Author Topic: Quick language switching: how easy is it?  (Read 13548 times)

Annuil

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Quick language switching: how easy is it?
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2020, 05:13:33 PM »
Aww, that´s so sweet! I halfway-recruted a friend of mine too to practice Finnish on her, but sadly she didn´t really show any interest in the language and started to seem annoyed by me (she didn´t say anything, but I could tell that after a while she didn´t want to ask me anymore what the heck I just wrote), so I stopped... Oh well, looks like my brother or so will have to suffer in her place.  :'D
Oh, that’s sad... well, siblings always work okey for that kind of stuff >:D :'D
Thank you! This is indeed an opinion I hear rarely... Yeah, it´s really fun if you talk to someone who mixes the same languages as you do. The best part are the confused faces of the people nearby. :'D

Ahaha, yeah, peoples faces...
That actually makes you proud sometimes that you can understand a language people around don’t get  :'D
Native:🇷🇺
Fluent:🇺🇸(🇬🇧)
Can say some phrases:🇫🇷🇩🇰
Learning:🇫🇮🇸🇪🇪🇸
Want to learn: 🇮🇸🇩🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2020, 07:13:14 PM »
Oh, about Finnish that no one around knows... I have the most wonderful friend ever, who can speak in about four languages and who was so interested in my idea of studying Finnish, that she learned a few phrases in Finnish herself, so now in the evenings sometimes I get a “hyvää yötä” instead of “good night” :))

That sounds lovely! I need more friends who are learning the same languages I am so that I have someone to practice with. I have a lot of friends who speak Mandarin, but for everything else I'm mostly on my own. Sometimes I'll switch into Japanese around my family, which none of them can understand. At this point I think they're mostly used to it but not always happy about it. Sometimes I say things in Spanish just to make sure I don't forget it, but I inevitably have to switch into Japanese because I've lost so much Spanish vocabulary. Once I start speaking a foreign language, it seems my brain's internal switch gets flipped to "generic foreign language." As long as it's not English, my brain seems to think it's an acceptable word to use. This leads to weirdness such as "kyou, quiero ir a la koen." (When my brain switched out the Spanish words for "today" and "park" into Japanese).
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :canada: :usa: :australia: :uk:
Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2020, 11:47:30 PM »
That sounds lovely! I need more friends who are learning the same languages I am so that I have someone to practice with. I have a lot of friends who speak Mandarin, but for everything else I'm mostly on my own.
Yeah, that’s true! And it’s so useful to have a friend to talk with in a foreign language, waaay easier to learn that language. That’s mostly how I learn my English - by having conversations with my “American cousins“ (we aren’t really cousins, we just call each other this way :'D)
Sometimes I'll switch into Japanese around my family, which none of them can understand. At this point I think they're mostly used to it but not always happy about it. Sometimes I say things in Spanish just to make sure I don't forget it, but I inevitably have to switch into Japanese because I've lost so much Spanish vocabulary. Once I start speaking a foreign language, it seems my brain's internal switch gets flipped to "generic foreign language." As long as it's not English, my brain seems to think it's an acceptable word to use. This leads to weirdness such as "kyou, quiero ir a la koen." (When my brain switched out the Spanish words for "today" and "park" into Japanese).
Wow, that’s cool. I‘ve always  respected people who are learning Asian languages (like Chinese, Japanese, Korean and others) because for me it seems super hard. I know a guy who is learning Japanese and heard him saying some phrases. It sounds so interesting.
Making up a language is such a problem! And another thing is when you have a language you have created so you start using words from it and no one in the world would get that!  :'D
(I write fantasy stories so I made up a few words for different race there and now it’s hard sometimes to not say them accidentally)
And about mixing up the languages... oh, my, I think I speak sometimes in a language made out of three other ones! But it’s always fun to try to understand other people who are doing that (I think I already talked about this in some other post)
I just love different languages and how different people use different languages and how they learn new language, sometimes just out of curiosity...

lumilaulu

« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2020, 03:38:45 PM »
sometimes just out of curiosity...
You're not implying curiosity is an odd reason for learning new languages, are you?

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2020, 04:55:14 PM »
You're not implying curiosity is an odd reason for learning new languages, are you?
No, not at all! I personally am learning several languages just out of curiosity! What I meant was that it’s interesting that people do that :)
In a good way