Author Topic: Duolingo discussion/friend exchange  (Read 35059 times)

Taskuhecate

• Tumblr
  • hellbent and heaven sent
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Duolingo discussion/friend exchange
« Reply #150 on: October 27, 2015, 12:12:31 PM »
Oh dear, I've been poking at duo for ages and I'm just so....bad...at keeping up with it.  XD  It was really funny when they finally came out with Swedish on it and I was like "hm, let's see where I test into it".  I tested into roughly...level 9-11 somewhere, I can't quite recall.

I was mostly trying to focus on Spanish/German, but...I got distracted (as you can see by my profile).

Feel free to follow me, though!  Maybe I'll get back into it again!
Fluent: :usa:
Literate: :fennoswede:
Trying to seriously study: :argentina:
Poked at: :finland: :iceland: :germany: :vaticancity: Nahuatl

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #151 on: November 02, 2015, 01:24:19 PM »
Right now I'm doing the swedish tree and the german tree. I did the danish tree a few years ago on a different account that no longer exists. For the most part I use duo as a supplement to practise vocabulary. Most of the actual language learning I do is immersion stuff, so reading books and watching movies in the target language or going to places where the language is spoken. Duo is fun though. I know how to say all sorts of weird stuff because of it. :P
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 12:39:55 PM by Feartheviolas »
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

elynshi

« Reply #152 on: November 08, 2015, 07:08:15 AM »
(kirvel was my old account, but I got locked out for some reason.)
My DL username is elynnshi.
I use Duolingo a lot with my Swedish learning, I like the straightforwardness of the lessons. Of course, I use a variety of other resources too. Sometimes, I also use the English/Chinese course to brush up my translation skills between the two languages.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 07:56:52 AM by elynshi »

Troposphère

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • because chaos.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #153 on: November 11, 2015, 09:40:36 AM »
I'm fschhh on duolingo. Someone already uses Troposphere???!

i'm very bad at it too (and languages in general), but I will try to use it more often.

EDIT:
Maybe we could try here to get some people to start a course. I've seen a lot of native Finns around and a few other people who speak Icelandic. I'm not sure how duo decides what gets to be a course, but if we put a few posts around we might get enough people to apply to get those courses started. I'd definitely be interested in working on an Icelandic course.

I'd be interested! I was using http://icelandiconline.is/ (but like duolingo, stopped at some point without a good reason)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 10:00:29 AM by Troposphère »
native: :france:
ok: :uk:
have learned for years but can just say hi: :germany:
just a few words: :sweden: :iceland:

Dorsalus

• Tumblr
« Reply #154 on: January 24, 2016, 06:26:16 AM »
I am Dorsalus on Duolingo, tried to add as many of you lovely people as possible. It's surprisingly click intensive to add multiple people at once.
Native :australia:
Learning :norway: :finland:
Want to learn  :poland: :russia:

:chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Krisse Kovacs

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #155 on: January 24, 2016, 05:24:14 PM »
I started elarning with this,is suck so much and misleads with teaching it takes the translation too literally and it can confuse people, like why tack means please? because there is one situation when english says please, but swedish, tack BUT THIS STUPID SITE COUNT THEM MEANING ONE THING.
and probably even more. it sucks, one reason I use it, because it might help with vocabulary..... or maybe not, since it misleads people sometime
this is just a stupid site where you learn what they want you to learn, learn basic sentences created by them, but do not teach the details as deep as a normal teacher, nobody explains why tack meant please there. and when it asked me to pair the words (swedish with english word) it wanted me to do it with tack and please, and I don't get why.
well, I actually I understand why, because I already get some swedish, but stilll. but the site did not teach me that tack mean thanks yet.....
okay, I am the very beginning

I use phone, just saying, I just do some before-sleep learning, like a good night story or something

anyone want to add me? no clue what my name is, probably something like my name here, I mean I dunno username, but I registered with this name. I could add people, anyone?
can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #156 on: February 09, 2016, 03:24:16 PM »
hey martti,

I was a bit frustrated myself when I changed from computer to the app because nearly nothing gets explained on the app. They say it is for the reason of "intuitive learning" but all that would do to me is learning sentences by heart.

So from time to time I switch back to regular internet and yaaaaaay there is explanations to the lessons =). Often not the most best but eh, enough to give me hints for further search. For turkish I also added the "Hacking Turkish" courses at memrise, not sure if they have something similar for swedish. Memrise truly is only learning by heart but it gave me a nice set of vocabulary and stupid repetetive training I need from time to time.

Don't give up yet, tack!
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
« Reply #157 on: June 29, 2016, 12:13:27 AM »
Welp, if anyone wants my Duolingo account name, it's PhasmaPhasmatis (I honestly have no idea why. I think my brother just Googled something in Latin and that's what i went with). I've mostly been using it to practice Spanish and to help learn German (though I've started like 15 different courses XD )
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :canada: :usa: :australia: :uk:
Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

VibratingText

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: He/him
« Reply #158 on: September 06, 2016, 09:24:12 PM »
Got back into the swing of things on Duolingo just in time for cool leg to start again, which is good because the community college I go to doesn't have any language courses besides Spanish, and not once in my life have I taken Spanish (besides one or two 'club' classes in like third grade, which don't count).

Username is Llsemarne if you're interested. Ignore my 'taking' of Portuguese, I clicked it by accident.
:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15:

Native: :usa:
Tolerable: :germany:
Still Learning: :italy:
n00b at: :russia: :norway: :japan:

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
« Reply #159 on: November 11, 2016, 07:39:22 PM »
Weeeell, I decided to acctually start using Duolingo more. And apparently that means mass-following y'all on here. So that happened. XD

Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

PickleChip

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • c[]xxx[]:::::::::::::::>
  • Preferred pronouns: all of them, they're all mine now, i stole them
« Reply #160 on: November 11, 2016, 08:43:15 PM »
Mine is picklechip14. I started out with french, and still kinda do it, but not that often. I then chose Norwegian after reading SSSS and have been doing that. You can see how I got really bored one day and tried to learn 13 more languages. Probably because I thought it would be awesome to somehow be in a situation where someone needed to speak a language and I would be the only one who could and all my friends would think I was cool. That would most likely never happen.:) I gave up on most of them, and really only do Norwegian now.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 08:46:32 PM by PickleChip »
If I'm both pan and genderfluid, then no matter who I like, it's gay and I think that's beautiful
Fluent: :usa:
Learning: all?
:chap12::book2::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #161 on: November 11, 2016, 09:06:30 PM »
Friends on Duolingo... but I used my real name... but friends on Duolingo... but I used my real name... :-\
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
« Reply #162 on: November 12, 2016, 09:45:33 PM »
You can see how I got really bored one day and tried to learn 13 more languages.
Yay for trying to learn all the languages while bored, woo! XD

Sulwyn

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #163 on: May 21, 2017, 04:46:31 PM »
Are there any duolingo users here?

I've been using duolingo off and on and its pretty fun/helpful, I think!
I'm learning Irish, I love the accent and its fun to know words in other languages to use randomly during everyday life.

Abprallen

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • The Frenchiest of Fries
« Reply #164 on: May 21, 2017, 05:07:57 PM »
Waves!
I use duolingo! I've been using it to primarily learn Swedish and to brush up on my German, but also to reteach myself Dutch. I started to learn Irish, but I think you're having more fun than I did with it!