Just so you get a broad overview of my art, including the kind of lazy and colorless stuff.
Ah, environments. There's a reason why most of my stuff so far is creatures. I think next month, if I don't do NaNoWriMo, will be "environments, environments, and more environments." (For some reason setting these monthly goal things seem to be working for me.) Also, I really like your skies. :) And the marsh-grass looks so...grassy.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 08:08:44 AM by mithrysc »

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2014, 01:47:47 AM »
I made this when I was in high school, with a lot of help from my bridge engineer dad:

It's supposed to be a model of the Penang Bridge but ended up looking more Generic Cable Stayed Bridge

Due to said bridge engineer dad, it's a working (albeit wonky-looking) model, with the wire "cables" anchored in the deck.

I'd forgotten it was on top of my bookcase in my room until the whole Øresund Bridge thing.  ;D

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2014, 02:04:21 AM »
Wow, that's amazing for a teenager.  What kind of class would assign you to make a model of a local bridge -- art, engineering, local history/geography? 

Your photo reminded me of something amazing I saw last year:  a handmade, redwood replica of the Bixby Creek Bridge in Big Sur (just south of Carmel, California, where my parents are from).
The replica itself is about 4 1/2' tall/my chin-height (I guess 1.5 meters?) and 13-14(?) feet long.  You'd need a big living room to fit this objet d'art! 

Close-up of the amazing workmanship.  I wanted to touch the polished wood SO MUCH.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 02:16:00 AM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2014, 04:21:12 AM »
Wow, that's amazing for a teenager.  What kind of class would assign you to make a model of a local bridge -- art, engineering, local history/geography? 

Your photo reminded me of something amazing I saw last year:  a handmade, redwood replica of the Bixby Creek Bridge in Big Sur (just south of Carmel, California, where my parents are from).
The replica itself is about 4 1/2' tall/my chin-height (I guess 1.5 meters?) and 13-14(?) feet long.  You'd need a big living room to fit this objet d'art! 

Close-up of the amazing workmanship.  I wanted to touch the polished wood SO MUCH.

Now that I think about it, it doesn't seem at all likely that it was for a class. It may have been for a National Day class display, and only this impressive because dad and I decided that overkill was the best way to approach it. Plus of course, a great father-daughter activity for dad to glow with pride over, while imparting Important Bridge Structure Knowledge to his spawnling.

That bridge is really beautiful; I've always been a bit of a sucker for them under-arches. The wooden replica is very well made, and I can certainly understand wanting to stroke it.   :D

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2014, 12:00:32 AM »
New sketching page, yay!  Scarf-girl is probably the closest I've ever gotten to finishing a sketch properly before.
I actually managed to make a couple faces, this time, too.  Ignore the group of scary marshmallow men in the corner.  They were... *sigh*
Link
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 12:03:57 AM by Eich »
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2014, 12:12:02 AM »
New sketching page, yay!  Scarf-girl is probably the closest I've ever gotten to finishing a sketch properly before.
I actually managed to make a couple faces, this time, too.  Ignore the group of scary marshmallow men in the corner.  They were... *sigh*
Link
Scarf girl is cool! And trendy!! OuO
The marshmallow men X'D do they have hats?
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2014, 05:21:19 AM »
Link

Yay! I think you are a lot like me when it comes to art, actually finishing stuff is such a hassle isn't it? The only thing I would like to see changed really is scarf girl's lower legs, maybe you could stretch those a bit further under the ankles. Muscle man looks like a cross between Eren from Attack on Titan and Gutts from Berserk.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 05:49:29 AM by Fimbulvarg »

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2014, 05:42:04 AM »
Yay! I think you are a lot like me when it comes to art, actually finishing stuff is such a hassle isn't it? The only thing I would like to see changed really is scarf girl's lower legs, maybe you could stretch those a bit further under the ancles. Muscle man looks like a cross between Eren from Attack on Titan and Gutts from Berserk.
Hmmmmm the ankles look fine to me? My ankles are like that, but, you know, not stylized :P
But the feet's foreshortening is.......slightly off but I'm terrible at feet so I don't know why or how to improve it... If they are foreshortened, that is.
Maybe they're on an angle where you can see the tops of them?
The chick directly on her left though has got some great flowing shapes and lines! She's got movement and character.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 05:43:58 AM by OrigamiOwl »

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2014, 05:53:50 AM »
Hmmmmm the ankles look fine to me? My ankles are like that, but, you know, not stylized :P
But the feet's foreshortening is.......slightly off but I'm terrible at feet so I don't know why or how to improve it... If they are foreshortened, that is.
Maybe they're on an angle where you can see the tops of them?
The chick directly on her left though has got some great flowing shapes and lines! She's got movement and character.

