Author Topic: Minnion Map  (Read 58133 times)

Lars_B

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Resident Domovai
Minnion Map
« on: November 29, 2014, 10:15:33 PM »
Edit (Gwenno)
Here's a link to the newest version of the Minnion map as of February 2019. Any changes to the map location will be updated on the first page to make it easier to find
^-^

Would a Minnion Map be a good idea?
There are a lot of SSSS readers from all over the globe, mostly, and I think it would be a cool idea to have a map where those who wants could place themselves.

Exactly how this would be done I don't know but I guess there are people here who knows or have Ideas on how to do this.

/L
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 05:10:12 PM by Gwenno »
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Stumbling trough: :sweden:
:chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Noah O.

• Scout
  • History Geek
Re: Minnion Map
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 10:16:46 PM »
This is actually a pretty good idea, I would think. Maybe one of us here has some decent graphics design skills or something.

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 12:13:22 AM »
There are a lot of SSSS readers from all over the globe, mostly, and I think it would be a cool idea to have a map where those who wants could place themselves.

Exactly how this would be done I don't know but I guess there are people here who knows or have Ideas on how to do this.

/L
I was thinking about this early this morning.  A lot of people who made accounts here weren't willing to divulge information on their locations, so they would have to be left out, unfortunately.  Aside from them, someone could go through the members list and... tally all of the locations for different members.  It would be a pain to start but, once finished, it would be easy to update because the members list can be sorted by sign-up date, so any new arrivals could be added easily as long as update dates are recorded.
Feel free to PM.

Lars_B

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Resident Domovai
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 12:29:49 AM »
Is there no way of doing it via google maps? so that those who know how to can place themselves?
:chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 12:34:16 AM »
Is there no way of doing it via google maps? so that those who know how to can place themselves?
That would probably work... 
This thread would definitely get more attention in the SSSS board than here in the GDB.  I can move it over to there, if you'd like, once someone sets up a google maps.
Feel free to PM.

Lars_B

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Resident Domovai
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 12:39:53 AM »
That would probably work... 
This thread would definitely get more attention in the SSSS board than here in the GDB.  I can move it over to there, if you'd like, once someone sets up a google maps.

I have no problem with movement of threads if you think that would be better

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 05:30:20 AM »
There are a lot of SSSS readers from all over the globe, mostly, and I think it would be a cool idea to have a map where those who want could place themselves.

/L

Yes!!!  I was just thinking how nice a map would be. 

Maybe something where the outline of each country could change color (or be brighter shades of a single color, like a "heat map") based on the # of members from each country (so Finland, Norway, Germany, and the U.S. would glow brightly, France and Australia medium-bright, etc.).

It might also help motivate new readers to sign up as members if they are from a hitherto-unrepresented country.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 06:58:33 AM »
How does this google maps thing work? Does one need an account to set it up, so all the others can use it?
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 10:36:18 AM »
Maps are fun.

If it does need an account it would just be a regular old Google account. (Probably)

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 10:40:37 AM »
Maps are fun.

If it does need an account it would just be a regular old Google account. (Probably)

yes, that would be required. I don't have one anymore, so I won't be able to set that ab.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 10:45:16 PM »
Hey everyone!  We now have a map of the SSSS fanbase!
We were talking about starting this somewhere on the forum, in its earliest days, but I couldn't find a specific thread (probably completely missed it if it's there), so I'm just putting this in here.  If this is indeed the thread we talked about that idea in, then hurray, I have done it.  This will just be a fun little project to visualize our geography.  You don't have to participate if you don't want to.

Here's the map: https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1262583

To add a marker for yourself, click on Additions > Add Marker - Simple OR Add marker - Detailed, and then fill out your info.  Then, the map will throw a marker down for you, simple as that! 
Thanks to Ufo for finding this!

Edit: should this go here, or in the General Discussion Board?  I'll let y'all decide.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 10:48:12 PM by Eich »
Feel free to PM.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 10:55:03 PM »
Great job, Eich!
I posted an icon for myself -- guess which one??   ;)

I think this should be a separate thread in the General Discussion board, for 2 reasons.
1) This thread is likely to get lots of use, so your post w/instructions might get buried;
2) Despite the mapping connection, this is a separate application.  Because it has to do with Forum members, I think it would be good to make sticky (so it's always visible).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 07:17:44 PM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 12:04:40 AM »
I agree on putting this into the general discussion :) I can also toss a lot to it into the forum index (which probably needs to be updated anyway...)
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 10:28:28 AM »
I agree - General Discussion!

Thanks for this Eich, it's a useful addition. :)
My one-and-only: :uk:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 07:11:39 PM »
Alright!  General discussion it is. 
All moved in and settled.
Feel free to PM.