Hmm. Maybe. I mean, there are short people in this world, maybe I'm just too used to wiry elongated Europeans.

Skinny-jeans girl and her friend? Yeah, those hips are out of control!

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2014, 06:20:01 AM »
Hmm. Maybe. I mean, there are short people in this world, maybe I'm just too used to wiry elongated Europeans.

Skinny-jeans girl and her friend? Yeah, those hips are out of control!
Hehe my thoughts exactly! She could rock a sassy Norwegian double-belt! 

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2014, 06:50:54 AM »
Yay! I think you are a lot like me when it comes to art, actually finishing stuff is such a hassle isn't it? The only thing I would like to see changed really is scarf girl's lower legs, maybe you could stretch those a bit further under the ankles. Muscle man looks like a cross between Eren from Attack on Titan and Gutts from Berserk.
Scarf girl is cool! And trendy!! OuO
The marshmallow men X'D do they have hats?
I'm quite happy with how she (and the Native American skirt guy on the bottom) turned out, haha. Though I just realized her leg bones are still there... As for the feet, everyone on the page has potato chip feet, cause I haven't spent any time learning feet, yet.  Skirt boy got the worst of it, cause i didnt feel like fixing it up with him.  Hip girl was actually a bit referenced, especially for the hips, though I changed up a bit of the final pose, and I'm happy with how it turned out.  Muscle man was referenced from a YouTube thumbnail of a basket ball player, and I just added in everything below the pecs.  I'm pretty happy with how those four turned out.

Edit:  Okay, that was all written while eating breakfast this morning, on my phone, so that's why I didn't explain anything very clearly.  Just fixed it up a little bit.  Also, I just remembered: I did hair, and I'm actually happy with how it turned out for once.  Scarf girl and skirt guy turned out really well, I think, all in all.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 04:55:57 PM by Eich »
Feel free to PM.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2014, 02:37:34 AM »

Um... I am a living version of scarf-girl (with maybe slightly larger thighs, plus big duck-feet), so I can testify, there are lots of people with those proportions. 

That's why I never, never wear skinny jeans or anything that narrows at the ankles.  Boot-cut pants are much better at not making my legs look like giant ice cream cones. 

But enough about me.  Eich, scarf-girl's hair flows very realistically, and I like how the twists of the scarf echo the curves of her hair!

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2014, 04:56:10 PM »
Um... I am a living version of scarf-girl (with maybe slightly larger thighs, plus big duck-feet), so I can testify, there are lots of people with those proportions. 

That's why I never, never wear skinny jeans or anything that narrows at the ankles.  Boot-cut pants are much better at not making my legs look like giant ice cream cones. 

But enough about me.  Eich, scarf-girl's hair flows very realistically, and I like how the twists of the scarf echo the curves of her hair!

You don't have to be skinny to wear skinny jeans ;)

Eich certainly has a good eye for shape and flow, even in the marshmallow men :P

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2014, 04:03:24 AM »
I tried sketching up the bamboo room from Eich's post in the Dream Thread.

I can never get things to look how they do in my head :( so the room just did whatever it wanted to do, including having different vanishing points and perspectives of the furniture vs the floorboards vs the walls ;-; I can draw with perspective I swear! X'D my brain just didn't want to today, and it is a dream room......so I guess it does what it wants :P
My brain also forgot how to draw a cat-loaf and I was drawing with pen so I just ended up making the kitty a black blob :P haha oh dear....
Also, I don't paint, so excuse the colour field day X'P

I couldn't remember how water did the water thing, and I thought "What would Minna do...? DARKNESS! InK LInES! ARTISTIC FrEEdoM!"
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 04:31:06 AM by OrigamiOwl »